Sponsored

Newsflash: Overlands aren’t just Mall Crawlers!

AZJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I'm sorry but being a sports photographer and videographer this is not Tiktok. Stop filming in portrait. Nobody wants to watch videos in portrait mode. Everyone's flat screen TV is in landscape.
I was busy DRIVING, so I took what I was given. :LOL:
Sponsored

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sorry but being a sports photographer and videographer this is not Tiktok. Stop filming in portrait. Nobody wants to watch videos in portrait mode. Everyone's flat screen TV is in landscape.
Hell, If you had known Cecil B. Demille was going to be there, you could have done your Evil Kenevil impersonation.....

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
Guess it makes about as much sense as paying $50K for a capable off road vehicle and using it to get groceries.

Believe it or not, it wasn't nearly as bad as all that. Water was only about 2ft at the deepest, but the bow wave displaced did come over the hood for about 5 secs. Pic was grabbed from a video, I just picked the gnarliest looking frame to screen grab. A group of 5 Gladiators and 3-4 JLs/JKs ran it before we did, including a stock Sahara. We rode about 15 more miles of trail after that, then another 50 miles or so back home. Started up and ran fine for the next morning's trip to the car wash too, so there don't seem to have been any ill effects.
Cool picture but you‘ll be doing yourself a favor if you slow down and avoid that bow wave in the future, just sayin’.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ATLalien

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Cool picture but you‘ll be doing yourself a favor if you slow down and avoid that bow wave in the future, just sayin’.
I think you're right, probably should've taken it slower. I was worried going to slow might get me stuck and felt like I should keep momentum, but it probably would've still crawled right out as long as I kept the throttle steady. Started from a dead stop, so I didn't have a chance to build up too much speed, but I probably hit it around 10-12 mph.

Zilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I think you're right, probably should've taken it slower. I was worried going to slow might get me stuck and felt like I should keep momentum, but it probably would've still crawled right out as long as I kept the throttle steady. Started from a dead stop, so I didn't have a chance to build up too much speed, but I probably hit it around 10-12 mph.
Going through water is fun and pretty safe, but mud is exceptionally destructive. Ya ever watched the mud scrunch up between the crevices of your toes when you were a kid?? It scrunches the same way through every crack and crevice of your Jeep.

OldFloridaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Going through water is fun and pretty safe, but mud is exceptionally destructive. Ya ever watched the mud scrunch up between the crevices of your toes when you were a kid?? It scrunches the same way through every crack and crevice of your Jeep.
I learned that the hard way - I was over in Germany working for the DoD, and took my JKU out on an overland trip (group that was raising money for a UK veterans organization, and ran a 4x4 rally that traced the Easy Company/Band of Brothers route from the UK through Germany). One of the events took place at an old surface mine that had been turned into an off road park. Went through a puddle of similar size and wave pattern, and the entire Jeep was caked with grime.

JK was just fine, but I wasn't when I was getting ready to sell it to a service member before I returned home. To get the vehicle approved to be shipped home, it had to be absolutely spotless, and the guy wouldn't buy it until it was inspected and approved for shipping. I spent the better part of a week cleaning out the engine bay. With a toothbrush. Took two inspections before I got it clean enough for the guy to buy it from me.

Sponsored

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant

OldSkull

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
They aren't boats either. That's a lot'o watah
Another bone stock overland doing it’s thing

Jeep Gladiator Newsflash:  Overlands aren’t just Mall Crawlers! B697F3AA-31DF-41CC-B1F1-A0062A8D4DCE

Jeep Gladiator Newsflash:  Overlands aren’t just Mall Crawlers! B697F3AA-31DF-41CC-B1F1-A0062A8D4DCE

Great looking Gladiator.
Ive got an Overland also and looking to get it out on some light trails with the family soon before I do any upgrades. Haven’t wheeled a Jeep off-road in over a decade. I I’ve got some recovery gear but not much else yet.
Are the stock tires (Bridgestone Duellers) ok for some light wheeling or should I break the bank and move up to some 33”s MTs or Ats before I take the Jeep off-road?
Any other tips for wheeling a stock Overland or what upgrades I should do first?
Thanks!

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Ive got an Overland also and looking to get it out on some light trails with the family soon before I do any upgrades. Haven’t wheeled a Jeep off-road in over a decade. I I’ve got some recovery gear but not much else yet.
My opinion, which isn't worth much, is to go have some fun with it as it is and see what you think will get you smiling even more - I know I'll be tempted to throw money and parts at mine immediately, but I learned with my last (current) vehicle that it just means so much more to know what it used to be able to do versus what it can now do. I dunno, maybe I'm weird but it makes me appreciate the upgrades more.

OP
OP
ATLalien

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Great looking Gladiator.
Are the stock tires (Bridgestone Duellers) ok for some light wheeling or should I break the bank and move up to some 33”s MTs or Ats before I take the Jeep off-road?
Any other tips for wheeling a stock Overland or what upgrades I should do first?
Thanks!
The stock tires, all season tires don't look right on the truck to my eye, but they're just fine for "light" wheeling, though that may depend on how you define "light". I plan to replace the tires, but am still running stock now, and they've been fine for me on the forest service trails I normally run. They found enough traction to get out of the mud puddle in the original post!

In other news, I've nearly completed the clean up now. There actually wasn't much mud to clean up, just a film from the dirty water. Pulled the airbox to make sure nothing got past it and there was nothing out of the ordinary there. Alternator looks good as well. Will probably change diff fluid at next oil change too.

Wrapped the intake and alternator in plastic and sprayed out the engine bay, but the film still persists in places. Anyone have any favorite products for cleaning the engine bay?

OldSkull

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
The stock tires, all season tires don't look right on the truck to my eye, but they're just fine for "light" wheeling, though that may depend on how you define "light". I plan to replace the tires, but am still running stock now, and they've been fine for me on the forest service trails I normally run. They found enough traction to get out of the mud puddle in the original post!

In other news, I've nearly completed the clean up now. There actually wasn't much mud to clean up, just a film from the dirty water. Pulled the airbox to make sure nothing got past it and there was nothing out of the ordinary there. Alternator looks good as well. Will probably change diff fluid at next oil change too.

Wrapped the intake and alternator in plastic and sprayed out the engine bay, but the film still persists in places. Anyone have any favorite products for cleaning the engine bay?
thanks for the info.
yes I’m planning on a bigger Aggressive tire a steel stubby bumper with a winch soon.
The plan for now is light wheeling on maintained trails with my kids 5yrs and 9yrs old, just to get the kids out and into it and let them help with upgrades and mods as we move along.

I liked the Overland because it looks like a good platform to start building off of, and it fit within the my Wife’s cap of “Under $40,000” lol
I got it new for $38,000 which kept my wife happy. And the kids will have fun building it with me over time as we find things we’d like to upgrade.
Sponsored