Sponsored

What price shenanigans have you seen dealerships do?

OP
OP
Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
I should also say that my $2K is off of the FWP, which is $2K less than MSRP, so about $4K below MSRP.
At 6% under invoice, my $51K MSRP Willys came out to 45 before tax, tags and title. My local dealer begrudgingly matched one of the ones on this forum. Before I came in with that quote in hand, they were claiming that invoice was literally what they pay for the vehicle and a penny under that was selling at a loss. It's not obviously; there are incentives and sales goals that take a chunk out for them as well. But for them to negotiate down and then try to gain it back with your 2K incentive would be enough for me to refuse to do business with them. I don't know the Texas area, but there's bound to be someone around you that will crush the offer you are currently getting. I'd go look for it. I can certainly get you an email to get a quote in NC if that would be of any negotiating help.
Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I can certainly get you an email to get a quote in NC if that would be of any negotiating help.
This might be your best bet, @Debbiehr - show them you can find a better price somewhere else.

Also ... no shame in just getting it over with if that's what you want to do. We'll be here to badmouth the dealer with you when you get back.

Debbiehr

First Name
Deborah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Business owner
This might be your best bet, @Debbiehr - show them you can find a better price somewhere else.

Also ... no shame in just getting it over with if that's what you want to do. We'll be here to badmouth the dealer with you when you get back.
Thanks everyone. All the Texas dealers are the same, they hold firm since these Gladiators are in very high demand around here. I couldn't find what I wanted locally, so had to order one. I am excited it came in today, just will deal with the rigidity of the system.
No shame in getting it today, either. Thanks so much!!

BBETTS1024

First Name
BRANDON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WRANGLER
Occupation
SALES MANAGER
Don't even get me started on the finance department. I paid in full for my Gladiator and had to sit there with a certified check in hand (already filled out) to listen to all the extended warranty packages they offered even though I said I wanted no part of any of them. I got there a little after noon and it was 8 PM at night before I got to go home for what should have been a simple transaction. Water under the bridge now, but nothing about buying a new vehicle is as easy as it should be. That's probably why Vroom and Carvana and such do such business.
It’s required by law to go over it with every customer as to not discriminate. It’s not Walmart it’s a $40000+ transaction. FYI I’ve worked on the sales end at a dealership for over 15 years and after owning a 15 JK and an 18JL without an extended warranty I made sure I purchased one this time. It’s rare the service techs leave without one as well. Yes there is a profit in it however name one successful business that doesn’t turn a profit.

akrkwk310

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
328i xDrive sport wagon, i3 REx, Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Healthcare
After all the troubles and back and forth with a dealership, i finally got my Mojave. Additional $1000 CA incentive for this month was a mind changer for me.

Msrp was $60620
Selling price was $49515 after these incentives $2000 ca resident, $1000 national, $500 penfed( luckily applicable for mojave
But not for rubicon)

catchy part
$575 key insurance offered by dealership
Dealer arranged financing 4.7% yikes lol. Will refinance as soon as it hits 7 months

out the door was $53,700 including CA tax, doc fee etc

Sponsored

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
My first ever new car purchase was my 2018 JL from @spenchey in Spirit Lake. I paid cash and there were no financial department shenanigans, just showed up and signed the required papers.

A few months later we bought a new Cherokee for my wife which involved test driving several vehicles at a local dealer. Because I appreciated having access to the test drive vehicles, I purchased it from that dealer, also a cash purchase. This became my first in person experience with financial department shenanigans. Not only did I refuse to purchase any of the additional dealer add-ons, I also refused to sign any of the documents saying I refused to buy a specific dealer add-on, causing some consternation to the financial sales person. There is no benefit to me to sign something I don't have to sign.

A year and a half later, I was considering purchasing a Gladiator and my almost perfect configuration showed up on that local dealers lot - Max Tow Gator Sport. After two visits (I walked out on the first one), we agreed to the deal which was also a cash purchase. But instead of running me through their financial department, they walked me over to the used car financial department where there were no shenanigans, just sign the papers and you're done. I was confused on why they sent me over to the used car financing until I remember the combative nature of my previous interaction with their new car financing. I'm convinced the sales team did it to avoid a repeat of the previous financial department confrontation.

And on my 2018 JL, it was at an out of town dealer (not Spirit Lake) that had two identically equipped, but different colored Wranglers. The day after I contacted them, they raised the price on the one I was looking at, the price didn't change on the other one.

Last edited:

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
After all the troubles and back and forth with a dealership, i finally got my Mojave. Additional $1000 CA incentive for this month was a mind changer for me.

Msrp was $60620
Selling price was $49515 after these incentives $2000 ca resident, $1000 national, $500 penfed( luckily applicable for mojave
But not for rubicon)

catchy part
$575 key insurance offered by dealership
Dealer arranged financing 4.7% yikes lol. Will refinance as soon as it hits 7 months

out the door was $53,700 including CA tax, doc fee etc
Was this ordered or off the lot? Was it Tuttle Click? Rob seems to be the only one with any discount in SoCal. If you got that deal at another dealer I'd be very interested.
I did get an offer from Hemet on a very well equipped Rubicon for $46,900 but it was Sting Grey. Had put in the search for Silver.
Congrats on what I would consider a great deal in this area. Wish I had your luck. I'm still shopping...

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
I’ve never ordered a vehicle before now but have bought plenty of new and used cars off the lot. So far my experience with Turtle Click has been straight forward. Just in a waiting phase now.

Going back to the topic at hand, here’s a few things I’ve experienced:

1. holding your keys after you’ve decided and said no deal. Must be some sort of tactic to see if you change your mind.
2. “I don’t have anything left if this vehicle” this statement usually includes their internal Must Make Profit.
3. trade in game. Why is it that when you are ready to leave, they come up with a higher trade in value? This seems to be happening less with the coming of carnirvana, carmax ,internet and the like.
4. changing the deal after you’ve said yes. They liked to do this with finance rates. I,ve asked to see my credit that they run because I’ve always have had great credit.
5. nothing to do with negotiation, but WHY do they need so much credit info if I’m paying cash???
6. Sales tactic: I’ m Filipino. One dealer actually changed sales people on me. Gues what nationality he was. Seemed weird.

all this being said, I also understand that dealerships are a business. They best way to earn my business is being straight forward and having a good reputaion. For used vehicles, I actually enjoyed Carmax. Sticker is the price, no negotiation.

just my .02.

A2

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
I’ve never ordered a vehicle before now but have bought plenty of new and used cars off the lot. So far my experience with Turtle Click has been straight forward. Just in a waiting phase now.

Going back to the topic at hand, here’s a few things I’ve experienced:
5. nothing to do with negotiation, but WHY do they need so much credit info if I’m paying cash???

A2
I paid cash for my Gladiator. Only info I gave them was my name, address, and social security # (only because it is required on the form to title/register the truck in my state).

Thanks to COVID, I was in and out of the dealership in 19 minutes when I bought it. That is no exaggeration. I actually timed it.

akrkwk310

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
Was this ordered or off the lot? Was it Tuttle Click? Rob seems to be the only one with any discount in SoCal. If you got that deal at another dealer I'd be very interested.
I did get an offer from Hemet on a very well equipped Rubicon for $46,900 but it was Sting Grey. Had put in the search for Silver.
Congrats on what I would consider a great deal in this area. Wish I had your luck. I'm still shopping...
This deal is impossible in ca
Got it from utah. I actually got the car for 49015 instead 49515with additional penfed incentives

Sponsored

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
Yeah, if it was Salt Lake Valley I had tried dealing with them too. They had some of the dealer add ons that I feel are shady. When I air down and back up nitrogen is not a choice I have so $400 from a dealer for it just ain’t happening.
Congrats again.

akrkwk310

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
Yeah, if it was Salt Lake Valley I had tried dealing with them too. They had some of the dealer add ons that I feel are shady. When I air down and back up nitrogen is not a choice I have so $400 from a dealer for it just ain’t happening.
Congrats again.
yup I hate those dealer installed extra stuff.
but considering that i didnt have to ship this car if i were to get it from east coast dealer and extra $1000 ca and $500 penfed incentive i was able to get. I decided id get it. Plus dealer installed extra stuff was the lost key program so i thought it could be useful instead of some Lojack or other bs accessories they install to charge

$53700 OTD for the car which has msrp of $60600 i think i did ok.

im sooo opposed of bringing these greedy socal dealers a business so…=

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
Plus dealer installed extra stuff was the lost key program......
What's the story with the "lost key program"....is this actually for replacing a lost fob?

akrkwk310

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
What's the story with the "lost key program"....is this actually for replacing a lost fob?
Yea if i ever lose a key, they will replace it and program up to twice during 3 years of term

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
Yea if i ever lose a key, they will replace it and program up to twice during 3 years of term
Hmmm. Not sure I would ever buy into this....been carrying fobs for years--on motorcycles, too--havent lost one yet.
Sponsored