Sponsored

Question about adding outlet to bed

Deleted member 28696

Is the specific dash switch required to properly integrate, or could you run it off one of the Mopar Auxiliary switches in the center panel area? Given the flashing required (not sure what it actually enables), I'm wondering how much the switch itself plays a role in that.
Behind the bezel there is a harness that directly plugs into the Mopar Switch. It's probably possible to wire it to the accessory bank but IMO why complicate things? it saves another spot in the accessory bank for more lights etc. later and this is already set up for it so you won't have problems installing it routing / rewiring wires, with the bezel switch it's plug and play. The flashing with the Tazer is required to program and activate the 115v plug in the bed if you don't it's not functional. It's my experience that the dealer won't activate it so the Tazer JL mini was required to get it working after install. The Tazer JL Mini does more than just activate the plug so if you purchase one it's probably not a waste especially if you go to larger tires or regear. You can even put on a light show, disengage the start stop function and more.
Sponsored

OffRoadHippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Gobi
Occupation
Wanderlust

Not sure if this link has been shared but the video does a good job of providing a step by step for the most part. On my to do list.

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Behind the bezel there is a harness that directly plugs into the Mopar Switch. It's probably possible to wire it to the accessory bank but IMO why complicate things? it saves another spot in the accessory bank for more lights etc. later and this is already set up for it so you won't have problems installing it routing / rewiring wires, with the bezel switch it's plug and play. The flashing with the Tazer is required to program and activate the 115v plug in the bed if you don't it's not functional. It's my experience that the dealer won't activate it so the Tazer JL mini was required to get it working after install. The Tazer JL Mini does more than just activate the plug so if you purchase one it's probably not a waste especially if you go to larger tires or regear. You can even put on a light show, disengage the start stop function and more.
Yea, I decided I'll go this route. Didn’t realize the only wire harness I need to swap is under the socket itself 🤦🏻‍♂️

Deleted member 28696

Yea, I decided I'll go this route. Didn’t realize the only wire harness I need to swap is under the socket itself 🤦🏻‍♂️
Cowboy43 posted a parts list I'd go by his list, he did the hard work for us, that's what I did. We both had the existing inverter and 115v plug in the back seat which made this much easier. If you don't have the same configuration then you might have to go down a different route of adding an inverter etc.

Deleted member 28696

You also have to swap the wiring harness at the back of the vehicle which has a Y and routes up to your plug, it's a project but very do-able.

Sponsored

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
You also have to swap the wiring harness at the back of the vehicle which has a Y and routes up to your plug, it's a project but very do-able.
I'm hoping we're talking about the same harness. It looked to be a 12-14" length of wire at the back. The wire for the switch itself is already there, from what I understood.

Deleted member 28696

I'm hoping we're talking about the same harness. It looked to be a 12-14" length of wire at the back. The wire for the switch itself is already there, from what I understood.
I think it's a bit longer than that but you are correct, use that parts list I mentioned.

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon, '09 C4500 Kodiak
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo

Sponsored

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 80th Anniversary Bright White
Occupation
Highway Engineer
Fuse F37 in the power distribution box. 30 amp per manual page 445.

I believe it is controlled by the ignition, not straight to battery. But there are ways around that.

Last edited:
Reactions: mog

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Highway Engineer
$10 @ Home Depot + 2 SAE connectors I already had = 2 12v sources from the 7 pin trailer connector. This connection is always hot, not switched by the ignition as I originally thought.

Jeep Gladiator Question about adding outlet to bed 20210710_100910

Reactions: mog

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Highway Engineer

Gobi1Kenobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Overland Gobiiiiiiii
Update: So I installed all necessary parts both inside and out from @Cowboy43 list. Button works and illuminates, but there's no power to the bedside outlet (even after swapping the harness out). I have been using Superchips' Tazer Mini in the past for my tires and there's an option in there to enable Aux Switches, but it doesn't work for the outlet. I called Superchips and the guy said that I'll need their TrailDash3 kit to control the bedside outlet. I had to explain several times what I wanted to do, and that I already have a hard-wired button that illuminates but just isn't sending power to the outlet. I didn't want a 3rd screen in my vehicle.

Anyone else use the Superchips Flashcal for Jeep (F5) and get it to work? So far I've only seen Z Automotive's flash work for people.
Sponsored

Last edited: