First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave being built...
Occupation
Medical Devices
No, it really is hit or miss. It has adaptive shift and fuel tables and there are several versions running around. Depending were you end up in your driver selection and shift aggressor adaptive tables could be the difference in have this issue or not. That is not to say that something like Cam phazers is not playing into this. A large degree of the tuning depends on camshaft positioning, if this is off the models will be off and it will also flip out. My own personal take, the less aggressive driving modes seem to be have little to no tolerance for torque over run, as I imagine they figured it needed none at low loads and people driving like this want to save fuel. If you have came phazers fighting you, and the truck mass or rolling resistance is off, and you have entered into adaptive tables that have no tolerance, it can get real frustrating, quick. The good news is, it really is not having a hard misfire and no physical damage is happening to the engine, but driveability sucks.
Your knowledge of this is awesome. I'm not exactly sure what constitutes a "hard misfire", but on my family's Gladiator with this issue...it did progress to shaking relatively violently and flashing CEL.
Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Your knowledge of this is awesome. I'm not exactly sure what constitutes a "hard misfire", but on my family's Gladiator with this issue...it did progress to shaking relatively violently and flashing CEL.
Complete educated guess, but the issue causes the engine to start pulling timing. And the act of pulling the timing, then creates an actual problem, now the timing is off, the shifting is off, and the fueling is off. That is my guess as to how your JT progressed to shaking.

I am not sure if the dealer can clear the adaptive Learning. If you could get the latest software and then drive it for a bit like it owes you money, it may drive good for a while as long as there is not some real Mechanical issue like phazers, rockers or lifters.

Last edited:

Vmanftr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Bought my Gladiator in November. Have been dealing with misfires since December. Vehicle has been at the dealership since June 4th for the latest event. @JeepCares obviously couldn't care less. I had the situation escalated to a case manager that I have yet to get into contact with.
For those of you who have gotten your vehicle bought back or replaced did you have to go through the lemon law legwork?

jwork435

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Sorry-I had to delete my last post because there was identifying information on the work summary. So here it is now. This was attempt #3 to repair the issue. Dealership is working hard. Itā€™s unfortunate we are here.

F295E314-4D69-42B3-B39B-9FB7E137DB9E.jpeg

831E42F8-E4C9-4FDF-B0D7-B7923DB7E193.jpeg

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Sorry to hear that, but sad to say not surprised. I spent a good amount of time at the dealership today (where I also took note of the build date of my JT - October 2019). The service manager seemed uninformed on the issue and basically chided me for using the internet as a resource, as though I was using WebMD to diagnose my arthritis as terminal bone cancer. They are committed to tearing into my engine to replace both cams, all the rockers on the left side, etc. etc. I was pretty emphatic this was not me vs. my dealership. I have nothing against them, and rather see them as the victims of a corporate foot drag. Folks, Iā€™m not saying to not fix cars - youā€™re great at it - but this is not yours to fix.

I cannot emphasize enough how much I want to engage FCA on this. Most of those affected have build dates around Sept/Oct of 2019. This is a time-delimited supplier issue out of the engine plant in Mexico. This is not software, or as I and others have noted, the affected field would be larger. @JeepCares has promised to call me by 0818 tomorrow. Seems improbable now at 2102, thatā€™s 9:02pm for those here not of a retired military ilk like myself.

Thereā€™s even a JT like mine on the dealerā€™s lot, plus a few options, which Iā€™d be happy to try - itā€™s several thousand VIN numbers newer than mine, though Iā€™d certainly check the manufacture date.
HI Michael,
We were able to respond to your private message. Please continue to work with us there.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Bought my Gladiator in November. Have been dealing with misfires since December. Vehicle has been at the dealership since June 4th for the latest event. @JeepCares obviously couldn't care less. I had the situation escalated to a case manager that I have yet to get into contact with.
For those of you who have gotten your vehicle bought back or replaced did you have to go through the lemon law legwork?
Hi @Vmanftr
We are sorry to hear that you have not been contacted by your case manager - please send us a private message with your VIN or case number so that we may further assist you.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Stark25

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 overland
Occupation
Electrician supervisor
Build Date: TBD - It's in the shop...
Mileage @ first occurrence: 50-60 ( bought it with 36 miles on it and only had it 2 days
Times Occurred: 1
Codes Thrown: P0300
Ongoing Issue? Yes
Methods Tried to Fix: have not heard any attempt to fix yet
Was issue resolved? No my dealer is terrible tried to strong arm my wife to pay for a rental or said she could Uber to work, she had to put me on phone to force them to provide a rental and gave her serious attitude and very disrespectful to her. I expect this will not be fun adventure for us. Itā€™s our only family vehicle my truck is a company work truck and we have 3 year old.

Location Kay, Texas
Dealer autonation dodge Katy (avoid at all coast if you can)

Should have never traded my 2018 ram 2500 Laramie with 28,000 miles for this pos! if I could kick myself in the nuts I would! first Jeep and proly last Jeep!

8913F366-876E-433C-8277-0E97C976E76C.jpeg

AFFC49F6-178B-4A6E-9C10-658847FEE6A1.jpeg

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Sorry-I had to delete my last post because there was identifying information on the work summary. So here it is now. This was attempt #3 to repair the issue. Dealership is working hard. Itā€™s unfortunate we are here.
I'd be amazed if the PCM ultimately fixes this. For your sake I hope it does but that's normally the part that gets installed when they can't find anything else wrong.

jwork435

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I'd be amazed if the PCM ultimately fixes this. For your sake I hope it does but that's normally the part that gets installed when they can't find anything else wrong.
It didnā€™t. In my earlier post this morning I noted the CEL is back.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The PCM with the same software in it won't do anything. The software would hopefully run the same no matter what PCM it is flashed on to. The only saving Grace would be if you drove it more aggressive on a clean slate before the adaptive tables took to some bad map values

Sponsored

jwork435

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Sounds like you know what you are talking about. I just got off the phone with the GM at the dealership. He said he spoke to his FCA rep who asked me to bring it in one more time for a software update. The GM said, ā€œIf that doesnā€™t work youā€™ll have everything you need to file a claim for a replacement vehicle.ā€ They will be here within the hour with a loaner Gladiator and taking mine back to the shop. Also, there really might be something to the ā€œdriving aggressivelyā€ theory. I definitely donā€™t do that on a regular basis. In fact, my commute is 1.8 miles from my house. I really should walk most days. I make 4 stops at stop signs and traffic lights.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you know what you are talking about. I just got off the phone with the GM at the dealership. He said he spoke to his FCA rep who asked me to bring it in one more time for a software update. The GM said, ā€œIf that doesnā€™t work youā€™ll have everything you need to file a claim for a replacement vehicle.ā€ They will be here within the hour with a loaner Gladiator and taking mine back to the shop. Also, there really might be something to the ā€œdriving aggressivelyā€ theory. I definitely donā€™t do that on a regular basis. In fact, my commute is 1.8 miles from my house. I really should walk most days. I make 4 stops at stop signs and traffic lights.
Point being though, no one should have to drive special with a gas 6 cylinder. I mean it is an engine for the people. I believe everyone on this thread has a legitimate complaint. Common work horse engine, premium paid for Jeep packaging, low hour failure. Some will say oh but it is just software. Software is just as important as any hardware. If it is not tested for durability, repeatability, and tolerances, it fails as well as any metal piece. What floors me is you have a Haloesque brand vehicle and the response from the manufacturer seems uncoordinated at best. I am not a smart man bit it did not take much driving and data analysis with my rinky dink tools to see what is going south.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Your new PCM should have been flashed with the newest software.

I'm the least aggressive driver you'll come across and I haven't had an issue. This is not an issue that will be solved by modifying driving habits. It the vehicle isn't actually misfiring then the monitor may be too sensitive which a software update could address. Unfortunately there's no newer software than what you have right now.

jwork435

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Point being though, no one should have to drive special with a gas 6 cylinder. I mean it is an engine for the people. I believe everyone on this thread has a legitimate complaint. Common work horse engine, premium paid for Jeep packaging, low hour failure. Some will say oh but it is just software. Software is just as important as any hardware. If it is not tested for durability, repeatability, and tolerances, it fails as well as any metal piece. What floors me is you have a Haloesque brand vehicle and the response from the manufacturer seems uncoordinated at best. I am not a smart man bit it did not take much driving and data analysis with my rinky dink tools to see what is going south.
Very well put.

jwork435

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Your new PCM should have been flashed with the newest software.

I'm the least aggressive driver you'll come across and I haven't had an issue. This is not an issue that will be solved by modifying driving habits. It the vehicle isn't actually misfiring then the monitor may be too sensitive which a software update could address. Unfortunately there's no newer software than what you have right now.
This is where Iā€™ve reached the limit of my knowledge. All I know is what Iā€™ve been told. What helps me keep some optimism is the responsiveness of my dealer and knowing that on his end he is hearing what Iā€™m reading here. It may be a wild goose chase but maybe it will lead to something getting fixed. The GM said the FCA rep told him they had ā€œone other Gladiator that did this like yours (meaning mine) and they updated the software and itā€™s fixed.ā€ Again, we will see. In the meantime, my attorney already has the complete paperwork on file. Now itā€™s just a matter of who I hear from first. Again, the dealer has been responsive and this has helped.
Sponsored