Sponsored

Pentastar lasts over 600k miles with no issues?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element

takeitsleazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2008 JL
The 3.6 in my JK was perfect. I only had 60k (in 7 years) on it before selling, but I was meticulous with the maintenance. Iā€™m very happy with the engine overall, itā€™s why I didnā€™t hesitate snapping up a gladiator.

My wifeā€™s 3.8 is burning oil and itā€™s a nightmare trying to research a cause- apparently everything is suspect. Weā€™ll be moving in the next couple years, and Iā€™ve convinced her to sell it before that time. Thank god.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 3.6 in my JK was perfect. I only had 60k (in 7 years) on it before selling, but I was meticulous with the maintenance. Iā€™m very happy with the engine overall, itā€™s why I didnā€™t hesitate snapping up a gladiator.

My wifeā€™s 3.8 is burning oil and itā€™s a nightmare trying to research a cause- apparently everything is suspect. Weā€™ll be moving in the next couple years, and Iā€™ve convinced her to sell it before that time. Thank god.
Please elaborate on being meticulous with maintenance, for those who may not know anything about maintaining an engine beyond oil changes or who have their own views what that means

takeitsleazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2008 JL
Please elaborate on being meticulous with maintenance, for those who may not know anything about maintaining an engine beyond oil changes or who have their own views what that means
Nothing extraordinary, to be frank. Following the service schedule. Keeping the engine bay clean, extra fluid and filter checks after fording water, and most important for me, 5 tire rotations. I do periodic sea foam treatments to the oil, gas, and manifold as well. Iā€™m a carpenter, not a mechanic, so all the simple stuff that can be taken care of with a basic set of tools is well worth the time invested imo. Iā€™m probably forgetting things, and probably not doing as much as I could. But thatā€™s why I frequent forums like this- It taught me everything I know about working on vehicles

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Having torn down or swapped several extremely clean 200k+ engines when I wrenched, it never failed it was some old dude who bought it new and it was always the same story: quality gas, quality oil, and extremely diligent oil changes using the "severe duty" maintenance schedule.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having torn down or swapped several extremely clean 200k+ engines when I wrenched, it never failed it was some old dude who bought it new and it was always the same story: quality gas, quality oil, and extremely diligent oil changes using the "severe duty" maintenance schedule.
quality gas?

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
quality gas?
Higher quality gas includes detergents and the like that reduce carbon build-up and keep valves and the passageways in the heads cleaner. Chevron's Techron or Shell V-Power are examples but they're generally all the same.

This is sort of a bullshit certification companies have to pay for but all these companies listed have these kinds of detergents in their gas:

https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

Personally I always used Chevron when I lived back west but typically go with Shell here. Sunoco is good too but they just decided to make the call to not recertify. Their gas still has the same detergents.

takeitsleazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2008 JL
What would you consider quality oil? Thank you for the link, by the way. Very useful

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
What would you consider quality oil? Thank you for the link, by the way. Very useful
I'll let LostWoods offer his own opinion, but from someone who has changed his own oil for 20 years, I swear by Mobil 1 Synthetic. I just sold my 2006 Acura MDX that had 210K miles and was still going strong. I change my Mobil 1 about every 5,500 miles.

Sponsored

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
I have 105k on my ā€˜12 JK 3.6. That isnā€™t a lot but it runs much smoother than my JT with 5k on it. I recently took a long trip with a buddy and he was always commenting that when we stopped, he could not tell it was running except by looking at the tach. Makes me think this thing will last a good long time.

I follow the maintenance schedule and use Royal Purple syntheti in the engine and axles. I like to support those guys because they are kinda local to me but I figure any good synthetic will do fine.

like others, I use ā€˜good gasā€™ as much as possible. I Dodge getting fuel at the old sites with old tanks and rock bottom gas. Gas is like whiskey, the cheap stuff will get you there but there is a difference. I also do an occasional dose of sea foam or Luca.

takeitsleazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2008 JL
I use royal purple, but only because it was the only full synthetic available on base in England when I got my jk. I liked it and stuck with it since.

02sahara

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Willys Gladiator
Occupation
Construction
Iā€™ve got a 2011 Grand Cherokee with the 3.6. I bought it at 123k a hear and a half ago and Iā€™m up to 158k now. I think the water pump and thermostat have been replaced by the original owners. Iā€™ve changed the oil when the light comes on with good quality oil and have no problems. Iā€™m hoping I can replace it with the sarge JT when it comes out this year.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
What oil did they use: 5w-30, 5w-20, or 0w-20?

Edit: at 600K miles, probably not in the time frame to use 0w-20.
Sponsored