Sponsored

Notchy Steering After TSB 08-074-20

akneppers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
So thought I'd create a new thread separate of the TSB thread. But i got the TSB completed and noticed that I definitely got a notchy feeling steering. My fluid a little above the cold line when I checked after it sat all night. I tried to turn the wheel from lock to lock to bleed out air. But if i turn the wheel slowly while not moving I can feel the electric power steering notch through what feel like detents.

Anyone else?
Sponsored

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
So thought I'd create a new thread separate of the TSB thread. But i got the TSB completed and noticed that I definitely got a notchy feeling steering. My fluid a little above the cold line when I checked after it sat all night. I tried to turn the wheel from lock to lock to bleed out air. But if i turn the wheel slowly while not moving I can feel the electric power steering notch through what feel like detents.

Anyone else?
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...chy-steering-after-tsb-new-box-install.34593/

[PS, not me, but I noticed that there was another thread with someone mentioning this]

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Yup. I’ve been posting the same. I got the same issue

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
For what it’s worth, I get a twitch/notch with the original steering box when sitting at a stop with my hand resting on the wheel. Doesn’t sound as bad as you mentioned, but about every 10 secs or so, it’ll twitch and provide feedback through the wheel. This is without moving the wheel... just resting with some tension on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

akneppers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah so i checked the oil level and all seemed good. But I get the twitch too, but its a weird almost tactile clicking. And when i hold the steering wheel i can hear almost a whirling sound. I checked the oil level while doing this and it still held full. There is oil around the replacement box but i attributed it to replacing the old box with the new. Since my PS fluid never hasnt dropped.

Sponsored

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
I noticed the twitchy/notchy feeling the first day slowly driving through the parking lot. I haven't noticed it lately. So idk I can't contribute any help.

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2020, Cherokee 1995, Cherokee 1993

Anyone else?

I dont know if we are having the exact same issue, but it could be.
I found that after the TSB was done, the dealership left a bolt loose. On the steering column, going into the steering box, there is a universal joint covered by a rubber boot. There is a small exposed bolt that holds the joint in place. That bolt was VERY loose on mine, which caused some strange behavior with the electric steering. It was constantly trying to adjust my steering wheel, and felt a little loose.

If that bolt is loose on yours, it could be causing part of your issue.
Hope this helps!

OP
OP

akneppers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Notchy Steering After TSB 08-074-20 86602B25-12B0-49DA-9A2F-E20B3A4FA76C

this guy? That’s the thread side
Looks like the other side of that. Mine was a 1/2 bolt and mine was actually tight.

appreciate the help though, I was hoping it was it!

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2020, Cherokee 1995, Cherokee 1993
Jeep Gladiator Notchy Steering After TSB 08-074-20 86602B25-12B0-49DA-9A2F-E20B3A4FA76C

this guy? That’s the thread side
Not that one, there is another one... maybe on the other side?
Ill take a pic tomorrow and upload it.
I dont think it was a 1/2, but I could be wrong.

Mine was VERY loose, and I was able to get a socket on it without taking anything off. Just a tight squeeze from above.

Heres a diagram of what im talking about.
https://parts.thomascdj.com/v-2020-...ering--steering-column-and-intermediate-shaft
On this diagram, its part number 10.

I hope this helps someone. Haha

Sponsored

OP
OP

akneppers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dropped her off at the dealership this morning, showed the tech the issue and he definitely noticed the wheel start pulling itself while turning.

@Geekjeep you take yours in or find the issue?

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
I haven’t had time but will try and drop it off today. The issue is with mine it’s not major. It’s just a wierd notchy feel. They may say it’s the 37s. For sure my system wasn’t bled as I’ve had to refill my reservoir three times. It didn’t drop to empty but that means air is coming out. The only reason I don’t think it’s air is because it’s consistant. Feels like your riding some small gentle cogs as you turn the wheel. It’s most noticeable while turning left around 15mph at like 10 oclock

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, TJ
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
For what it’s worth, it get a twitch/notch with the original steering box when sitting at a stop with my hand resting on the wheel. Doesn’t sound as bad as you mentioned, but about every 10 secs or so, it’ll twitch and provide feedback through the wheel. This is without moving the wheel... just resting with some tension on it.
I had the same wheel feedback prior to TSB replacement. I have not noticed the feedback since. I have also not felt any gear clicks/notchy feel after TSB replacement.

OP
OP

akneppers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah its weird, I never had the wheel feedback before the TSB but got it now. Tech thought it maybe a bad new gearbox so theyre gonna order one just incase but theyre opening a stars case to see what FCA says.

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
is your really noticeable. Mine is like a gentle gliding over a few cogs. Its just consistent and wierd.
Sponsored