Sponsored

They had the capability, they made it better, stronger, faster...

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Holy shit. WTF? Your switches are cool even though they're not factory. Stop being insecure about your switches. Factory switches probably better long-term but you have a talking point when you show off your car, you're more intimately acquainted with it and most of all you're happy with it.

No need to FOMO over this :)
Lol...exactly. I'm not sure why all the drama over a switch panel.

The OEM ones are great and if I were ordering from the factory, I'd get them. HOWEVER, I wish they had a clean way of replacing the switch covers or add labels that identify what they do. It's not hard to remember which is which, but I think having a label is cool. Plus my memory is crap, and I'd probably turn on the cube lights when I meant to turn on the rock lights at least 15 times before I finally...well...gave up, probably.

If I bought from inventory off the lot and it didn't have the aux switch group, I'd consider the Voswitch. I think it looks great too.

Options are good, people! If everything was OEM/Mopar Performance only, our Jeeps would all be the same.
Sponsored

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
Holy shit. WTF? Your switches are cool even though they're not factory. Stop being insecure about your switches. Factory switches probably better long-term but you have a talking point when you show off your car, you're more intimately acquainted with it and most of all you're happy with it.

No need to FOMO over this :)
ha ha I could care less what you think about my switches. But I do find it funny the clown above makes up things like moving parts in the engine bay or a snorkel would be in the way even though thats impossible on the drivers side. Donā€™t like the switch set up thatā€™s fine but make up reasons not to like it is hilariously retarded.

OP
OP

RacerX00

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape, 2008 VW GTI
Let's switch back to the topic at hand.
I do like his switches!

As to the subject at hand.. frankly it would seem even a base non-s out the door would be good enough for my "light work truck" duties so really it all comes down to what kind of toy I want.

Honestly as this thread has evolved it's made me think about doing just that, getting an absolute base, base, base Gladiator as possible. I keep talking about all the stupid crap I do on cars that have 1 front-wheel drive and like 6" of clearance and the truth of the matter is the additional stupid crap the base Gladiator is going to enable me to do is 10x more than enough than the max I'll do in my current lifestyle.

It's plausible I do more extreme stuff just by owning a Gladiator but the reality is the roads I negotiate are incredibly wild by most standards but are trivial for any real off-road capable vehicle.

Also, while the roads would be hella fun to go down at 100mph there are children about so that's a no-go. In terms of practical use there's no difference between a completely base out the door Gladiator and a Mojave/Rubicon.

Sponsored

02sahara

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Willys Gladiator
Occupation
Construction
All good info, thanks man. As for the deals, it's killing me but I just can't make a purchase this exact second and by the time I am ready those 2020s will be gone. I'm trying not to look.

Everything is herding cats when you're 40 with a family.
Iā€™m right there with you brother. Iā€™m bidding my time for the same reasons.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Good looking dog, the guy in my picture up there that is closest to you (black) I always speculated was APBT/Dane. He was a big boy and very closely resembled the dog in your picture there, his name was Tyrone and he ruled the roost
This is Ivan. He was our second Giant, and by far the largest. He was at or just over 150 pounds although shorter than the others in the shoulders. Schutzhund trained, he was our protector. One sad night some fool attempted to enter our rear patio slider while we were out. All the responding officers found was half a pair of Levi's and a blood trail.
Jeep Gladiator They had the capability, they made it better, stronger, faster... IMG00032-20100821-1349

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
This is Ivan. He was our second Giant, and by far the largest. He was at or just over 150 pounds although shorter than the others in the shoulders. Schutzhund trained, he was our protector. One sad night some fool attempted to enter our rear patio slider while we were out. All the responding officers found was half a pair of Levi's and a blood trail.
Jeep Gladiator They had the capability, they made it better, stronger, faster... IMG00032-20100821-1349
Beautiful dog, and I love a happy ending.

guittarmaster

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Xterra (soon to purchase gladiator)
Occupation
Chemist
My 2Ā¢ is it come down to 2 things, A) much time researching and customizing you want to do b) what upgrades you want to do.

Imho if your 15k of upgrades put you equal to a Rubi or Mojave, might as well buy it once. If youā€™re wanting to regear, huge lift, special suspension and other mods that should surpass the than rubi and mojava, they buy the sport cause there is no point in buying for premium parts on a stock truck that you plan to upgrade.

Sponsored

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gadiator Sport / Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Occupation
Teacher
This is the underneath difference between the Rubicon and Sport S. You said you plan on putting compost and heavy stuff in the bed and you want to tow a heavy landscaping trailer. The Rubicon is a lot beefier underneath to handle all of what you want to do, unless your going to change out all of the stuff underneath. If it was me I would get a Rubicon with the max tow package and any options you want. Then I would lift it 2" and add the wheels and tires of your choosing. You can sell the takeoff wheels on the internet for between $800 - $1,200 depending on the market at the time.

Good luck in your decision.

Sport VS Rubicon Differences
The clear difference between the Rubicon and Sport trims is seen in their off-road performance. Rubicon is built for extreme off-roading, with stronger axles, aggressive tires, additional gear in the transfer case, and disconnecting anti-sway bars.

Thus, Rubicon is excellent for those who love off-road wheeling. Although it may be a bit costly, its worth the extra money for off-roading fanatics.

The Sport comes with lighter axles, brakes, shocks, and the tires are less aggressive and smaller than those of Rubicon.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
This is the underneath difference between the Rubicon and Sport S. You said you plan on putting compost and heavy stuff in the bed and you want to tow a heavy landscaping trailer. The Rubicon is a lot beefier underneath to handle all of what you want to do, unless your going to change out all of the stuff underneath. If it was me I would get a Rubicon with the max tow package and any options you want. Then I would lift it 2" and add the wheels and tires of your choosing. You can sell the takeoff wheels on the internet for between $800 - $1,200 depending on the market at the time.

The clear difference between the Rubicon and Sport trims is seen in their off-road performance. Rubicon is built for extreme off-roading, with stronger axles, aggressive tires, additional gear in the transfer case, and disconnecting anti-sway bars.

Thus, Rubicon is excellent for those who love off-road wheeling. Although it may be a bit costly, its worth the extra money for off-roading fanatics.

The Sport comes with lighter axles, brakes, shocks, and the tires are less aggressive and smaller than those of Rubicon.
axles are the same on all Gladiator except for the wider Rubicon/Max Tow/Mojave. There are just two axles, not any stronger, the brakes on the max tow and Rubicon are the same. Rubicon comes with heavier and more skid plating and the other things, but the axle is not different between the Rubicon and Max Tow and the brakes are the same at least the initial 2019 made Gladiators. Maybe the 2021 have changed but I don't think they have come out with a new even heavier axle.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Gobi-Wan Kenobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport

Max tow is a Sport option not a Rubicon option. Rubicon and Sport with max tow have all the same stuff to beef up towing capacity but the Rubicon has extra weight due to the off road upgrades like skid plates so it tows a little less and hauls noticeably less then a Sport with max tow.

Also depending on the lift kit, you could reduce the effective towing capacity. so if you plan on towing/hauling much be careful when shopping lifts.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
The max tow is just fine without any mods... seriously. Iā€™ve owned a lot of Jeeps and driven a lot of off road miles. I am surprised at how capable the max tow is with the 4:10ā€™s and the 8 speed auto. Iā€™ve averaged 21 mpg on long trips and the thing is pretty quick with the little tires šŸ˜.

My jeep before this one was a JK Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock manual on 35ā€™sl. The rear locker broke twice with a few mild, really mild, off road trips(under warranty thankfully).

At 40 with young kids 99.9% of your driving will probably be on the road. Drive it and enjoy, top down doors off. There isnā€™t another modern vehicle like it!

Get the auto, I love a manual but this German 8 speed auto is magic with the V6.
Sponsored