What Kind Of Winch Do You Have/ Prefer

Sespe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
EAG bumper and Badland Apex 12K. The bumper was free so that made the decision easy. I waited until the Apex was on sale. I like that it is all-in-one, with wired / wireless controller and battery cutoff. It is a big winch. I had to trim some of the bull bar to fit the control box (did not want to relocate it). And I need to put some spacers under the light bar to get it pointing back level. The winch also sits right up against the top of the bumper's fog light cutouts, so I have to figure out how to install them, or get a smaller replacement.

Jeep Gladiator What Kind Of Winch Do You Have/ Prefer 20201108_164218
Jeep Gladiator What Kind Of Winch Do You Have/ Prefer 20201108_164211

Barth Vader

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2013 Abarth 500, 2015 Alfa 4C, 2020 JTR
Warn VR EVO 10s sitting on an Artec winch plate inside factory steel rubicon bumper. Synthetic line finished with a Warn hawse fairlead a factor 55 ultrahook.

i went with Warn because Warn has gotten me home before. I picked Artec because the tray was thick and boxed and I like how it mounted. Factor 55 got the nod because it can do it all on one hook and can assure a closed loop system or allow an open hook but with a safety pin when needed.

The Artec site says that their plate doesnā€™t work with the VR series. Did you have any issues with getting yours to fit? I got a VR Evo 12-S from Santa and canā€™t seem to find a plate that is both tough doesnā€™t require some shaving of bits.

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The Artec site says that their plate doesnā€™t work with the VR series. Did you have any issues with getting yours to fit? I got a VR Evo 12-S from Santa and canā€™t seem to find a plate that is both tough doesnā€™t require some shaving of bits.
its a tight fit but i had no issues. Recommend bench mounting the winch to the plate and having a friend help hang it on the frame.

*edit - i went to the website and saw the exclusion. It may be that artec changed the design since i installed mine during first half of 2020. I would call them first. I have had no issues but I dont want to steer you wrong. I dont think this exclusion was present when i installed mine.

Sponsored

Liftr

First Name
Duran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S
Occupation
Aviation
Warn VR 10S. Vary tight fit on the RR HD.

I have the same setup. It is very tight. You canā€™t remove the grill without unbolting the winch, and sliding it forward in the bumper.
Jeep Gladiator What Kind Of Winch Do You Have/ Prefer C4E7E356-0A46-4739-B5FB-2842FFD454C9

scotticus

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT LE
Occupation
Derpston
Warn VR Evo 12s, Warn winch plate, stock steel. Iā€™d probably not get the warn again, I broke the remote cable (itā€™s wireless but has a cable to also operate wired). And they want like $80 to replace the whole cable and remote combo. I just need the wire and they canā€™t seem to figure out how to just sell that. Also they said their battery in the remote isnā€™t rechargeable but itā€™s totally a LiON rechargeable and the cord provides a current to charge. Feels like they donā€™t know their own product.
For as much as I use it Iā€™d probably get the new badlands apex since you can get a new cord at almost any harbor freight!

Sponsored

NEWBWHEELER

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2020 Hydro blue Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Free loader
I'm using the Warn winch plate.
Thanks. Parts are so freaking hard to come by these days and I stumbled across a 12S. I wanted the 10S But I canā€™t get a hold of one. Everything fit fine in the sock bumper?

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Smittybilt X20 Gen 2 - 10K with synthetic line. You can find them just over $600. Wireless controller. Have one on my LandRover and will be transferring it to my JTR. I have used it mostly for pulling delivery vans out of muddy driveways (my neighborhood is still being built) and for pulling cars out of snowy ditches. And hauled one deer up a tree so I could get it on the roof of my rover - but that's because I was hunting alone on the last day of season - everyone else already went home!

Anyway - the Smittybilt X20 Gen 2 comes with everything you need right out of the box and has been flawless after 2 years of Minnesota salt etc.

NEWBWHEELER

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2020 Hydro blue Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Free loader
Smittybilt X20 Gen 2 - 10K with synthetic line. You can find them just over $600. Wireless controller. Have one on my LandRover and will be transferring it to my JTR. I have used it mostly for pulling delivery vans out of muddy driveways (my neighborhood is still being built) and for pulling cars out of snowy ditches. And hauled one deer up a tree so I could get it on the roof of my rover - but that's because I was hunting alone on the last day of season - everyone else already went home!

Anyway - the Smittybilt X20 Gen 2 comes with everything you need right out of the box and has been flawless after 2 years of Minnesota salt etc.
I just checked and itā€™s 35 bucks more than the Warn12 S Iā€™m looking at.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
Thanks. Parts are so freaking hard to come by these days and I stumbled across a 12S. I wanted the 10S But I canā€™t get a hold of one. Everything fit fine in the sock bumper?
I had a Zeon 10s which I pulled and put in the Zeon 12s, both are exactly the same dimensions. No issues at all with stock steel bumper.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
I just checked and itā€™s 35 bucks more than the Warn12 S Iā€™m looking at.
I am having a hard time believing you found a new Warn 12K Lb winch with synthetic line for $600-ish. But if you did then get it! I couldn't afford any of the classic Warn winches and looked at Superwinches but my local Rover shop (owner runs the MN rover club) suggested that Smittybilt's were high quality and good value. I think he was dead right. But again - if you found a good price on a Warn all power to you!

Also - this is the Smittybilt winch I have: https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-98510-Waterproof-Synthetic-Winch/dp/B00K150VAI - $580 on Amazon.
Sponsored