Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
Mats wont fit right if you dont pull the drian plug in the floor
They fit really bad when the plug and the carpet oval was there, one of the mats wouldn't snap to the post. Once I pulled out the carpet oval and just left the plug in the floor the fit was better and I was able to engage both posts. You can also trim some of the funnel a bit so that it sits a little flatter but has the ability to insert into the hole if your only intent is to drain, not try to trust it to seal the floor. I didn't feel the need to trim it though, once I removed just the little carpet piece I was happy with the fit.
Sponsored

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
Mats wont fit right if you dont pull the drian plug in the floor
the mats fit ok, just a slight hump now, but you only need to do that if you are going off-roading and plan to see some water obstacles., the rest of the time put the plugs in the mats, not the floor.

DVC

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I have, through a combination of reading and spending time under and working on my JT, found the following list of air passage ways for water to get into the Jeep and cause damage.

Stock JT tires are 31.5", and I measured mine being about 30-30.5" under load. This will be important later.

Main air intake: passenger side, at the top just under the hood - above 30"

Differential breather tubes (rear is attached to the truck bed, you can see it just behind and above the passenger rear tire. Front diff breather tube is by the driver side tire. - above 30"
The breather tubes don't look to be vented. They have caps on them, and I read on the JL forum that they are a Gortex material that lets air out but not water in. If so, that's great!

Transfer case breather tube - extends 1" above the top of the transfer case - uknown height.

Grill air intake - just to the right of the passenger side headlight as you are looking at it. Goes to the wheelwell air tube

Wheelwell air intake tube- just under the passenger side fender (not flare!) -

41e6501d-ab1a-47b3-845c-fb3fd21d03a5-jpeg.jpg

I think this is what limits the 30" at 5mph. At first I was reading that faster than 5mph will push water into seals that are not rated to withstand the pressure. Now I think that it is because the tire spinning will throw too much water into this vent. If this is incorrect someone please correct me.

Edit: I actually see now that this doesn't go to the air filter box. It connects to the grill air intake hole.

Resurrecting this old thread rather than creating a new one, as it has a lot of good info in it....

On my JTR, I've located the OE breather tubes for the front and rear axles, as well as the Tcase... but I don't see anything for the 8AT transmission. I've seen some indicate that there's one running up the firewall (as there was in the JKs), but I don't see anything there. Also, I called Hauk to ask about their breather kit, and they said the 8AT transmissions don't have a breather at all - completely sealed.

So the question is, has anyone personally laid eyes on a trans breather for a JL/JT with the 8AT?

Last edited:
OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Resurrecting this old thread rather then creating a new one, as it has a lot of good info in it....

On my JTR, I've located the OE breather tubes for the front and rear axles, as well as the Tcase... but I don't see anything for the 8AT transmission. I've see some indicate that there's one running up the firewall (as there was in the JKs), but I don't see anything. Also, I called Hauk to ask about their breather kit, and they said the 8AT transmissions don't have a breather at all - completely sealed.

So the question is, has anyone personally laid eyes on a trans breather for a JL/JT with the 8AT?
Yes it is at the top of the engine, next to the oil filter and oil reservoir caps.

Sponsored

DVC

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have, through a combination of reading and spending time under and working on my JT, found the following list of air passage ways for water to get into the Jeep and cause damage.

Transfer case breather tube - extends 1" above the top of the transfer case - uknown height.
That T-case breather is tough to get at! It feels like the hose is just press-fit onto a metal fitting coming out of the top... Did you just pull off the hose, and replace it by pressing on a longer 5/16" fuel line hose? If so, does the end cap just pull off the OE hose, and fit onto the new hose?

And is this the same for the rear diff hose?

Hockeypilot44

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangler
30" will flood your cabin with stock tires. My personal limit is the bottom of the truck. 30" is pretty deep if you ask me. Nice to know it can do it but it will ruin the interior.

DVC

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a quick update on the breather project...

I picked up about 20ft of 5/16" fuel line, and some 3/8 vacuum hose connectors from Auto Zone, and extended my breathers. I ran the T case breather back to the rear axle (too much going on with the trans, etc., to run it forward toward the engine bay), and used a T-connector to junction it with the rear diff breather... then ran one fuel line hose from the T-connector back up behind the passenger trail light.

Then I took a short piece of hose left over to extend the front diff breather up higher, and back by the firewall on the driver side.

Pretty easy and inexpensive way to get some extra peace of mind if things get deeper than expected.

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
My son had that happen to his Challenger a few years ago in Norfolk, Va - DOT had closed most ofthe roads in his neighborhood, except for one intersection. He go to the middle of the intersection and no farther. His insurance totaled the car, rather than try to replace the drive drain, engine, all the electronics, the interior, etc...

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Regarding the diff breather tubes, as discussed they have a Gore membrane as opposed to the typical valve, or is it both? The valves would sucked shut when the diffs got cooled, if they got submerged. What about when washing the underside of the Jeep? When you get down and hose off the undebody to get mud off, does water get pushed through the breather tube entrance and into the differential?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Regarding the diff breather tubes, as discussed they have a Gore membrane as opposed to the typical valve, or is it both? The valves would sucked shut when the diffs got cooled, if they got submerged. What about when washing the underside of the Jeep? When you get down and hose off the undebody to get mud off, does water get pushed through the breather tube entrance and into the differential?
I doubt you'll be pushing water right at the vents and force it down that line with any volume unless you try. The design of the vent should also prevent that as the end is covered, you don't get a direct shot at it.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I doubt you'll be pushing water right at the vents and force it down that line with any volume unless you try. The design of the vent should also prevent that as the end is covered, you don't get a direct shot at it.
Yes, hard to do a direct shot. The rear tube end is attached to the bed body facing towards the tailgate, so if you are trying to get mud off that area, which next to the wheelwell as it is, is rather probable in happening, going from behind and with a pressure washer, you are sending water towards the opening if not directly at it. With the pressure, I am wondering if water is getting through what is supposed to be a one-way membrane
Sponsored