Sponsored

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold), 2020 F150 Powerstroke
Bumper is coming this week. Iā€™ve never had a winch and will probably rarely use it. Iā€™m looking at the Rough Country 9500 with synthetic line for $399, the Badlands Apex for $480, or the Smittybilt 9.5 or 10k . In reality, just wondering if the Apex is with the extra $100. It does seem to have a nicer hook; not sure thatā€™s worth $100.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I was wondering what size and brand winch folks are getting for the JT. I got a Warn Zeon 10K Others?
8000 Lb come-along. Poor man's winch.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Bumper is coming this week. Iā€™ve never had a winch and will probably rarely use it. Iā€™m looking at the Rough Country 9500 with synthetic line for $399, the Badlands Apex for $480, or the Smittybilt 9.5 or 10k . In reality, just wondering if the Apex is with the extra $100. It does seem to have a nicer hook; not sure thatā€™s worth $100.
The Apex is a 12000lb winch with synthetic line. The extra 2000-2500lbs worth of pulling is worth $100

Sponsored

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
I have a warn VR8 sitting in my garage that is pretty much new. I took it off a 4runner I traded in.
I had planned to keep it if I have any need for it. Is there any reason to hold onto it for my gladiator since It is new and I have it in my posession? If not, I can just try to sell it and maybe get some kind of other parts. My gladiator is all stock for now.

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I have read through this thread and there is a lot of good information about more technical aspects of winching. I appreciate everyone sharing, and I have a small contribution as well, I am more of a visual kinda guy and hope this helps someone out as well.

Attachments

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I have a warn VR8 sitting in my garage that is pretty much new. I took it off a 4runner I traded in.
I had planned to keep it if I have any need for it. Is there any reason to hold onto it for my gladiator since It is new and I have it in my posession? If not, I can just try to sell it and maybe get some kind of other parts. My gladiator is all stock for now.
8k is a bit light for a Gladiator but you could run it with a snatch block - definitely better than nothing. Iā€™m running a Warn Zeon 10s and it seems pretty good and fast.

OshnDoc

First Name
Arne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Oceanographer
How does that work? The rating of the winch is based on things like the drum size, cooling, power intake, etc. From page 16 of the SB manual

With 85ft of line on the drum the winch pulls 6300lbs. With 40ft of line on the drum it pulls 8850lbs. That is about half the line on the drum remaining (equivalent to a snatch block letting out twice as much line) yet pull only went up 40%. What am I failing to understand?
Simple physics of a pulley system.

Jeep Gladiator What winch? 1601655806031

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Like a lever as well. You can double force but something has to give - so you halve the distance moved.
It's work, and work is something like multiplying the force by the amount of movement.
Hydraulics, levers, pulleys, whatever.
If you want to lift more weight with a hydraulic cylinder, you can double the square inches of the piston, lift twice as much weight, but it will move half as far.
So you have done the SAME amount of work even though you moved it half as far because you moved twice as much.
You need to move 100 pounds, you have only 50 pounds of force. Using pulleys you can double your force - so you can still do it but will cut the distance in half in the process.

I think work usually involves Newtons and meters - Newtons for the force, Meters for the distance.

Work = F x D where F is force and D is distance.

Sponsored

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m currently looking at a Smittybilt X2O COMP - Waterproof Synthetic Rope Winch - 12,000

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
Just installed a Warn zeon 10s.
Bought it used, but like new condition (2uts old) With a factor 55 pro link. I paid $1k. Thatā€™s about a $700 savings.

Iā€™m a warn guy. I believe they are a bit higher quality and less prone to failure over just about anything else.