Should I go Rubicon or Mojave?

AP Double

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTM - Sarge Green - MT
Man, all these deals at Gupton have me considering working with them and flying/driving out there to pick one up.
For sure. That's where I will be picking up my 22 Mojave. Gupton for the win. And some light wheeling on the way home (Nemo's tunnel etc).

I really thought long and hard about the Rubicon vs Mojave too. Here is an article that opened my eyes to the Mojave:

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2020-jeep-gladiator-mojave-first-drive-review/

After test drives, I was convinced that the Mojave was the way to go for me. It just felt right to me. The Gladiator will never be such a great rock crawler IMO with that long wheel base, so the Rubicon gear seemed to be taking this truck in a direction away from it's natural ability, if you will. But the Mojave gear seemed to be improving on what it could do best: go FAST on logging roads and beaches and wherever. That's more my thing.

Honestly though, both of these trucks are amazing and ignite my enthusiasm almost equally. I would be so happy with either. The choice is more about what felt right to me, and where I see myself enjoying my Gladiator off-road. For me, it's country roads and seasonal forest roads, beaches - and I love me some SPEED.
Sponsored

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
No that is the over all average on a 3,500 mile three week trip, trails alone I never came close to that.
I was getting 19ish while doing the 4 wheeling on my trip. 22.5 avg for 6k miles from coast to coast

ShirtlessCubsFan

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GLI, 2020 Mercedes GLB, 2022 Mojave
Occupation
Systems Engineer
In a perfect world I'd be waiting on a Mojave diesel 6MT.

Sponsored

Outside Reality Check

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 Toyota 4Runner LTD
Occupation
Surgical Technologist
Vehicle Showcase
In 2019 Mojave's weren't out yet. I went Rubicon, it had everything I needed it to have. Especially things I didn't realize I needed. When Mojave's hit, I was ready to trade up; I liked the features they put together. I thought about the loss I'd take on the trade, I thought about what I wanted to be able to do.
Question: What would it take to make the Rubicon, Mojave-like capable?
What would it take to make the Mojave, Rubicon-like capable?
It was more cost effective to make the Rubicon more Mojave-like and enhance crawling capability. Best option that worked for me. I spent what I would have lost on the trade to mod the Rubicon. Does that make sense? Probably not, but my wife bought it, so I spent $11K like a drunken sailor. Really glad I did - couldn't be happier with the results.

4E94968B-D6E0-4E94-8F14-DFC86175B708.jpeg

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

James H

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Jack of all tirades

NotSo Bright White

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR DIESEL
Occupation
Retire Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, I definitely agree with the sentiment. However, this being our first Jeep, I’m having a really hard time deciding. This whole process has been harder that choosing between women, and I’ve heard that it’ll be even more expensive than marrying one..
I have been married for 31 years! Currently retired and spend my days buying or planning on purchasing my next mod. You are wrong!

Sponsored

f33d

First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/mojave-vs-rubicon-help-me-decide.31658/

Can't add a winch ready bumper to a Mojave. The Mojave wheels are unique to the Mojave.
Adding a rugged ridge Arcus plus 12k badlands winch today. These fit the factory skids without any trimming needed. There’s not a massive amount out there but if you did need to trim it’s minimal.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/rugged-...-bumper-winch-mount-jeep-wrangler-jl-11549.04

OP
OP

JTmaybeTX

First Name
A-Mart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
So much helpful information from y’all, thank you!

I guess the plan as of now is try to find a Mojave to test drive Just to see what the big differences in ride quality/seats/steering wheel are. So far, two dealers down here have said they would honor 1% under invoice pricing, with one dealer also wanting to add their bs “protection Package.” What would y’all say would be a fair deal in today’s market? I know Gupton is known for incredible deals, but how about what the norm is?

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2021 BMW M2, 2012 Monster 1100evo
Occupation
Business Intelligence

I guess the plan as of now is try to find a Mojave to test drive Just to see what the big differences in ride quality/seats/steering wheel are. So far, two dealers down here have said they would honor 1% under invoice pricing, with one dealer also wanting to add their bs “protection Package.” What would y’all say would be a fair deal in today’s market? I know Gupton is known for incredible deals, but how about what the norm is?
1% under invoice is not special at all, you can do way better.

My local dealer in VA when for 6% under invoice when I asked. In person I told them that I'd later be drafting a workbook with my offer that would be what I can get at Gupton. I provided a itemized spreadsheet outlining every option I wanted and the invoice price, and how much I expected to pay for all that + taxes, title, etc. I ordered my '22 in mid Oct.

All thanks to this forum.

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
You’re absolutely right, I need to just wait until I can test drive a Mojave. There’s just none in my area at the moment. I would have to take a weekend and drive up to Austin possibly.

Good luck here in ATX. I was just at my dealership on Monday for warranty work and their lot only had 1 JT on it and it was a Willys. Looking online they show they have 5 Mojaves, but I doubt they're actually there at the moment and are just allotted to them and on the way. Additionally all show to be fully spec'd out and have an MSRP of $65k for consideration.
Jeep Gladiator Should I go Rubicon or Mojave? 1638457562713

I don't think I've seen it discussed, but from when I was searching for my JT this summer that's one of the things I discovered pretty quickly around here is that all of the Rubis and Mojaves (if they had any) were for the most part fully loaded. There's a lot of disposable income here and it seems people interested in the Rubicon or Mojave are just interested in buying the highest trim for the highest dollar so their neighbors can be impressed. Depending on what features you want to go with it, it may be difficult to find a Rubi or a Mojave sitting on a lot that's not fully loaded for that reason. Unless of course you're interested in a fully loaded one.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red

Ordering, or on the lot? If its on the lot 1% is a good deal. In demand cars are moving quick when in stock and there is no incentive for them to give you a better deal, honestly even msrp on jeeps is a good deal right now if its an on the lot as they'll sell. Ordering you can do much better since you're going to wait and the dealer will have minimal money tied up in it. In that case consider a trip to gupton is going to be 1 -2K worth of time and money so deal accordingly.
Sponsored