First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Section Leader
Hi all, I got the JScan, V Gate, and cables. I can plug in the V Gate directly in the OBD port and it powers up, reads, connects to the app. But, when I pull the 2 security cables down and plug into the V Gate, I get nothing. The V Gate won’t power on.
Have any of you had this issue and can tell me what I’m doing wrong?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all, I got the JScan, V Gate, and cables. I can plug in the V Gate directly in the OBD port and it powers up, reads, connects to the app. But, when I pull the 2 security cables down and plug into the V Gate, I get nothing. The V Gate won’t power on.
Have any of you had this issue and can tell me what I’m doing wrong?
Did you plug the vgate into the security cable and NOT the OBD port? You should connect the device to the cable, not the port.

I also noticed that when I used the cable and jscan it took 3 or 4 minutes before I actually had access to change anything. It was weird. I could connect, see things, but some parts of jscan were not "apparent" for a little while.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JLUR, 2023 JTuRD
@Dennfann Which cable do you have? I have seen, I believe over on the JL Forum, that someone got a cable without the power wire in it. I'll see if i can find the Post on it.

Gregj

ETA: Here is a link to the pin-out for the OBD2 port, see it your cable has connectors in position 4,5 and 16. Those are ground, ground and power respectively. IIRC someone had a cable that was missing the connector in #16
.OBD2 pin-out

Last edited:

Dennfann

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Section Leader
Did you plug the vgate into the security cable and NOT the OBD port? You should connect the device to the cable, not the port.

I also noticed that when I used the cable and jscan it took 3 or 4 minutes before I actually had access to change anything. It was weird. I could connect, see things, but some parts of jscan were not "apparent" for a little while.
Yes I did. When plugged into the OBD port, it immediately lights up and responds. When I plug it into the cable adapter, it does nothing.

Dennfann

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Section Leader
@Dennfann Which cable do you have? I have seen, I believe over on the JL Forum, that someone got a cable without the power wire in it. I'll see if i can find the Post on it.

Gregj

ETA: Here is a link to the pin-out for the OBD2 port, see it your cable has connectors in position 4,5 and 16. Those are ground, ground and power respectively. IIRC someone had a cable that was missing the connector in #16
.OBD2 pin-out
Thanks! I’ll check it when I get home and verify.

Sponsored

Dennfann

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Section Leader

Gregj

.OBD2 pin-out
Mine does not have Pin 5 or a couple of others for that matter. Do you have a recommendation on what cable set I should order?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JLUR, 2023 JTuRD
Here is a picture of the business end of my cable, I looked for the one I bought from Amazon and it is not showing up.
Jeep Gladiator Please teach me about jscan 1606293759137

Gregj

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mine does not have Pin 5 or a couple of others for that matter. Do you have a recommendation on what cable set I should order?
Mine does not have pin 5 but works fine in that it powers the bluetooth adapter. The adapter should pull ground from 4, 5 seems to be redundent.
Mine has:
1, 3, 4, 6
9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16

Exactly the same pin connections as the one Jeeperjamie linked to. My cable came from a different seller but appears to be the same one. The picture of the connector is the same- having the same hole positions.

Edit - this is the one I bought and seems to be the same as what some other members have - at least in pins and function.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S91VZXT?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details

I bought it after a member or 3 linked to this on Amazon. Figured - it worked for them, it will work for me. Or at least that's the theory.

Last edited:

Sponsored

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
Mine would not work at first either. I had to restart my iphone and also use the JSCAN app itself to pair to the adapter.

I thought pulling those plugs under the dash was one of the easiest things ever. I have a SPORT S, so it may just be the rubicon guys, but I dont see how anyone could say the SPORTS are a pain to get to. I had mine pulled in less than half a minute.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Mine would not work at first either. I had to restart my iphone and also use the JSCAN app itself to pair to the adapter.

I thought pulling those plugs under the dash was one of the easiest things ever. I have a SPORT S, so it may just be the rubicon guys, but I dont see how anyone could say the SPORTS are a pain to get to. I had mine pulled in less than half a minute.
Same here, super easy to get to and pull. Sport Max tow here, not sure why people are having issues.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
LOL...next time you guys with really long fingers that can grip and squeeze that tab way up there and pull hard can get mine loose. There's nothing to grip as they are sort of recessed.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
I was able to lean in, put a light in the floor facing up, push in on the squeeze tabs and wiggle and pull on the harness wires at the same time. They came right out first try. Easy Pasey.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I was able to lean in, put a light in the floor facing up, push in on the squeeze tabs and wiggle and pull on the harness wires at the same time. They came right out first try. Easy Pasey.
Can't do that on mine. When your hand is on the connector and pressing tab access to the wires is blocked. I have to hook the wires with something as they loop to the side and not down. A hand on the connector blocks access. These are recessed. Easy on YOUR truck, not mine...and the plastic sticks. I'm going to wax them next time I have them down. Candle wax should help
Sponsored