Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
@Jeeperjamie did you ever get your rear LED light issues figured out?
As a matter of fact I didn't have to worry about it. I went in for a oil change Saturday and my dealership saw the Rear turn signal light out message showing and went ahead and flashed my computer for free. I was going to see if I could get it done with the JScan but don't have to worry about it now. Can't beat that. Normally $99 to have it done.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
well darn...doesnt really help us that may do LED rear bulbs in the future. hah

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
well darn...doesnt really help us that may do LED rear bulbs in the future. hah
Yeah sorry man, I was going to try to figure it out with the Jscan and I didn't mention anything to them about doing it but they said they had to do a powertrain PCM update under warranty and since they had everything hookup they went ahead and done the Led flash as well to turn off the warning light. I would be mad if they charged me. That's why I do business with them, they haven't ever done me wrong and little things like this make a huge difference to a customer.

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 2500 2019 Jeep Cherokee
JSCAN can disable Weather Alerts... and when it disables that, Travel Link is totally disabled.

Disable Weather Alerts:
ADAPTATION -> Radio user settings -> SDAR Travel Link Feature Present On/Off-> Target Value = Deactivated

Yes, I have recently seen that, whereas I’ve never seen it before. But I thought we discussed this the other day here...or was it one of the other threads...
The trade off isn’t worth it to me, though, to lose the entire app versus x-ing out a weather alert.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
@Jeeperjamie

Are you still running with Turn Signals for DRL's ? Any shortcomings you have noticed.... ?

I'm curious what all you changed setting wise with JSCAN. I've used JSCAN on other guys vehicles for tire size changes but never fooled with it on my vehicle.

Thanks for your input on this...

I use a ZAutomotive bypass module, SWG Extension Cable and an OBDLink MX+ , with JSCAN.
I changed the DRL setting to Canada and set the DRL to Turn signals and it took. Been pleased with it. Exactly what I was looking for, better visibility in the rain for other drivers.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
@Jeeperjamie

Curious, did you really need to change DRL setting to Canada?

I thought this alone did the deed, and nothing else needed change. (i.e. Canada)
ADAPTATION ---> DRL - Day time running lights - settings --> DRL Lamp Location --> Turn Signal DRL

Thanks for your input on this, and verifying this....
I couldn't get it to take until I did that. It could of been I needed to try a few times because I heard sometimes it takes a few times to take but once it took I didn't go back and change the settings I had it at. I tried 3 times without the Canada DRL setting and the first time I put it on the Canada setting it took.

Tufelhundin

First Name
Windsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S “sold”, 2022 JTR
Occupation
Gov
I couldn't get it to take until I did that. It could of been I needed to try a few times because I heard sometimes it takes a few times to take but once it took I didn't go back and change the settings I had it at. I tried 3 times without the Canada DRL setting and the first time I put it on the Canada setting it took.

Same here. You made a post a long time ago saying to try the Canada setting and it worked for me.

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Jeeperjamie
@Tufelhundin

Well, was fooling with it today and set up Turn Signals for DRL's and YES, did have to also change to Canada DRL to get it to take..

I struck out on the one I really wanted, which is Disable Weather Alerts. I tried over and over and it just did not want to take..

For the Disable I was trying...
Disable Weather Alerts:
ADAPTATION -> Radio user settings -> SDAR Travel Link Feature Present On/Off-> Target Value = Deactivated

ANYONE, have any ideas / direction on this.. Is there something else that I have to change?

I did get fog lights with high beam.....
For the travel link, usually settings changes that have to do with radio apps/settings take time and multiple drive cycles for the radio to pull the BCM config. Just deactivate it, and give it a while for the app to disappear.
For the DRL locations, it seems there are multiple variants of BCM firmwares used on 2018-2021 JL/JTs. Some of them aren’t capable of using the turn signal circuits or fog lamp circuits as optional DRLs. I believe the downside of using the Canada setting is, you lose the setting in the radio to be able to toggle on/of the DRLs, and they come on whenever the vehicle is running, as opposed to in gear.

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Jimmy07

I thought you might say that about multiple drive cycles... with that in mind I did leave Disable Weather Alerts --> Deactivated. We'll see what happens... 8-)

Thanks, Jim for your input on this. Any other settings you use that might be of interest to me and that work? Curious, what all you have tweaked with JSCAN.
I actually rarely put Jscan to use because my primary go-to is AlfaOBD. As far as “tweaks”, I get a little more involved- I’ve added blind spot detection, passive entry, integrated trail camera system to my co-worker’s JT, and adaptive cruise/FCW it next on the list. On my 2017 Ram, I’ve basically taken a base model tradesman, and added pretty much every factory option, including options from the 2019+ Rams that didn’t even exist on 2017s. Pretty much, you name a factory option on an FCA vehicle, and I’ve probably added it, or had a hand in figuring out how to add it.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
For the travel link, usually settings changes that have to do with radio apps/settings take time and multiple drive cycles for the radio to pull the BCM config. Just deactivate it, and give it a while for the app to disappear.
For the DRL locations, it seems there are multiple variants of BCM firmwares used on 2018-2021 JL/JTs. Some of them aren’t capable of using the turn signal circuits or fog lamp circuits as optional DRLs. I believe the downside of using the Canada setting is, you lose the setting in the radio to be able to toggle on/of the DRLs, and they come on whenever the vehicle is running, as opposed to in gear.
For me the two changed I made that involved the radio took about 24 hours. The number of cycles didn't seem to matter as in one day I had the thing on and off, started and stopped at least a dozen times - likely around 18 - as I was seeing if I could force it by cycling things.
But sitting in the garage unused over night - they appeared.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I now have a OBDLink MX+ scanner, and all other hardware necessary to use Jscan or alfaOBD. I'm new at this, which one do I want? I have been using Tazer JL.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Like my disable Weather Alerts, your RADIO changes had to wait for UConnect to do a reboot.

I was going to pull fuse F97 in the PDC, today.. as it forces UConnect reboot...but figured......... ahhhhh, I will wait and let UConnect reboot on it's own this time. HOPEFULLY, when UConnect does it thing, I'll see Travel Link / Weather Alerts disable..

Knowing that fuse F97 causes immediate reboot is good to know. While the vehicle is running, just pull F97, waits 10 seconds or so and then plug fuse F97 back in. UConnect is rebooted.
I thought there was also a "reset" choice in the radio - that's what the dealer did with mine when I had BT connection issues with my phone (still do, but it's text-only issues) - it rebooted, and put everything back factory.

In the case of the passive entry and the headlights - auto high beam, both times it took roughly 24 hours. Didn't matter how much I drove it, how often I started and shut down. So apparently it cycles every 24 hours? At least that's how it appeared. Things worked so I wasn't frantic - all it was was the check box in the settings to enable or disable. Telling it that it had passive entry and auto high beam in the software was enough. Passive locks worked even though the choice didn't yet show in the settings screen. The system knew it was there and "enabled".

We don't get weather alerts often, but when we do - you really wanna pay attention. Derecho was a good example. No storm or even rain was forecast - then suddenly the screen was showing massive destructive storm. We watched as I tried to outrun it. It was coming east at 80 and I was driving south, then SE at 80+ so it did hit us. My wife kept watching that screen and yelling FASTER FASTER!

AlfaOBD can do more than jscan can. jscan can't access some areas - it will even tell you if you try.
It also must have the OBDLink device to reach certain other settings -again, I had a pop-up in jscan that told me the OBDLink device was required for access to those areas. Their web site talks about that a bit, too.
AlfaOBD will give you details the likes of which the dealer said to me "what did you use for that report?" they said that only their official equipment had ever given the sort of detail and screens that AlfaOBD was giving me. It told them things they'd never seen a customer walk in with before. So if you want extreme detail for diagnostics, AlfaOBD is the thing. I had pretty much all the info they needed to dig into her Grand Cherokee for a fix right in that report.

Otherwise, jscan is fine but there are at least 3 things I found it said it wasn't able to access plus it's per VIN for license. In app purchase was about 22 bucks for the VIN for my truck. I have multiple vehicles and decided instead of paying another 22 for my wife's Jeep, I'd add to that and get AlfaOBD. In a way I wish had done that from day 1.
AlfaOBD - unlimited use, unlimited devices (I have it on my phone, my LG tablet and my Google Nexus) and it covers both our 20 and 21 Jeeps for 50 bucks
jscan - 22 bucks for a single VIN - you pay again for additional VINs.
That makes AlfaOBD only 6 bucks or so more for a lot more power.

I won't diss jscan at all as it's good, it does the job, it's cheap (for a single vehicle, especially!) - but if you have more than one Jeep or a Ram truck, too - AlfaOBD is acost-effective solution.
For basic settings and digging around - jscan is fine.
I decided I wanted more.
Frankly, once I found a couple of key menu choices, I found AlfaOBD not bad.
jscan had me fishing and hunting just about as much, I didn't see a lot of difference in them as far as "which is more intuitive". Neither has any classic menus like key-chord shortcuts, etc..
I found them about the same difficulty-wise. AlfaOBD does have documentation but you have to dig online and download the help PDF - it gives a lot more info.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I actually rarely put Jscan to use because my primary go-to is AlfaOBD. As far as “tweaks”, I get a little more involved- I’ve added blind spot detection, passive entry, integrated trail camera system to my co-worker’s JT, and adaptive cruise/FCW it next on the list. On my 2017 Ram, I’ve basically taken a base model tradesman, and added pretty much every factory option, including options from the 2019+ Rams that didn’t even exist on 2017s. Pretty much, you name a factory option on an FCA vehicle, and I’ve probably added it, or had a hand in figuring out how to add it.
I don't have that option on my radio, I got the basic radio, basic sport so it doesn't apply to me.

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't have that option on my radio, I got the basic radio, basic sport so it doesn't apply to me.
Well, not anymore you don’t, since the DRL configuration is now Canada. Even the base Uconnect 3 radio has the option- it would be in settings > lights > daytime running lights > on/off
Sponsored