Sponsored

The hardest vehicle to hand wash - ever!

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Just washed mine by hand yesterday. Yes it takes a while, but I find it cathartic, and a year and a half in, I'm still looking for any excuse to do something with the Jeep truck. When it comes to drying, I use a blade to knock most of the water off, then go around with a microfiber towel. I might have to look into that water cannon though, seems like it could cut my wash time down

Motoarch

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Occupation
Architect
I know this question stems from ignorance (my first truck) but are there any issue I would need to be aware of putting a Truck (vs car) through a car-wash?

Thanks.
None that I'm aware of but someone else might have more insite.

I was a little worried about this too at first but so far so good.

Sponsored

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
Damn at well over $50,000 I care! Iā€™m always amazed at people who want a certain car, agonize over just what color to get, which options, put aftermarket wheels and tires on them...... then neglect them or beat the shit out of them. My money comes too damn hard to ignore my truckā€™s maintenance which includes maintaining the appearance inside and out.

My last two trucks were a purchased-new 2008 Chevy 3500HD crew dually 4x4 which burned to the ground in 2016 - UGH UGH UGH, replaced with a lightly used 2014 GMC 2500HD Denali.

Both were a major undertaking to wash, clay bar and wax compare to the Gladiator. Iā€™m really enjoying this truck and itā€™s size, which is perfect for my needs now.
Apparently humor is not your forteā€™ā€¦
Jeep Gladiator The hardest vehicle to hand wash - ever! 1636468926253

nbajunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Wyllis
I bought a special microfiber sponge a pressure washer a foam Cannon. And really you don't need any of it. This is what you need. A wheel brush to clean wheels and wheel wells and trim with it's own bucket. Also skip the sponge. Use a small microfiber towel instead for washing exterior.. It will get into the nooks and crannies much easier and will work just as well as a fancy sponge. Buy a couple of microfiber waffle weave towels for drying. One for windows one for the body. And a maybe another towel for touch ups.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
The silicone water blade thing works well for quick drying, but not sure how well it'd work on a Gladiator.

They tend to work better on flat vehicles.

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, this is chicken sh@t topic but Iā€™d appreciate some tips/products to ease the pain of hand washing the Gladiator.

Let me start by saying I hand washed my F250 crew with a ladder rack many times - Iā€™d rather take it to a car wash and pay the $12 frankly but with the rack, it wasnā€™t an option. Since I added a cargo basket to the Gladiator, Iā€™m in the same boat again.

The Gladiator has so many body seams (fenders to body; hardtop seams; all sorts of nooks crannies) it takes forever to get this thing spotless - bright white doesnā€™t help - should have gone with Stingrey I guess?

Seeing as Jeeps were meant to get dirty what do all do to make the job easier?
I use my low power pressure washer or take it to through a self serve car wash. Everything we hang on has to be weighed based on many factors. One of which is, do we want to be able to drive it through a car wash? Itā€™s a Jeep, its OK if it not spit and polish. 24 hours or less after you get it perfectly clean, thatā€™s history anyway.

Last edited:

johnh442

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, RAM 1500, Chevy SS
Occupation
Computer / Car Geek
Those that say its "easier"?? WTH? Less area than say my RAM 1500, but the seams between fenders and body, the areas around hood latches are all a huge PITA to clean -- you can't get a sponge, cloth in there easily to get the sticky mud that won't come loose with just water. And it sure as heck won't come out in any kind of automated car wash.

Might be the mud/dirt in different areas is a bit stickier than others in the country. Here in Michigan it usually sticks like glue -- you have to hand wash it clean. I am sure when winter hits, damn salt will be the same way... Is there some wash brush/tool that makes this easier?

For drying, x2 on Leaf Blower (I have a battery one so its easy to use). Silicone blade works pretty well too. and then just soft cloth to dry.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bama_Swampfox

Bama_Swampfox

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland (09-14-3pm) ; Kubota 2910 Tractor; 1964 BP-1
Occupation
Retired, thank God
Those that say its "easier"?? WTH? Less area than say my RAM 1500, but the seams between fenders and body, the areas around hood latches are all a huge PITA to clean -- you can't get a sponge, cloth in there easily to get the sticky mud that won't come loose with just water. And it sure as heck won't come out in any kind of automated car wash.

Might be the mud/dirt in different areas is a bit stickier than others in the country. Here in Michigan it usually sticks like glue -- you have to hand wash it clean. I am sure when winter hits, damn salt will be the same way... Is there some wash brush/tool that makes this easier?

For drying, x2 on Leaf Blower (I have a battery one so its easy to use). Silicone blade works pretty well too. and then just soft cloth to dry.
This has been my experience as well. Around the door and hood hinges and body seams/gaps, the recess around the windshield, not even talking about the grill - and Florida love bug season - takes a lot of time.

I will say that when I made the original post I figured Iā€™d get skewered as being chicken sh@t but there is some really great information posted in the replies!

Iā€™m buying an electric pressure washer and an battery powered leaf blower and call it a day. Thanks to all the great feedback! Iā€™ll go back to thinking about more chicken sh@tā€¦.

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
This has been my experience as well. Around the door and hood hinges and body seams/gaps, the recess around the windshield, not even talking about the grill - and Florida love bug season - takes a lot of time.

I will say that when I made the original post I figured Iā€™d get skewered as being chicken sh@t but there is some really great information posted in the replies!

Iā€™m buying an electric pressure washer and an battery powered leaf blower and call it a day. Thanks to all the great feedback! Iā€™ll go back to thinking about more chicken sh@tā€¦.
Not that itā€™s related but I had to remark on your avatar pic. Gorgeous boy! Reminds me of my long gone but never forgotten Geriā€¦šŸ˜”

Jeep Gladiator The hardest vehicle to hand wash - ever! D1B05D1D-9C6A-4515-850A-AE719FD87B8C

Last edited:

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
The silicone water blade thing works well for quick drying, but not sure how well it'd work on a Gladiator.

They tend to work better on flat vehicles.
Because the Gladiator has SO many compound curves........

RS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD on order, 2017 4runner TRD
Occupation
Self Employed
Are any of you using anything for hard water? I really need to invest in a softener and a RO system. I have really hard water and it is always leaving some kind of residue somewhere either on the paint or windows.
Sponsored