Real world towing

TheStig

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
I've been looking through the site for a few weeks now. I'm currently driving a Dodge Durango RT and going to be switching to a Gladiator. My question is, I currently tow a 4 seat RZR 5 - 10 times a year. Weight of the machine and trailer is around 3000 - 3500 lbs. My Durango pulls it find but my wife's Honda Pilot struggled. I know the max tow for most trim levels is over 6000 lbs so I'm sure it will tow it but will the 3.6 pull the load easily? The problem with my wife's pilot is it will pull it too but in like 3rd gear at 4000 rpms gets old on a 5 hour drive. I live in Utah so there are a lot of hills and mountains. I'm trying to decide on getting the diesel or just the gasser. Anyone who has actually towed something in that weight range that can say how it went?
Sponsored

CJtoJTR

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I've been looking through the site for a few weeks now. I'm currently driving a Dodge Durango RT and going to be switching to a Gladiator. My question is, I currently tow a 4 seat RZR 5 - 10 times a year. Weight of the machine and trailer is around 3000 - 3500 lbs. My Durango pulls it find but my wife's Honda Pilot struggled. I know the max tow for most trim levels is over 6000 lbs so I'm sure it will tow it but will the 3.6 pull the load easily? The problem with my wife's pilot is it will pull it too but in like 3rd gear at 4000 rpms gets old on a 5 hour drive. I live in Utah so there are a lot of hills and mountains. I'm trying to decide on getting the diesel or just the gasser. Anyone who has actually towed something in that weight range that can say how it went?
I think you’re going to be fine with the gasser. I towed my wifes JLUR on a dolly cross country and it was fine. You can absolutely tell there’s a heavy load back there but I was able to cruise around 65-70 most of the way. There are a few 6% grade’s where I had to slow down to 55-60. But over all the gladiator pulled way better than I expected. I was right at 7000 lbs in total trailer weight.

Jeep Gladiator Real world towing CE0D6292-4524-4588-B8BC-05D4FA6556C0

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I have a couple boats, both around 3500lbs total with trailer, JT does pretty well, seems to have enough power and good stability towing. I have surge brakes on both trailers, the brakes on the JT seem pretty strong while towing. I used to tow the boats with a Tundra with a 5.7 and a JKU, JT is somewhere in the middle.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I tow a 6300lb travel trailer. It revs high when getting up to speed and when it’s going up a steep grade. Traveling along in general it’s fine. If the tow capacity on the diesel is enough, I would consider it over the v6. But the v6 will do the job pretty well.

firehog

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow; 2020 Chevy Silverado Duramax 3500
I have the sport max tow. Even with a 3” lift and 35’s I tow my 24ft pontoon boat with ease (about 4,000lbs). I was surprised. I personally wouldn’t consider a diesel if I was not towing on a regular basis.

Sponsored

CJtoJTR

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I have the sport max tow. Even with a 3” lift and 35’s I tow my 24ft pontoon boat with ease (about 4,000lbs). I was surprised. I personally wouldn’t consider a diesel if I was not towing on a regular basis.
I was getting ready to add a 2 or 3 inch lift and 35’s also. How much over all would you say that set up affected your towing capacity?

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I was getting ready to add a 2 or 3 inch lift and 35’s also. How much over all would you say that set up affected your towing capacity?
35s had minimal impact for me on 4.10s. Definitely feel it getting going but once out of first there's no difference.

firehog

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow; 2020 Chevy Silverado Duramax 3500
35s had minimal impact for me on 4.10s. Definitely feel it getting going but once out of first there's no difference.
Same here.....Im sure if I regeared to 4.88 it would not be noticeable

OP
OP

TheStig

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Thanks for the info. My trailer is no more than 3500 lbs so i think either would pull it. I guess it just comes down to what is available.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
You will be fine. CjtoJTR towed way more than I do (TJ and trailer 5500#) and I was very impressed with how it handled. It's all about the trailer and setup though rather than just weight. You won't win any races up hills but mine only spent time at 4000rpm accelerating up hills or passing.
Sponsored