First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
The remedy is to add software to reduce engine torque capability? So the problem is a defective clutch pressure plate and the solution is software? What will reducing engine torque capability mean for the overall torque the truck puts out? Seems like a band-aid. But I'm not a mechanic.

Deleted member 30519

I know these had the clutch overheating recall early on but not sure if its the same one. Mine was completed before I bought it at the dealership.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The remedy is to add software to reduce engine torque capability? So the problem is a defective clutch pressure plate and the solution is software? What will reducing engine torque capability mean for the overall torque the truck puts out? Seems like a band-aid. But I'm not a mechanic.
And now, the rest of the story.........
>> when clutch assembly temperatures rise to a level that may damage the inner pressure plate.<<

Reduced WHEN/IF temps reach the danger zone, otherwise, NOT.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This part is interesting - does this imply anything? ->

The suspect period began on December 21, 2018, when production of Jeep Gladiator vehicles equipped with manual transmissions started, and concluded on January 22, 2021, when shipment of Jeep Gladiator vehicles with manual transmissions ended.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Oh good...

"Number of potentially involved : 42,887 Estimated percentage with defect : 100 %

Planned Owner Notification Date : MAR 19, 2021 - MAR 19, 2021"

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Oh good...

"Number of potentially involved : 42,887 Estimated percentage with defect : 100 %

Planned Owner Notification Date : MAR 19, 2021 - MAR 19, 2021"
Yeah, caught that. So they've known for 2 years and are waiting for over a month to notify owners. Gotta love that.
Basically it was designed with too much torque for that clutch, or not enough clutch for that torque.

I was at the Cordova track sitting near the staging area, where they do the burnouts, and a guy was doing just that and there was a huge, and I mean huge, BANG! and suddenly the noise level dropped sharply. A guy got out of his car, limping, and there was shrapnel all over that part of the track. I got a chunk of flywheel as souvenir. Things got hot, flywheel exploded, shredded the bell housing and sent the transmission sideways and the shifter smacked the guy in the leg, hard, lots of dents in the floor of the car.
Overheating spinning parts - nothing to mess with.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Yeah, caught that. So they've known for 2 years and are waiting for over a month to notify owners. Gotta love that.
Basically it was designed with too much torque for that clutch, or not enough clutch for that torque.

I was at the Cordova track sitting near the staging area, where they do the burnouts, and a guy was doing just that and there was a huge, and I mean huge, BANG! and suddenly the noise level dropped sharply. A guy got out of his car, limping, and there was shrapnel all over that part of the track. I got a chunk of flywheel as souvenir. Things got hot, flywheel exploded, shredded the bell housing and sent the transmission sideways and the shifter smacked the guy in the leg, hard, lots of dents in the floor of the car.
Overheating spinning parts - nothing to mess with.
Yikes.

I am disappointed that the answer is less torque vs stronger clutch.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So much for buying one to race.

Sponsored

tjbrown23

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
So it does include recent builds as I have a 2021 JTR and it comes up on a vin search.

I wonder if this is just an update to the previous recall for 2020s with the clutch replacement and now they have a software fix rather than upgrading the clutch and applying to all manual transmissions?

Also, is this just a prevention for people accidentally dumping the clutch or doing stupid stuff? Or do we need to be concerned with long term normal driving and everyday wear for fires and shrapnel lol?

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
Ooofda. This is pretty extreme. And the response is lowering the already low torque?

Fragging a pressure plate is pretty extreme. Looking in another post, seems like a whole new system is available for much higher torque ratings.

I also wonder what that tuning will do for future tuning. I was eventually hoping to have additional power work and performance done, but wonder if that will be a tuning calibration that can be filtered out in future updates. I didn't totally splurge on the purchase price, I was saving for a supercharger instead. Which seems concerning to do now with a less than reasonable expectation of durability out this trans. Is this the sole Achilles heel on these things? Or is the rest built to a lower power spec across the board?

With just over 6,000 6MT Glads made, this really wont help that number grow. But glad to see the aftermarket has options beyond reduce power and hope. definitely watching how this will play out as it seems not much will be done over the next few weeks.

I’m trying to decide between Centerforce standard and dual friction. I figured I was planning to up grade before this recall. No problems and I’ve just gotten used to the on-off clutch feel but I think the Centerforce clutch will do better at towing, hill holding and off road and will better handle the 37s I have planned.

165C3620-C60D-4CA7-BF1D-E090D61E317F.png

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ooofda. This is pretty extreme. And the response is lowering the already low torque?

Fragging a pressure plate is pretty extreme. Looking in another post, seems like a whole new system is available for much higher torque ratings.

I also wonder what that tuning will do for future tuning. I was eventually hoping to have additional power work and performance done, but wonder if that will be a tuning calibration that can be filtered out in future updates. I didn't totally splurge on the purchase price, I was saving for a supercharger instead. Which seems concerning to do now with a less than reasonable expectation of durability out this trans. Is this the sole Achilles heel on these things? Or is the rest built to a lower power spec across the board?

With just over 6,000 6MT Glads made, this really wont help that number grow. But glad to see the aftermarket has options beyond reduce power and hope. definitely watching how this will play out as it seems not much will be done over the next few weeks.
With the history of these manual JTs, I'd not boost the torque on them without a clutch upgrade. No way I'd add HP and torque when there's a part of the drive train that's already experiencing issues with stock HP and torque.
I'd go after-market clutch if possible.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
No, there's no software change that does that. If that were the case, you'd have to reduce it so much that nobody would want to keep their Jeep. So the pressure plate is not actually the problem, but rather is affected by the problem. If it was, they would simply replace the pressure plate.

So I will try to explain what the problem actually is, according to what I've been told and gleaned from a variety of sources, which I consider reliable and knowledgeable. My understanding (This is NOT from FCA directly, but rather from the sources.) It was explained to me that the defect is in the slave cylinder not being properly bled during manufacturing. The other parts are to protect vulnerable lines in case the pressure plate blows apart.

So that moves us to the pressure plate. If a Jeep has the problem where the slave cylinder was not properly bled, the clutch never fully engages, even with your foot completely off of it. This causes slipping, which even if slight, causes constant friction. It can heat up to almost around 1000 degrees, in extreme cases. On one of the Jeeps that burned to the ground, it was reported that the investigation estimated the pressure plate may have heated up closer to 1400 degrees. There is not a production street vehicle pressure plate in the world that can handle this kind of heat. So it weakens it or causes structural damage (I am not a metal expert, so I can't tell you exactly what happens, but only that it changes it and it is bad) and can then potentially fly to pieces and can bust out of the bell housing and sever those lines, causing a fire.

So the recall does not replace the pressure plate unless the clutch is prematurely worn and reprogramming the engine tune is NOT a part of the recall. Rather, they bleed the slave cylinder properly, then add the protective parts, such as a sleeve over one of the clutch fluid lines. They then check your clutch for wear, and if it fails the wear test, they replace it, too.

So here's the fun part. The wear check procedure goes something like this. Engage the parking brake. Put the transmission into 4th gear (maybe 3rd, but I can't remember). Run the engine to 4000rpm. Dump the clutch. If the engine stalls immediately, the clutch is not worn and passes the test. If the engine continues to run or struggle or sputter for any length of time, the clutch is worn and does not pass and must be replaced.

My dealer is pretty good, especially with clutches and manual transmissions. Still, I wanted to know for myself that my clutch was not worn. So I did the test. It passed, just like they said. They also reported that mine, like all the ones upon which they performed the recall, was properly bled from the factory and did not exhibit any issue, and again, it passed the wear test. So I'd imagine the ones with the problem were pretty few in number, although i do remember one or two folks on the JL forum saying they got a new clutch because theirs failed the test.

My Jeep got the protective parts and they bled it anyway. Recall complete. Nothing changed. It feels the same, accelerates the same, and is doing just fine after 41k miles, including a great deal of off roading and towing a boat. Power feels exactly the same. Actually, I'd say it feels even better as the engine has broken in, especially since about 20k miles. It feels stronger and like it revs more freely. But that had nothing to do with the recall. It felt that way before and after the recall.

So don't get too riled up about it. Chances are that your Jeep is fine. If you bought it since the recall, it has already been done, as it would have been illegal for them to sell it to you before completing it. Part of the delay in parts was to get the unsold vehicles fixed quickly.

If you had your vehicle back in May of 2020 and you still haven't gotten it done, then that might be on you. Get it in right away and get the parts ordered. If you bought it since then, check with FCA to confirm it was completed. Then don't worry about it.

Finally, like I said, mine is at 41k and has performed flawlessly from day 1. I'll come back and let you know if that changes. I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

And one other note. The transmission is rated for more torque than the 3.6 produces. Not a huge amount more, but certainly more. So reducing the torque output by even a small percentage would make no real difference, anyway. I've seen nothing from any source to indicate that a reprogram was a part of the solution. I think that's just rumor.
Sponsored