Question about adding outlet to bed

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Think I would have just jumped the outlet at the rear console backseat area and ran it to the bed. It's a shared 400 watt inverter anyway right?
Sponsored

Cowboy43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
So I went to the dealer and they said because the sales code isn't listed as an option on my Vin list they can't activate it. The place that sold me the parts says that it has to be built into the computer then flashed but he has to figure out what needs to be done. Starting to sound like I may have wasted my time and money. I'll update when I hear back.

Cowboy43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Someone did it, it’s posted here someplace.
I bought the parts and installed them, have lights on the dash switch, but until they can figure out how to flash it the computer doesn't recognize it. I posted pics in this feed of the install. All Mopar parts, makes no sense to me.

Sponsored

Cowboy43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've hit a brick wall, Chrysler said they can't add it, Jeep techs can't add it. Just letting everyone know so no one else wastes their money.

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2014 Durango, 2020 Ibis Ripley
Vehicle Showcase
I've hit a brick wall, Chrysler said they can't add it, Jeep techs can't add it. Just letting everyone know so no one else wastes their money.
Bummer! Sorry to hear that. But thanks for letting the rest of us know!

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I know many wanted the factory set-up, but honestly it's a shared 400w inverted and you could jump the existing plug to another in the bed. However, I don't even see the point in that, I would put a higher wattage plug out there. 400w doesn't run much. Plus all this is running off your starter battery, not good.

MMMII

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR - 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Redfin - Real Estate Consultant
That sucks. I guess the plus side is the receptacle in the bed looks better than the plastic block off plate.

Thanks for making the attempt!

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Can you use what you have to activate a bigger better inverter and it only appears to be factory?

JTpoor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Tyrant
I may get roasted for this and I appreciate the effort and tenacity to do something that Jeep dealers or FCA says can’t be done, but isn’t it so much easier just to spend $150-200 on a Sportsman inverter/ generator or $400 for a really good Wen 2k watt inverter/generator? You can have it in your Gladiator when you want it or pop it out for camping or tailgating when you want it for those applications.

Cowboy43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I may get roasted for this and I appreciate the effort and tenacity to do something that Jeep dealers or FCA says can’t be done, but isn’t it so much easier just to spend $150-200 on a Sportsman inverter/ generator or $400 for a really good Wen 2k watt inverter/generator? You can have it in your Gladiator when you want it or pop it out for camping or tailgating when you want it for those applications.

I have two generators, just wanted the outlet because the spot was there, easy to use for quick things. Just baffles me that the wiring was there yet they say it can't be added. Plus I'm stubborn.

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Can you use what you have to activate a bigger better inverter and it only appears to be factory?
You can. Wouldn't be hard to wire in a larger inverter and use a factory plug so it all looks OEM. I happen to think AC outlets are a bad idea off starter batteries. I just know someone is going to run their starter battery down using that outlet. Starter batteries are not meant to be run down beyond a certain point or it affects the longevity of them. A second AGM/deep cell/lithium would be a better option. Now we're talking money though, might be best just to go with a solar generator/inverter as mentioned.
Sponsored