Sponsored

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
I think they dont know wtf is actually wrong with it if you ask me. I thought they replaced the clutch assembly last recall? Those that have been replaced were also recalled again. Unless, did they replace the clutch with the same clutch lol?
The first recall fixed an issue with air in the hydraulic line and replaced damaged clutch systems with identical parts. Upgraded parts were not installed.
Sponsored

tjbrown23

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I wonder if this was one of Jeeps that blew a clutch lmao. Like I said before you don't know what the shit people were doing when it happened. It could just be a software patch to prevent stupid ass people from destroying their clutch and FCA had to address it because of a fire/explosion risk.

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
I am for tomfoolery. Its a Jeep. They are fun. But they shouldn't be grenading and catching fire. At most, I should be out a clutch, not out a whole Jeep cuz it went up in flames.

They are quite new, not 50-100k miles and beaten on. So if they are failing this young. What of them in 3-5 years of use and wear? That's the part that sucks. Especially as this isn't hellcat swapped power territory. Its a pentastar.

I do trust the overall integrity and idea of the clutch system, now. A few posts ago, I was less than convinced. And I do understand the fix, and that it will solve the problem.

My laments are personal and seems to be shared by a few, and that is, that it will put one more conservative nanny onboard that I wont be able to defeat, and it'll hit digital fences when needed at the extreme end of uses either for purpose or pleasure, instead of giving it all, safely.
And that was kinda the point in getting the manual for me. I was happy to replace a clutch earlier in it's life to have that wiggle room. But the design of the trans is of a different sort. Not bad for most, and probably made it easier and more approachable to use for many. But not quite in-line what I expected to get in outcome from a Jeep, which is a plucky thing that billy goats and takes to fun mods without too much complaint, or real harm to myself or the vehicle.

Last edited:

DavdZ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2016 Ural 2008 Mercury Mariner
I wanted a manual transmission but would have had to order when they weren't taking orders. That, a 61 year old left knee and maybe getting a plow is yet another reason I was smart to go automatic

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Before people jump down my throat they did put a stop sell order out for manual JTs hahahaha shit happens guys if we wanted reliability we should have bought a Tacoma. In the meantime drive slow and steady lol?
In the 2.5 years I owned my 2017 Tacoma I had a whining noise from the rear diff, cam sensor recall, peeling paint, and a frame rust campaign. I wasn’t alone either, many people had the exact same problems with them. I wouldn’t exactly jump on them as reliable anymore either 😂

Sponsored

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
my lasr manual was a 1998 Jeep Weangler TJ. traded it in in 2007. 126 k on original clutch

tjbrown23

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
In the 2.5 years I owned my 2017 Tacoma I had a whining noise from the rear diff, cam sensor recall, peeling paint, and a frame rust campaign. I wasn’t alone either, many people had the exact same problems with them. I wouldn’t exactly jump on them as reliable anymore either 😂
Hahaha it was a suttle jab at people thinking these things should be 100% perfect. I had a 2017 Nissan Titan pro4x and in 3 years it had a rebuilt motor due to cylinder scoring in all 8 cylinders, new transmission, fuel tank, and repairs to the power steering. When I traded it in the transmission was slipping again so it happens to everyone lol.

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
if you look in the photo with the pressure plate, you can see the second clutch disk. It rides on the splines of the disk that is removed.
It looks to be encapsulated, but the disk is there if you look again. I had to stare a bit, as it’s a new setup for me.
You're absolutely right. Seems like a weirdly-way-overcomplicated design for this application. There must be a lot going on within what looks like the pressure plate housing, but that also contains that captive second disk.

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
Not pleased to learn of this but I'm going to be in a standby and monitor mode, until we start really learning more. I had the first clutch recall done and ended up with slightly better clutch feel in the friction zone, which I am glad for.

If this next development truly ends up being verified that it's only moderate detuning that only happens in response to some specific detection of truly unusually elevated clutch/pressure plate temperatures, I am not going to care a lot. But I don't expect that there is an existing sensor for clutch temperatures and I am not going to be impressed if the system somehow interpolates what conditions it could potentially heat up in. Again, wait and see what this truly turns out to be.

I see no evidence that the transmission is under-rated in relation to OE engine torque; any specs I have looked up show that the transmission has what it needs. I chalk this at least partially up to crappy design characteristics inherent in a dual mass clutch, which has less thermal mass to sink and dissipate heat and more pieces to blow apart when it overheats. A lot of factors are driving manufacturers to use the dual mass clutches in almost any of the small group of remaining MT vehicles, but I'd rather retrofit a good aftermarket single mass clutch, if that ever manages to rise to the top of my available funds/time/relative priority.
My assumption is that they will use some sort of combination of existing sensor readings to come up with an algorithm.

Such as:
-clutch pedal switch not engaged? check.
-engine rpm above xxxx? check.
-Wheel not moving at appropriate speed? check.
-if all three are met > pull throttle.

Not sure how slipping the clutch will play into this, but we shall see.

I absolutely despise these sort of bandaid fixes though. Years ago, I was looking at one of the new Jeep Cherokees for a Daily Driver. I never ended up getting one because Jeep never fixed what was obviously a mechanical transmission issue. They just kept updating the software and it never fixed the damn problem. I finally said F'it and moved on.

Glad to see they are still pulling these same BS fixes with 'software updates'.

Happiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner...

Sponsored

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
Lol, i guess we(MT fanactics) have to admit we are stubborn people. When i was doing research everything pointed to buying an automatic. The fact that i couldnt buy a manual with the maxtow package should of made the decision crystal clear. I also wondered wtf they wouldnt let us get that option with a manual transmission? So they must have known something, right? But like all you guys, i decided i had to have the manual.

Btw i realized this recall is a mandatory recall for us( buyers ) the voluntary recall was fca voluntarily doing the recall before they were forced to. We have no choice, if you dont get the recall done what recourse do you have if it catches on fire?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That's an interesting point on ESS. It would like a lighter flywheel I bet, as it takes a big load off the strain of the starter than turning a big flywheel.
Actually, the heavier flywheel smooths things out and makes it easier on the starter. Initial torque is high but the motion after that is smoother. If you've cranked an engine by hand, I mean that didn't have electric start, you might have noticed that the heavier flywheel made it smoother.
One example is a rotary lawn mower from the 70s. No blade on the mower it's a bitch to crank, blade on it acts as flywheel and smooths out the pull. It's not as easy to get it turning but once turning it's a lot easier on it.
I note the tendency toward belt-drive starting systems in some vehicles and I wonder if that's to smooth things out with a lighter flywheel on smaller engines (4 cylinders, for example)

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, i wouldnt be suprised.if this doesnt fix the problem. As someone stated, its a manual transmission. Even if the torque is reduced, im sure some asshole will find away to still slip the clutch and overheat it. What are they going to do then? Have it shut off and not restart for 30 mins lol.

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And 3 strikes theyre out, right? Lemon law? Or do recalls count?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The first recall fixed an issue with air in the hydraulic line and replaced damaged clutch systems with identical parts. Upgraded parts were not installed.
Correct, and if they passed the stall test, the clutch disk and pressure plate themselves were not replaced at all. Only if they failed the stall test..........
Sponsored