Sponsored

2004blackwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 wrx, 2005 xterra, 2014 durango, formerly 1998 wrangler
Just watched TFL on youtube about the magneto wrangler concept. The jeep they say has the same transmission as the 6 speed. The only difference is it has a beefed up clutch. Sounds to me like Jeep may have its solution already in house.
Sponsored

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
Just watched TFL on youtube about the magneto wrangler concept. The jeep they say has the same transmission as the 6 speed. The only difference is it has a beefed up clutch. Sounds to me like Jeep may have its solution already in house.
Smh, but we have the software🤣

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone with a manual have an issue with the clutch feeling gritty? Like its rubbing against sand paper when depressing it? But it only feels like that when the engine is running, feels normal when the engine is off. I have 3k on the odometer, just started feeling funny the other day. Have an appointment for the issue next week. What part of the clutch or transmission would cause that feeling? Release bearing?

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Anyone with a manual have an issue with the clutch feeling gritty? Like its rubbing against sand paper when depressing it? But it only feels like that when the engine is running, feels normal when the engine is off. I have 3k on the odometer, just started feeling funny the other day. Have an appointment for the issue next week. What part of the clutch or transmission would cause that feeling? Release bearing?
14,000 miles and it's always felt like that to me. It's slight but its there. Went in for the first recall check and everything checked out. Haven't had any issues driving.

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14,000 miles and it's always felt like that to me. It's slight but its there. Went in for the first recall check and everything checked out. Haven't had any issues driving.
So your clutch never felt butter smooth? Mine felt the same with the engine off or on till the other day and I can still feel the grittiness while shifting but it doesnt effect how it shifts or make any noises. Mine is 2021 willys, build date July 2020.

Sponsored

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also did you get the software update? Notice any changes? I just talked to service tech and hes saying that feeling isnt normal? Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait and see until next week. From what I've been researching in past forums it seems like it could be the release bearing. Regardless, the technician said everything would be covered because even though its a wear and tear item, its covered for the 1st year or 12k miles. I'm actually hoping they have to replace something and drop the transmission because I would ask them to install a centerforce clutch for an additional cost.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
So your clutch never felt butter smooth? Mine felt the same with the engine off or on till the other day and I can still feel the grittiness while shifting but it doesnt effect how it shifts or make any noises. Mine is 2021 willys, build date July 2020.
Correct. Has always shifted well, no noises, but has always had a slightly gritty feel. 2020 JT Sport build 11/19

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Also did you get the software update? Notice any changes? I just talked to service tech and hes saying that feeling isnt normal? Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait and see until next week. From what I've been researching in past forums it seems like it could be the release bearing. Regardless, the technician said everything would be covered because even though its a wear and tear item, its covered for the 1st year or 12k miles. I'm actually hoping they have to replace something and drop the transmission because I would ask them to install a centerforce clutch for an additional cost.
Have not had the software update yet

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have not had the software update yet
I'm pretty sure that gritty feeling is not normal. I will let you know what my dealer says next week. It sucks I have to drive 50 miles because that's where I purchased the vehicle from. I called other dealers near me and they always ask did you purchase the vehicle from us. Seems like I'll get better service from where it was purchased from. Maybe my anxiety is kicking in, lol.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
I'm pretty sure that gritty feeling is not normal. I will let you know what my dealer says next week. It sucks I have to drive 50 miles because that's where I purchased the vehicle from. I called other dealers near me and they always ask did you purchase the vehicle from us. Seems like I'll get better service from where it was purchased from. Maybe my anxiety is kicking in, lol.
When it goes in for the update I'll have it checked out. For now, it drives like it's supposed to

Sponsored

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When it goes in for the update I'll have it checked out. For now, it drives like it's supposed to
Try the clutch on a new jeep while you're there, you wont feel a difference in how the clutch pedal feels with the engine on or off.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
I called other dealers near me and they always ask did you purchase the vehicle from us. Seems like I'll get better service from where it was purchased from. Maybe my anxiety is kicking in, lol.
That has not been my experience, and it shouldn't be. If you buy a car and then move away, you have no alternative. I ordered mine from a distant dealer because 1) the local dealer couldn't even show me a truck in the color I was interested in at the time (Gator) and 2) the local dealership seemed only interested in selling off the lot, and 3) the distant dealership I ordered my Jeep from offered a much better price without having to haggle at all.

That dealership is > 100 miles away, so it's impractical to take it there routinely. I've since had an oil change, the first clutch recall AND the steering box replaced at the local dealership and the service was excellent. They treated me great!

Last edited:

Sam007

First Name
Lauren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator sport
Occupation
Building engineer
And now, the rest of the story.........
>> when clutch assembly temperatures rise to a level that may damage the inner pressure plate.<<

Reduced WHEN/IF temps reach the danger zone, otherwise, NOT.
I am extremely disappointed in this proposed software repair.After being a Jeep owner of several Jeeps for 40+ years I finally talked myself into buying a new 2020 Gladiator and I love it.I believe I will throw my passion into organizing a class action law suit to facilitate a clutch repair that doesn't lower performance and won't blow up.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Will be getting the software update next friday. My clutch feels like butter, so much so that it is hard to tell where the engagement point is as compared to other manuals I had growing up (shitty 80s mazda 3, couple of routine GTIs, a unique Saab 900 and an awesome but expensive 03 BMW 325ixT).

I will report back on whether the software fix appears to make any change in day to day driving. I have just under 5K miles on my JTR now.

hawk14414

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Billet silver JTR 6 speed
I have no doubt that the day to day driving will be fine. What I want to know is what will the software do If it detects a condition it doesn't like, meaning excessive heat. Sounds like Jeep is saying it will reduce power/torque...but how? Limp mode? For how long? What happens if this occurs when I'm 100 miles from nowhere in the back woods of Maine????

I'm close to giving up on this rig.....Jeep is clearly ducking the root cause of the issue and focusing on a low cost band-aid solution (assuming the software patch is all they will do....).
Sponsored