Sponsored

Stumbled upon this... Autostop Eliminator

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I might have an easier and cost free way of eliminating the Autostop....just remove the switch under the hood...picture enclosed...use to be asst service mgr for a Chrysler store and hated test drives because of the auto stop asked one of the techs about it and he showed me how easy to disconnect so when I bought my Gladiator Rubicon three years ago I disconnected it before I drove off the lot and haven't had any trouble for three years. To be clear you do not disconnect the switch just remove it from the bracket and let stay connected but the switch assy lays on top of some other cabling below the bracket. Hope this helps ya and saves some money......when you sell the Jeep just put it back and it will work again. Basically when removed from bracket the Jeep thinks the hood is open...and stop/start not needed.

IMG_2149.jpeg
You dont even need to remove it, just unplug it and tie off the wire... which you should do anyhow. May need to reattach it for selling the truck, warranty work, etc.
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Hey Beemer, mid 2020 BUT it's easy to remove it from the plate and let it sit you do not remove/disconnect any wires! Just remove from the plate so you can remove it and see how it effects you and IF you can't start it via remote just reinstall it.....easy....and if you mainly use remote start during winter to warm the cabin before getting in just reinstall on the plate till weather gets better and it's back to normal. Hope that made sense and yes it's that simple.
I use it in the summer to cool off the truck.

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
That's what's so cool about this mod.....it's easy to even try it out.....switch close to fender you can see all the dust on the plate to show it's been awhile like this and still going strong.

IMG_2149.jpeg
For me it doesn't work. If I push down the plunger on the left the truck does not start and there is a message on the dash that says remote start canceled, hood open.

If I just push down the plunger you removed it starts just fine and when I let it go it immediately shuts off.

I'm not sure what the plunger on the left does but it doesn't seem to care about that one.

It looks like at least for MY2021 (my truck was built in September 21), the hood pin trick does not work, at least if you still want remote start...

I'm kind of surprised it actually works on yours, hood safety pins for remote starters have been a thing as long as I can remember...

One thing I didn't try actually was to unplug the switch. It may be that it's a NC contact that opens up when the hood closes. If that is the case then it would work as the truck would always see an open circuit as the hood being closed..

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
One thing I didn't try actually was to unplug the switch. It may be that it's a NC contact that opens up when the hood closes. If that is the case then it would work as the truck would always see an open circuit as the hood being closed..
What you're actually trying to do, though, is trick the truck into thinking the hood is open, but only for the ESS logic. So you wouldn't want to simulate a closed hood on that plunger. You want one to see it as closed, and one to see it as open. Who knows, maybe yours are reversed for some reason. Try the other one?

But if it doesn't work with one or the other unhooked, then it just doesn't work. It does seem this mod has varying degrees of success. Hence why the other easy alternatives are so often suggested instead.

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
What you're actually trying to do, though, is trick the truck into thinking the hood is open, but only for the ESS logic. So you wouldn't want to simulate a closed hood on that plunger. You want one to see it as closed, and one to see it as open. Who knows, maybe yours are reversed for some reason. Try the other one?

But if it doesn't work with one or the other unhooked, then it just doesn't work. It does seem this mod has varying degrees of success. Hence why the other easy alternatives are so often suggested instead.
Yeah, I may mess around with it a bit more to satisfy my curiosity lol.

I do have a Tazer, so this is primarily just for kicks anyway..

Sponsored

SoCalGlad

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Race Driving Instructor +
For me it doesn't work. If I push down the plunger on the left the truck does not start and there is a message on the dash that says remote start canceled, hood open.

If I just push down the plunger you removed it starts just fine and when I let it go it immediately shuts off.

I'm not sure what the plunger on the left does but it doesn't seem to care about that one.

It looks like at least for MY2021 (my truck was built in September 21), the hood pin trick does not work, at least if you still want remote start...

I'm kind of surprised it actually works on yours, hood safety pins for remote starters have been a thing as long as I can remember...

When you remove the right plunger you do not disconnect anything.......just lay the plunger attached to the wiring harness under the plate so that it thinks the hood is open then close the hood and try it again the key is to keep the right assy the way it is but laying below the plate on top of a main wiring harness for support still plugged in making it think it's in the same spot same position doing it's job.....hope that makes sense.

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
When you remove the right plunger you do not disconnect anything.......just lay the plunger attached to the wiring harness under the plate so that it thinks the hood is open then close the hood and try it again the key is to keep the right assy the way it is but laying below the plate on top of a main wiring harness for support still plugged in making it think it's in the same spot same position doing it's job.....hope that makes sense.
That makes sense and that is essentially what I tried; I pushed in the left plunger only and tried to use the remote start, but I just got the hood open message and the remote start would not work.

It did work when I pressed the right plunger, so I'm not sure what the one on the left is for, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the remote start function..

Sharpsicle mentioned that it's possible mine are reversed, but I tried both plungers one at a time and only the right one being depressed (left one not depressed) allowed the remote start to work.

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Being able to see that the auto stop, start is “ready” based on the dash read out tells me at least the battery is good.
FWIW, I have the Tazer Mini and have the ESS permanently bypassed using the Tazer's functionality and I still got the ESS warnings you speak of when my batteries were failing. Don't let that be the reason to prevent you from moving to one of these devices...

wakeup2river

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon
Cool.
So you are saying if you toggle the center display to show the ess status it will still say “ready”?

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Cool.
So you are saying if you toggle the center display to show the ess status it will still say “ready”?
The display only shows Ready if you have ESS enabled. These devices just remember whether or not you want ESS on and report that to the computer.

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
Interesting, what year is your Gladiator?

I definitely can't use remote start on my 2021 with the hood open. Maybe something to do with the other switch...
Another FYI... The remote start system is not designed to operate with the hood open. This is how they are straight from the factory.

OP
OP
OVERLORD

OVERLORD

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Steve's arrived today. Nicely packaged, fast shipping, instructions with detailed pictures. Gonna pop it in over the weekend. Thanks for the guidance, folks, and thanks for Steve for making these!

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Here's the autostopstart eliminator I use:

20230309_173216.jpg