Sponsored

scoobycarolanNC

First Name
Scooby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mohave
Edit 4- Two gas tanks came and went after the oil change. MPGs are.... (drum roll).... 16.7. Literally the same as pre-gearing, to the tenth. I think I'm ready to confirm the disappointment that gears, if just from 4.10 to 4.88, will see little to no gas mileage increase. I was hoping for 1 mpg average, but no matter how I drive, it's not in the cards. Results may differ for the 6 speed, but I think the auto is just that good, as far as compensating for the gearing.
what load class tires (c or d) and psi are you running?
Sponsored

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (JTR)
Just switched over to 37" (more like 36.5") BFG KO2s (load range C) and an AEV 2.5" lift last week and had this thread. on my mind. I did not re-gear from the Rubicon 4.10 gears with automatic transmission. Used the ProCal Snap to reprogram the actual tire size and speedo/GPS are dead on. Driving around San Diego freeways and city streets (ie. not much flatland driving - lots of up and down hill) I am so far seeing about 19mpg on the cluster. I have a long trip planned in a couple weeks so we'll see how it goes. I am the annoying driver you all pass that does the speed limit with the auto cruise on when it can be used safely. :CWL:

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Just switched over to 37" (more like 36.5") BFG KO2s (load range C) and an AEV 2.5" lift last week and had this thread. on my mind. I did not re-gear from the Rubicon 4.10 gears with automatic transmission. Used the ProCal Snap to reprogram the actual tire size and speedo/GPS are dead on. Driving around San Diego freeways and city streets (ie. not much flatland driving - lots of up and down hill) I am so far seeing about 19mpg on the cluster. I have a long trip planned in a couple weeks so we'll see how it goes. I am the annoying driver you all pass that does the speed limit with the auto cruise on when it can be used safely. :CWL:
It's not annoying as long you're not in the fast lane lol.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
I drive like that too. Retired and thankfully no longer in a hurry most of the time.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I drive like that too. Retired and thankfully no longer in a hurry most of the time.
I'm retired too. But always in a hurry.

OP
OP

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
just filled up again. 16.7 MPG. I had a long highway road trip and everything. Amazing to see it go from 18+ and trickle down to its happy place.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
just filled up again. 16.7 MPG. I had a long highway road trip and everything. Amazing to see it go from 18+ and trickle down to its happy place.
Strange.. my pre-regear mpg were pretty awful though (6spd) averaged about 14 on 3.73s/37s and nearly 15.6 after. I would've been happy if the mileage stayed the same, the jeep just drives better. My highway mpg is WAY lower than yours, but around town, I am seeing about 17 through multiple tanks. 70-75 on the highway is a mileage killer.

OP
OP

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Strange.. my pre-regear mpg were pretty awful though (6spd) averaged about 14 on 3.73s/37s and nearly 15.6 after. I would've been happy if the mileage stayed the same, the jeep just drives better. My highway mpg is WAY lower than yours, but around town, I am seeing about 17 through multiple tanks. 70-75 on the highway is a mileage killer.
I'm officially in the "should've gone to 5.13s" camp.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
I'm officially in the "should've gone to 5.13s" camp.
Honestly, I'm not sure how big a difference it would be for you.. I know speeds in socal are pretty slow unless you can get out of the traffic, but with the auto, your OD (8th) is deeper than 6th in mine.. before the regear about 90% of my highway driving was in 4th, so being able to use the 2 od gears definitely helped my mileage, and the rpm gain rate in 6th now is definitely better.

At 75 in 6th I'm running about 2600rpm, right where the pentastar really starts waking up.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Honestly, I'm not sure how big a difference it would be for you.. I know speeds in socal are pretty slow unless you can get out of the traffic, but with the auto, your OD (8th) is deeper than 6th in mine.. before the regear about 90% of my highway driving was in 4th, so being able to use the 2 od gears definitely helped my mileage, and the rpm gain rate in 6th now is definitely better.

At 75 in 6th I'm running about 2600rpm, right where the pentastar really starts waking up.
I'm in 8th quite a bit. My commute is 100% city driving, so there's that. 4.88s are fine, I guess, but I'm still very "meh" about the whole thing. I'll be eager to trade for a full electric gladiator when they hit the market. In orange.

JarHeadLV

Banned
Banned
First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mohave, 2020 Porsche 911 Turbo
Occupation
Financial Retirement Planner
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in 8th quite a bit. My commute is 100% city driving, so there's that. 4.88s are fine, I guess, but I'm still very "meh" about the whole thing. I'll be eager to trade for a full electric gladiator when they hit the market. In orange.
Im not understanding how you can do 100% city driving and be in 8th gear alot? - Not being a dick, just doesn't make sense, anyway, kudos for tackling the re gear and posting info.

I have a new Jeep Gladiator Mohave on order....1st Jeep. Had alot of 1 ton trucks over the years, needed to tow a heavy 12K lb boat, but no Jeeps. I LOVE the look of the Gladiator! I've been doing ALOT of reading here on the forums - especially about changing to 35's or 37's and it seems like where you drive / or tow is the deciding factor. But from most of the reading it seems like people who have NOT re geared, their truck "hunts" in between 7th and 8th gear on the freeway. I wonder about 2 things from this (1) does it wear harder on the tranny? (2) does it make the engine work harder if not getting to the final 8th gear on highway?

OP
OP

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Im not understanding how you can do 100% city driving and be in 8th gear alot? - Not being a dick, just doesn't make sense, anyway, kudos for tackling the re gear and posting info.

I have a new Jeep Gladiator Mohave on order....1st Jeep. Had alot of 1 ton trucks over the years, needed to tow a heavy 12K lb boat, but no Jeeps. I LOVE the look of the Gladiator! I've been doing ALOT of reading here on the forums - especially about changing to 35's or 37's and it seems like where you drive / or tow is the deciding factor. But from most of the reading it seems like people who have NOT re geared, their truck "hunts" in between 7th and 8th gear on the freeway. I wonder about 2 things from this (1) does it wear harder on the tranny? (2) does it make the engine work harder if not getting to the final 8th gear on highway?
My commute is about 10 miles or so, and there is enough distance between stoplights to go to 50-60mph. Not for a long time, but I do hit it commonly. When I do, I'm sitting around 2k flat in 8th. As to your questions, the "hunting" isn't something I noticed as much as it just doesn't get to 8th unless you have optimal conditions. The engine isn't really working "harder" so to speak, just at a different RPM.

I picked 4.88s because I felt that I didn't want the engine to be too buzzy on the highway. But, I like to cruise around 70-75mph and I noticed this again this past weekend. I'd prefer to have the gearing for city driving instead, and likely could have lived with having the engine at a higher RPM on the freeway.

Also, after another trip up the mountain, some wheeling, and back down, my tank right now is about 16.4 mpg.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My commute is about 10 miles or so, and there is enough distance between stoplights to go to 50-60mph. Not for a long time, but I do hit it commonly. When I do, I'm sitting around 2k flat in 8th. As to your questions, the "hunting" isn't something I noticed as much as it just doesn't get to 8th unless you have optimal conditions. The engine isn't really working "harder" so to speak, just at a different RPM.

I picked 4.88s because I felt that I didn't want the engine to be too buzzy on the highway. But, I like to cruise around 70-75mph and I noticed this again this past weekend. I'd prefer to have the gearing for city driving instead, and likely could have lived with having the engine at a higher RPM on the freeway.

Also, after another trip up the mountain, some wheeling, and back down, my tank right now is about 16.4 mpg.
You understand the trade offs and balancing act.

I'm stock 33s on a Mojave (4.10 gears). But on the highway it can not maintain 70 mph up hills that I live near. I'm turning about 2050 rpm in 8th

If I put it in manual and hold 7th, I'm turning 2500. Its a bit too fast but more than enough to maintain 70 mph on the highway.

So an ideal set of gears FOR ME would put me around 2300 rpm in 8th at 70.

I just bought some 35s. Some back of the napkin math shows that I'll end up about there in 7th after the wheel change.

(33/35) x 2500 = 2357

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Remember that around town a re-gear does nothing. Re-gearing changes the lowest overall range and the highest overall range. Everywhere in between, the TCU is free to select a gear up or down to meet the need.

So once you are rolling over 10 mph, and the transmission is in 1st through 7th, the axle ratio is irrelevant.
Sponsored