First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2010 BMW M5, 2023 Tesla M3
Occupation
Software Engineer
This would be the first I've ever heard of a component not be able to retrofit after you buy the vehicle due to it *has* to be installed at the factory only. I've retrofitted OEM navigations, sirius xm modules, heated seats etc on vehicles that didn't come with it from the factory. I myself was hoping to retrofit the inverter on my jeep gladiator as mine didn't come with one.
Sponsored

Cowboy43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
This would be the first I've ever heard of a component not be able to retrofit after you buy the vehicle due to it *has* to be installed at the factory only. I've retrofitted OEM navigations, sirius xm modules, heated seats etc on vehicles that didn't come with it from the factory. I myself was hoping to retrofit the inverter on my jeep gladiator as mine didn't come with one.
It is under the steering column so I'm sure that spot is there to put it.

TheNewWampsCat

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500
I found my gladiator on the local lot. It was loaded the way I wanted with the exception of three options.... one was bed liner, had it done locally. Two was auxiliary switches, dealer did that. Cargo management package was the third. Dealer said they could get it. Well they did the switches but the wiring isn’t the same colors that’s in the book at all so I’m not sure which is the 15amps and which is the 40 amps. As far as cargo management package, they installed the rails and said there ya go! After I brought up the under seat box and the outlet they said they’ll have to check that out. Now I added the two packages at a cost like from the build sheet.... what ended up happening is they could get the outlet but not the wiring and no box! So I got most of my extra money back! The dang dealer couldn’t get the wiring harness and refused to just wire the outlet because of warranty issues!

Cowboy43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I found my gladiator on the local lot. It was loaded the way I wanted with the exception of three options.... one was bed liner, had it done locally. Two was auxiliary switches, dealer did that. Cargo management package was the third. Dealer said they could get it. Well they did the switches but the wiring isn’t the same colors that’s in the book at all so I’m not sure which is the 15amps and which is the 40 amps. As far as cargo management package, they installed the rails and said there ya go! After I brought up the under seat box and the outlet they said they’ll have to check that out. Now I added the two packages at a cost like from the build sheet.... what ended up happening is they could get the outlet but not the wiring and no box! So I got most of my extra money back! The dang dealer couldn’t get the wiring harness and refused to just wire the outlet because of warranty issues!
See that's why I think there has to be a way to add it, but no one knows them well enough to do it, or too lazy to dig into it.

TheNewWampsCat

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500
See that's why I think there has to be a way to add it, but no one knows them well enough to do it, or too lazy to dig into it.
It can be done! My thing is I don’t feel I need it bad enough to tie one in the bed on a 400w inverter! If I decide to put one in I’d make it stand alone with a bigger inverter and another battery. Wouldn’t be all that hard.

Sponsored

Cowboy43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It can be done! My thing is I don’t feel I need it bad enough to tie one in the bed on a 400w inverter! If I decide to put one in I’d make it stand alone with a bigger inverter and another battery. Wouldn’t be all that hard.
I see that side too, but I'm stubborn and don't like when they say it can't be done when logically it can and they waste my time and any like they just don't want to research it. I'm no electrical engineer, or vehicle engineer, but why would you leave a hole in the bed and sell the package without making it available to add after the fact. One that's bad planning and two that's added profit because it costs more to install after than at the factory. Their accountant would have a fit.

Last edited:

TheNewWampsCat

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500
I see that side too, but I'm stubborn and don't like when they say it can't be done when logically it can and they waste my time and any like they just don't want to research it. I'm no electrical engineer, or vehicle engineer, but why would you leave a hole in the bed and sell the package without making it available to add after the fact. One that's can planning and two that's added profit because it costs more to install after than at the factory. Their accountant would have a fit.
When they told me I had a fit! But that was due to the fact I paid for the whole package! I’m not an electrical engineer or a mechanic, but know how to wrench and can wire anything. So I could put one in and it amazes me that the dealer couldn’t!

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I see that side too, but I'm stubborn and don't like when they say it can't be done when logically it can and they waste my time and any like they just don't want to research it. I'm no electrical engineer, or vehicle engineer, but why would you leave a hole in the bed and sell the package without making it available to add after the fact. One that's can planning and two that's added profit because it costs more to install after than at the factory. Their accountant would have a fit.
Adding items at the dealership is primarily profit for the dealer, not for FCA. Unless there is an outlined process to follow from FCA, the dealer won't do the install because they are then responsible for the warranty on that install and not FCA.

Every build is mapped out at the factory, based on the options ordered, and only the necessary components are installed. If they installed more than necessary, that would cost more, and the accountants would be all over that.

SF_E60

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2010 BMW M5, 2023 Tesla M3
Occupation
Software Engineer
Someone stubborn like some of us ;) will maybe jump in and do the retrofit.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Someone stubborn like some of us ;) will maybe jump in and do the retrofit.
Adding an outlet to the bed should not be really difficult. Buy the Mopar part, to get a clean fit in the bed, and add an inverter sized to your needs. You should be able to find the mating plug for the outlet harness on Ebay, and just run some 12 gauge wire from it to the inverter.

Mine came from the factory with the outlet, but the use is limited, since it's only a 400 watt inverter. You lose the on/off switch on the dash, but you can put in a larger inverter. The inverter would need a direct connection, like a winch, but you could use an Aux switch to turn it off and on.

Sponsored

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2014 Durango, 2020 Ibis Ripley
Vehicle Showcase
Adding an outlet to the bed should not be really difficult. Buy the Mopar part, to get a clean fit in the bed, and add an inverter sized to your needs. You should be able to find the mating plug for the outlet harness on Ebay, and just run some 12 gauge wire from it to the inverter.

Mine came from the factory with the outlet, but the use is limited, since it's only a 400 watt inverter. You lose the on/off switch on the dash, but you can put in a larger inverter. The inverter would need a direct connection, like a winch, but you could use an Aux switch to turn it off and on.
It seems like you'd want the on/off switch at the outlet itself rather than in the cab since you have to manually plug items in back there anyway.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
If i were doing this as a driveway install id get the following:

1. Oem bed outlet
2. Aftermarket, ~1000w
3. Weather tight switch, blue sea or comparable
4. Suitable sized relay, timed if desired

Fit the outlet and inverter
Mount switch in convenient location
Mount relay

Wire inverter to relay load
Wire switch to relay latch
Tie back direct to battery

Switch on = 1000w ac when ever

The factory setup is cute but under sized, as I have said before its the allegory of the cave; a shadow of a solution.

A timed relay would be good so you don't over draw a battery but this could also be solved with a smart battery switch and dual batteries so the accessory battery and starting battery are divorced.

For my own needs 2000 to 2500 would be best to reliably run a chop saw, circular saw, sawzall, sub-pump etc BUT.. this all starts to boarder on a small honda genset.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It seems like you'd want the on/off switch at the outlet itself rather than in the cab since you have to manually plug items in back there anyway.
But then you have to come up with a weatherproof on/off switch and figure out how to add it, and then run additional wiring for it. The factory inverter has an on/off switch in the cab for the outlet in the bed. The outlet in the cab is on all the time.

Cowboy43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok with a lot of help from Benny with all Mopar parts I ordered the stuff. Since I already have the inverter I figured that it had to be possible. The harness for the dash switch was there and the wires to the rear harness on the passenger side were there. So I swapped out the dash panel, the wiring harness and installed the plug. The switch comes on when pushed, so I'm hoping the outlet will work once I take it to the dealer to have them flash it. Here's the parts and a few pics.
Screenshot_20200321-090702.png

IMG_20200321_154440301.jpg

View attachment 67828

IMG_20200321_154601840.jpg

IMG_20200321_160855304.jpg

IMG_20200321_163841277.jpg

View attachment 67832

IMG_20200321_174853527.jpg

IMG_20200321_174922235.jpg

IMG_20200321_174929997.jpg

IMG_20200321_174936201.jpg
Sponsored