Skylar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
GFC Engineer
It was -22°F last weekend and my remote start worked fine. Does that help? 🥶
Same here -20's for 2 weeks straight and my garage isn't cleaned out yet for it to sit inside so definitely got as cold as possible. Not a single problem!
Sponsored

Dim

First Name
Dimitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon Launch Edition Granite Crystal
Occupation
Self employed
I had read that the remote start will not work in really cold temps. Anybody know if that is true or not?

I have had mine not work a couple times now, temps in the single digits. All I get is one honk with the double tap of the button. All other times it has worked flawlessly.
I had the exact same situation as you. Only one honk and no start . Was also pretty cold but I think it’s mostly due to the way you used it on the previous use .
I remember that I showed to my sis how it worked and start it with the remote then switch it off also with the remote and then close the car . And the next day it didn’t worked ....

MyGeekDaddy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
I had the exact same situation as you. Only one honk and no start . Was also pretty cold but I think it’s mostly due to the way you used it on the previous use .
I remember that I showed to my sis how it worked and start it with the remote then switch it off also with the remote and then close the car . And the next day it didn’t worked ....
Did you actually start your JT again from inside the cab? I believe if you let the remote start timeout by running more than 10 min, the remote start won't activate again until the JT is started from inside the cab.

I haven't seen documentation on this yet, but I know if I start it early when leaving work, and it goes more than 10 min, I have not been able to remote start it again.

Sponsored

Smittie

First Name
Smittie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
smittie.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2019 Jeep Renegade
Occupation
Technology Consultant in Agriculture
I had read that the remote start will not work in really cold temps. Anybody know if that is true or not?

I have had mine not work a couple times now, temps in the single digits. All I get is one honk with the double tap of the button. All other times it has worked flawlessly.
Sub-zero mornings are pretty common here, especially these past ten days. Remote start works every time on both the Renegade and the Gladiator.

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Thanks for all the info and personal experiences. Throw this into the mix, last couple times I have tried the remote start it has worked, -10F to -15F. So, no idea or explanation.

HemiMagnum1

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody, Durango SRT 392
Well apparently temps are not it. I really did not think that would be it but needed to ask.

Wonder what is the deal with mine then. Most of the time it does just fine. Only these 2 times so far.

Only other thing that has happened within the last couple days is the blue screen for backup camera and the skipping audio for the radio. That was only for a startup, after shutting it off and starting again after work it was fine. Wonder if there is something with the electronics, man I hope not.
That sounds like what happens after the battery gets disconnected. Perhaps the connection is loose or battery is almost dead making the Gladiator think it needs to reboot?

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
I get the one honk- no start, I use mine for the opposite here in Houston. Its Hot- i want it to cool down. Last month the dealer replaced my batteries (both) and i thought that would fix it- it didn't. I used my Jscan to reset the ECU and no change- full tank, doors on, roof closed, hood closed, 85 degrees- no start. Hasn't remote started since they changed out the batteries. Ugh- i didn't want to have to take it back to the dealer....

Sponsored

Phishs

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JTM, 21 JTR (traded)
I just had this happen to me for the first time. It’s a 2021 with 26,000 miles. Full tank of gas. Doors / hood closed. Hit the remote start and it made a quick sound like it was going to crank and didn’t. Tried twice then started the truck. Waiting 5 mins and turned the truck off and tried remote again with the same results. Got in the truck and it started right up again. Any ideas?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I just had this happen to me for the first time. It’s a 2021 with 26,000 miles. Full tank of gas. Doors / hood closed. Hit the remote start and it made a quick sound like it was going to crank and didn’t. Tried twice then started the truck. Waiting 5 mins and turned the truck off and tried remote again with the same results. Got in the truck and it started right up again. Any ideas?
The cold temperatures and the state of the original batteries may make the voltage just low enough that the Remote Start won't trigger.

It could be other issues, like a loose sensor or door not closed tight. There is a whole list of things it checks before it will allow a Remote Start.

Phishs

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JTM, 21 JTR (traded)
The cold temperatures and the state of the original batteries may make the voltage just low enough that the Remote Start won't trigger.

It could be other issues, like a loose sensor or door not closed tight. There is a whole list of things it checks before it will allow a Remote Start.
If the voltage drops due to the cold like that, is it possible it’ll come back to normal in normal temps or will it definitely need to be replaced at that point?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
If the voltage drops due to the cold like that, is it possible it’ll come back to normal in normal temps or will it definitely need to be replaced at that point?
It may recover when it gets warmer. The average lifespan of batteries in the JT is about three years, less if they are not regularly driven or kept on a battery maintainer.

Disconnect the negative cables and separately charge each battery. Pull the IBS from the negative post while charging so it gets reset. That should help, and possibly extend the time before the batteries need replaced.