First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Title attorney
I camp often but just pitch it on the ground. Have a mountain hard wear 3 man, a go-lite shangiila 5, and a 6 person seek outside tipi. I use a kifaru medium stove in the tipi and shangrila.

it’s easy to ground camp; and then you can drive off to go to town, go to a deer stand, or go scouting on the fire roads.

What’s the purpose of camping on the roof? I can sure see why in Africa considering dangerous game and snakes, but what’s the advantage in the USA?

It must eat gas mileage too with all the stuff up top??
Sponsored

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I camp often but just pitch it on the ground. Have a mountain hard wear 3 man, a go-lite shangiila 5, and a 6 person seek outside tipi. I use a kifaru medium stove in the tipi and shangrila.

it’s easy to ground camp; and then you can drive off to go to town, go to a deer stand, or go scouting on the fire roads.

What’s the purpose of camping on the roof? I can sure see why in Africa considering dangerous game and snakes, but what’s the advantage in the USA?

It must eat gas mileage too with all the stuff up top??
How do people even know you camp bro, if your tent is hidden?

Kidding aside, I think both have their advantages.

Rooftop Tents: It lift you, away from pest. Most have a mattress built into them. Most setup in about a minute or two. Bedding is stored inside the tent. So tent plus bedding is out of the way for more storage space.

I agree with the gas millage issue. I get taking the hit when you head out to camp, but I see trucks everyday with tents on them. The removal and storage of it is not convenient, between trips and hauling it around everyday doesn't seem efficient either. Then again, I see guys with every accessory possible attached to their trucks, as a daily driver.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Aside from the convenience PDiddy points out, I’ve been struggling with this too. They are hella expensive and you have to break down camp every time you want to go somewhere. I hammock camp when I backpack and have been looking at the tent cots for my car camping... I mean overlanding.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
RTT’s are cool. Look cool, for sure.

I’m a BIG fan of hammocks.

OP
OP

Conrad101st

First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Title attorney
How do people even know you camp bro, if your tent is hidden?
They can smell my stank when I go to the diner after a week of humping a ruck. The odor is sexy and turns chicks on. They immediately start ovulating.

Sponsored

jtimbrook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
In the time it took my sister to set up her ground tent, air mattress, sleeping bag, etc... I had our tent set up, our chairs out, and a nice refreshment going in half the time. As far as gas mileage goes so long as I’m not a lead foot I’m averaging 17-18mpg fully loaded. My back definitely appreciates the RTT too...

Jeep Gladiator So why do people like roof top tents 5FCAAA1C-432A-4BF4-9CDA-5EB939B79D5A

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
They can smell my stank when I go to the diner after a week of humping a ruck. The odor is sexy and turns chicks on. They immediately start ovulating.
Wow, I need to stop bathing immediately. Then tell people I’ve been overlanding. It’s the new axe body spray.

Sponsored

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Mainly convenience. People whine about breaking down camp to move, but I have a ROAM tent and it takes me less than 10 minutes to break down, and is even faster to set up. Its also easier to level the truck than a tent. I can keep all the bedding in the tent. And you don't have to worry about clearing an area of sticks, rocks etc.

Also, my tent is much sturdier than any ground tent I have come across. The fabric is very heavy duty and the frame is pretty stout too. It'd be a PITA to have to fold that up.

NHyde

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT Manager
I am new to the RTT world (this fall was our first time) but I wanted one because I think it's cool and a fun conversation starter. That's it really...Obviously other benefits are there such as;
  1. No flooding
  2. More comfortable
  3. I don't need to pack a tent anywhere, it's on my Jeep, leaving more room for other things in the bed.
  4. I can camp in a pinch almost anywhere
  5. My kids love it
  6. Quick and easy to setup and take down.
Sponsored