Sponsored

Not complaining, but auto start/stop has never been 'on' in my new 2023 gladiator

Jason_92586

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator 6 Speed Manual
Occupation
Artist - Designer
I've had it for about a week, and it does not seem to be auto starting/stopping at traffic lights etc. I didn't turn it off I don't even know how to do that. Now.....I don't want it to START doing that either:)...just curious as to why it never did that from the start. It's a manual
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
How long did it sit on the dealer lot? ESS doesn't activate unless the batteries are charged up. There is a button on the dash to turn ESS off, it has to be pressed every time the vehicle is started. To preserve the battery life, they should be independently charged, and the IBS reset, but then the ESS will start working.

Wildtoad

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys
Occupation
Retired, former mainframe computer bit twiddler
There is a relatively long list of things that will prevent the ESS to activate:

 Driver’s seat belt is not buckled
 Driver’s door is not closed
 Battery temperature is too warm or cold
 Battery charge is low
 The vehicle is on a steep grade
 Cabin heating or cooling is in process and an accept- able cabin temperature has not been achieved
 HVAC is set to full defrost mode at a high blower speed
 HVAC set to MAX A/C
 Engine has not reached normal operating temperature
 Engine temperature too high
 The transmission is not in a forward gear
 Hood is open
 Transfer case is in 4L or N (Neutral)
 Brake pedal is not pressed with sufficient pressure
 Accelerator pedal input
 Vehicle speed threshold not achieved from previous Autostop
 Steering angle beyond threshold
 ACC is on and speed is set
 Vehicle is at high altitude
 System fault present

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Yup, if you got one of the "been sitting on dealer lot for a year" JT's on a heavy discount, then the batteries need charged.

Best way to do it is separate the battery cables and charge them independently. Also there is a big black box on the negative side of main battery, make sure you get both cables off of that for the charge.

dayusmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Mojave & 2022 JLU High-Tide
Occupation
Retired Marine; Divorce Attorney
do you wear your seatbelt? if you don't it won't engage.
This is the one that got me. I couldn't figure out why it worked for my wife but not for me.... I don't wear my seatbelt 🤣

Shopt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Liberty
Occupation
Retired teacher
I've had it for about a week, and it does not seem to be auto starting/stopping at traffic lights etc. I didn't turn it off I don't even know how to do that. Now.....I don't want it to START doing that either:)...just curious as to why it never did that from the start. It's a manual
Thats what happened to me, it will work once it gets used to your driving patterns D HIATT

YooperCracker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator MT6, 2011 Ford Ranger MT5
My 2022 Rubicon is a manual and my ESS has worked only a few times. I'm a rare soul who doesn't mind start/stop. I wish it would work more often, but it always says not ready.

Sponsored

Semtex10

First Name
Karry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Maserati Quattroporte GTS
Occupation
None
I bought my 21 diesel gladiator used, and the start stop did not work. It sat at the dealership for a month with them, changing everything batteries, and that chip that goes between them, everything.

my buddy purchased a new 2023 and it never worked from day one either. I am glad because I am one of the people that hate the start stop feature, but I just wanted it working since it was their job to repair my vehicle to standards since my vehicle was supposed to be a certified conditioned vehicle. Hahaha. Really bummed out from the service I get at the two dealerships close to me.

I do not like that the ESS system displays that the auxiliary panel buttons do not work at this time.

Good luck getting it going Good luck getting it going.

CampThree

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Mojave, 1993 C1500 Silverado,
Occupation
Retired US Marine
I've had my 22 Mojave seven months and every time I start it the ESS light comes on automatically. I've never had to touch the ESS button on startup. The Jeep had around 6K on the clock when I got it so maybe the previous owner did something. Batteries show full charge.

Scott0700

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Self Employed
My 18 JKU manual did not have start stop. Autos did.
Are you sure you have it?

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
I've had my 22 Mojave seven months and every time I start it the ESS light comes on automatically. I've never had to touch the ESS button on startup. The Jeep had around 6K on the clock when I got it so maybe the previous owner did something. Batteries show full charge.
Check your OBD2 port you either have a taser or one of the auto start stop Eliminator dongles
Sponsored