Sponsored

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
Will be getting the software update next friday. My clutch feels like butter, so much so that it is hard to tell where the engagement point is as compared to other manuals I had growing up (shitty 80s mazda 3, couple of routine GTIs, a unique Saab 900 and an awesome but expensive 03 BMW 325ixT).

I will report back on whether the software fix appears to make any change in day to day driving. I have just under 5K miles on my JTR now.
Hard to tell engagement point? Lol, stop wearing boots. You can always feel engagement points.
I am extremely disappointed in this proposed software repair.After being a Jeep owner of several Jeeps for 40+ years I finally talked myself into buying a new 2020 Gladiator and I love it.I believe I will throw my passion into organizing a class action law suit to facilitate a clutch repair that doesn't lower performance and won't blow up.
I'm starting to think that the issue is a bad release bearing, that could cause the clutch to slip right? Even if youre starting to just learn a manual, how to get the flywheel to that temperture?? You have to be purposely abusing it or something else has to cause it, no?
When it goes in for the update I'll have it checked out. For now, it drives like it's supposed to
Def make sure you get it checked, mine went back to normal out of the blue today. Clearly that means it should not feel gritty or that its rubbing something. When the engine is on, im assuming the only thing that changes is the release bearing moving? Hopefully, mine remains normal.
Sponsored

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
I think it is way too early to get torqued off about whether we are getting de-torqued in any way that has any practical effect - especially because of this observation by DaveCS1 who seems to have substantial tuning experience both in general and on the JT in particular https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/jeep-screwed-us.42258/post-682735

Regarding the comment about feeling engagement point or not, my JT, new, had the vaguest engagement point of anything I have driven (and I've driven stick in everything from '62 1200CC VWs with low compression and completely worn out clutch, to a '70s F350 towtruck with a towing clutch) - but it got better after "clutch recall #1" - it still has less engagement zone feedback than I would like but it's better...

I'd still like to maybe get a single mass flywheel Centerforce clutch at some point, but I am not letting any of this diminish how much I enjoy this truck.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
@SelfmodJT - I didn't say it was impossible - just that it is not as "feelable" as other cars i have had. Also I often wear boots in my JT. I live in Hoth. It is cold, wet, muddy and I'm often outside. I can't wear flip flops or heel :CWL: 😁 every day.

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
I am extremely disappointed in this proposed software repair.After being a Jeep owner of several Jeeps for 40+ years I finally talked myself into buying a new 2020 Gladiator and I love it.I believe I will throw my passion into organizing a class action law suit to facilitate a clutch repair that doesn't lower performance and won't blow up.
We don't know if they are planning a longer term fix yet. They haven't said. This might be a temp fix while they engineer a better fix.

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Design
@SelfmodJT - I didn't say it was impossible - just that it is not as "feelable" as other cars i have had. Also I often wear boots in my JT. I live in Hoth. It is cold, wet, muddy and I'm often outside. I can't wear flip flops or heel :CWL: 😁 every day.
Barefoot this clutch pedal still has no feel. It is completely lifeless.

Should I get the vehicle checked to see if they ever did the first recall before I replace the clutch? I have a centerforce enroute, but reading this I wonder if I should have them test to ensure it doesn't have the issue where it needs bled off. I may just have the shop that installs the clutch check it. I don't want them to install the nerf software on my ecm.

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Barefoot this clutch pedal still has no feel. It is completely lifeless.

Should I get the vehicle checked to see if they ever did the first recall before I replace the clutch? I have a centerforce enroute, but reading this I wonder if I should have them test to ensure it doesn't have the issue where it needs bled off. I may just have the shop that installs the clutch check it. I don't want them to install the nerf software on my ecm.
What prevents the dealer applying the software fix to your JT after you install the CF clutch?

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Design
What prevents the dealer applying the software fix to your JT after you install the CF clutch?
Nothing. I just don't intend to take it to them unless something is severely broken. At that point, I am probably screwed. Most manufacturers require dealers to complete open recall's before any warranty work will be paid for.

All I can do is push back as much as possible before the service.

jc1986

First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon sting grey 6spd
I was at the dealership today to get one of the Jeep wave oil changes and they mentioned I had the recall, which I knew. They came back like 30mins later and said “they couldn’t get the software update, we will have to do this at a different time”.

I really don’t think these dealers really know what’s going on. I get it that manuals are a rarity these days, but recall like this seems like it would be of high priority.

Does anybody have any updates on the CF update?

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Will be getting the software update next friday. My clutch feels like butter, so much so that it is hard to tell where the engagement point is as compared to other manuals I had growing up (shitty 80s mazda 3, couple of routine GTIs, a unique Saab 900 and an awesome but expensive 03 BMW 325ixT).

I will report back on whether the software fix appears to make any change in day to day driving. I have just under 5K miles on my JTR now.
My recall notice on the Mopar site is still saying the fix isn't available. Has your dealer told you that it is?

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
My recall notice on the Mopar site is still saying the fix isn't available. Has your dealer told you that it is?
Not really. I'm bringing it in for its first oil change and told the service advisor I had the recall and wanted to get it taken care of. She said she was sure it would. Either she was saying it without knowing or she knew what she was talking about. I couldn't tell so I am in wait and see mode...

Sponsored

Sam007

First Name
Lauren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator sport
Occupation
Building engineer
With the history of these manual JTs, I'd not boost the torque on them without a clutch upgrade. No way I'd add HP and torque when there's a part of the drive train that's already experiencing issues with stock HP and torque.
I'd go after-market clutch if possible.
Yes, Jeep should be installing an upgrade at their cost as the solution.

2004blackwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 wrx, 2005 xterra, 2014 durango, formerly 1998 wrangler
Yes, Jeep should be installing an upgrade at their cost as the solution.
At least 50 percent of us feel this way. What is our real course of action so we dont get ripped off? I want larger tires and a super charger but am now scared its not worth the hassle if the clutch wont last. A bunch of us being upset on here wont do anything. If 20 thousand of us dont buy a jeep again they wont notice. So how do we take it to them the way they are robbing us of the truck we bought?. Most of us are well aware Jeeps are overpriced but are willing to pay the premium for the vehicle. We are not willing to pay a premium to get less then what we originally agreed to.

KAT$JT

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
~ '20 Punk'n Metallic Rubicon ~ '19 BMW X3 M40i~
Occupation
Director of IT
Vehicle Showcase
At least 50 percent of us feel this way. What is our real course of action so we dont get ripped off? I want larger tires and a super charger but am now scared its not worth the hassle if the clutch wont last. A bunch of us being upset on here wont do anything. If 20 thousand of us dont buy a jeep again they wont notice. So how do we take it to them the way they are robbing us of the truck we bought?. Most of us are well aware Jeeps are overpriced but are willing to pay the premium for the vehicle. We are not willing to pay a premium to get less then what we originally agreed to.
Only real course of actions are a class action lawsuit, don't ever buy a Jeep again, are live with their fix.

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
Yup, its called biting the bullet. More then a cheap fix, i want a definitive fix. By that i mean, is it 100% the clutch? Will replacing the clutch fix it 100%? Idc about spending another 1500 if that fixes it. Whats 1500 when we spend so much money on mods anyway? Just tell me what the actual problem is so i can resolve it and not worry about it...
Sponsored