Sponsored

Tow package on a Mojave, is it worth it?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
FYI, despite not being listed on the sticker, the Mojave has the same cooling fan as the Max Tow package. Checked my own versus friend with MT Sport. Same same.

The towing package is the class iv hitch, the alternator, and that same fan. Nothing more. If you add the package to the Mojave you are buying the fan twice. I wish option prices adjusted based on final configuration.
Well almost. Selecting the tow package from the factory also gets you cool and VERY useful items like the trailer hitch zoom camera, and there are strong hints based upon what we've seen around here that it also gets you a different set of coil springs with a higher spring rate.

I will always be of the opinion that factory tow package is the first thing any truck buyer should check off on the order sheet.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, despite not being listed on the sticker, the Mojave has the same cooling fan as the Max Tow package. Checked my own versus friend with MT Sport. Same same.

The towing package is the class iv hitch, the alternator, and that same fan. Nothing more. If you add the package to the Mojave you are buying the fan twice. I wish option prices adjusted based on final configuration.
If that is what you choose to believe despite years of discussion here........

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Interesting. And if you buy a Mojave with Aux switches you are buying the larger alternator twice.

So I paid $500 for a receiver hitch that I could have purchased and installed myself for less than $200. Hmm. I don't want stiffer springs and I've backed trailers for decades without a camera.

Oh well. I should have gone with my gut and passed.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Well almost. Selecting the tow package from the factory also gets you cool and VERY useful items like the trailer hitch zoom camera, and there are strong hints based upon what we've seen around here that it also gets you a different set of coil springs with a higher spring rate.

I will always be of the opinion that factory tow package is the first thing any truck buyer should check off on the order sheet.
On a Sport. Sure. The springs are not changed when adding tow package to a Mojave.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
If that is what you choose to believe despite years of discussion here........
Adding tow package to Mojave, what do you believe is added and/or changed? It is a fact the cooling fan is the same and the springs are not changed. Other than alternator, hitch zoom, and the class iv hitch, what do you believe added on this trim? Seriously, there isn't years of discussion in this instance for Mojave.

Sponsored

unsocbl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys Eco-diesel
According to my Mojave sticker, it was $395 and and is the Class IV hitch and Trailer Hitch zoom:
Jeep Gladiator Tow package on a Mojave, is it worth it? sticker

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Adding tow package to Mojave, what do you believe is added and/or changed? It is a fact the cooling fan is the same and the springs are not changed. Other than alternator, hitch zoom, and the class iv hitch, what do you believe added on this trim? Seriously, there isn't years of discussion in this instance for Mojave.
There are a lot of people here who believe that you should always get the factory hitch option if its offered.

I generally agree if it actually makes much of a difference. On my dad's Ridgeline it added a transmission oil cooler, a brake controller, and some additional programming to the stability control called "anti sway" or something like that.

But it appears that in a Mojave Gladiator with Aux Switches or the Cold weather group, all it gets you is a receiver hitch and zoom on the rear view camera. Not worth $500 to me.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
According to my Mojave sticker, it was $395 and and is the Class IV hitch and Trailer Hitch zoom:
sticker.jpg
For 2022, MSRP was upped to $545. My cost at 6% off invoice was $495

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
How much is the oem hitch? How hard is it to install? I drive by a JT regularly at my sons school that has an aftermarket hitch looks terrible as it hangs down much lower than the oem hitch.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
How much is the oem hitch? How hard is it to install? I drive by a JT regularly at my sons school that has an aftermarket hitch looks terrible as it hangs down much lower than the oem hitch.
Less than 300 and cake to install. Wiring harness is already present. All you'd be missing from the tow package is the alternator and trailer hitch zoom. I know it's a big argument on the forum but I believe all the tow package is is bigger fan ( Mojave already has ), the receiver, the alternator, and the hitch zoom

Reactions: Mac

Sponsored

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I found it for $225 on Black Friday.

Also, eTrailer sells a Curt with a 500 lb tongue weight and 5000 lb tow rating for $109.

So if 5000 lbs is enough for you, this will get it done for not much money and it looks exactly like the factory hitch. Very clean and up tight to the bottom of the bumper.

And if you don't know, eTrailer has fantastic customer service.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Jeep/Gladiator/2021/CU74FR.html?VehicleID=20215001631

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Hi all,

I'm very close to placing an order for a Mojave and am going over everything to make sure I don't miss anything.

I tow often and originally intended to get the factory tow kit for $500.

But I started lookin at it and it includes.

larger alternator
receiver hitch
rear camera zoom
"heavy duty cooling".

It doesn't seem worth it to me. I can get a similar hitch for $175.
Because of my options, I'll already have the larger alternator.

So my question is this.

1) can you configure the zoom with Tazer?
2) what is "heavy duty cooling". Is it actually something? Is the radiator or oil cooler larger?
I know what they say. Has anyone ever actually seen a difference?

In all I'm thinking I'll save $300+ and just knock it off in a couple of hours.
You are buying a $40K+ vehicle and you want to save a couple hundred bucks? Time is money. Buy the easy factory options (like heated seats/steering, tow package, 8.4 screen, bed utility - if only for the rear 3 prong outlet) and save your money on things you don't need like leather seats (get seat covers), radar cruise (just pay attention), blind spot monitors (again - just pay attention).

But that is just me and my $0.02.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Saving $200 on a $50k vehicle makes no sense whatsoever ... Go factory ...

And no one has mentioned the most important thing about towing with a Mojave (which is that your rear end will drop way lower than you will like) ... The sand running soft rear springs are great for ride ... And ... Not great for towing ...

You need air bags more than you need other things for towing with Mojave ...

Mine has the towing package and the large fan which is great to have ... The tow hitch is nice from the factory ...

When the large fan kicks in , it really moves a lot of air and the temps drop rapidly ..... A no brainer in my book ...

Count on buying a $100 minimum air bag kit and spending a Saturday installing it ... Its the only (cost effective) way to keep the truck level when towing a modest (3000 #) load ...

As far as the 6000# "capacity" ??? Yeah ... Sure, they mean that the truck wont explode into a pile of molten metal if you tow 6000 .. But, Id never consider it ... I just towed 3200# over the last weekend and that is about as much as Id like to tow ... Can it do it ? Sure ... Is it fun or even a nice experience ? No Way ...

I'm sure someone will chime in with another opinion but Ill tell you ... say maybe 4000# is about as high as id like to go ... I don't like beating up my investment and the way she acts at #4000 is about as much as Id like to subject her to and I live in the (relatively flat) midwest ...

Yes, people do it ... Im not one of them ...

In any event, ya need airbags ...
Totally agree. Airlift 1000. Costs around $100. If you jack the wheels off the ground (use 2 jackstands) and take the spare tire off this install is EASY and you don't have to take the wheels off. Just fold the bag up and slide it between the coils. This simple mod transformed by JTR with Mopar 2inch from a saggy ass bouncing POS to a towmaster (4000LBs...).

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Totally agree. Airlift 1000. Costs around $100. If you jack the wheels off the ground (use 2 jackstands) and take the spare tire off this install is EASY and you don't have to take the wheels off. Just fold the bag up and slide it between the coils. This simple mod transformed by JTR with Mopar 2inch from a saggy ass bouncing POS to a towmaster (4000LBs...).
Thanks. I figured I'd have to do this if I wanted to tow more than my current needs.

The most I tow these days is about 3500#. And even then its just across town. But who knows. We'll be retiring in a few years and a camp trailer may be in our future. .
Sponsored