Sponsored

What's a mod that you wouldn't do again?

AverageOverlander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
I've got my truck pretty much where I want it for my required mods, lift/shocks/disco sway bars, winch, tires, compressor, recovery gear etc... It'll do as my name suggests, average overloading. Rock sliders and skid plates would still be on my wish list, but haven't been a necessity so far.

There's unlimited amounts of mods we can make and enjoy according to our different needs... but my question is, what are mods that you thought would be great that you'd be hesitant to do again?
Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
My Wheels. I love the way they look, and i REALLY love/loved the price, but one of the main reasons i bought them was because the shipping weight was listed as 30lbs, meaning the wheels should have been 26-28lbs each. Is that too light for 17x9 steel wheels and should i have known better? That's certainly a reasonable position to take. But i thought i'd found the holy grail.

As soon as i got the fedex tracking number and it listed 5 packages at 40.4lbs each i knew i was in for a bad time. Packages showed up and i pulled the wheels out and weighed them. 37lbs... Well fuck. I made 3 or 4 phone calls to Quadratec and about a half dozen emails asking them to correct the listing so no one else got duped like i did, but to no avail. I asked questions on their website and left reviews stating they lied, but for almost a year my questions and reviews got removed with no action. After about a year they finally corrected the listing before removing my review.

For what it's worth, TACTIK is a quadratec brand, so they can't even claim they got bad information from "the supplier".

And in case anyone is wondering, YES @Quadratec absolutely deletes bad reviews from their website. Scumbags.

OP
OP
AverageOverlander

AverageOverlander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Interesting info, thanks for the heads up.

Funny you mention wheels, it’s something I wasn’t planning on changing anytime soon, if ever… they use to be a massive looks upgrade in the 90’s and early 2000’s, but I find now that I often prefer stock over aftermarket options. Then can’t say I need beedlocks at this point either

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Factory aux switch panel…

because 4 is nowhere near enough, and I ended up adding an 8 switch dash pod 😅

But in all seriousness, I found 4 more things to wire up 🤦🏻‍♂️

The real answer: 4 tire air up/down system (I think that’s the brand name). It’s a great idea, but failed horribly for me. Airing down was slow and unequal. Airing up was even slower and no where near equal. Get a set of Staun deflators and an extension hose for your compressor and call it a day.

OP
OP
AverageOverlander

AverageOverlander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Factory aux switch panel…

because 4 is nowhere near enough, and I ended up adding an 8 switch dash pod 😅

But in all seriousness, I found 4 more things to wire up 🤦🏻‍♂️

The real answer: 4 tire air up/down system (I think that’s the brand name). It’s a great idea, but failed horribly for me. Airing down was slow and unequal. Airing up was even slower and no where near equal. Get a set of Staun deflators and an extension hose for your compressor and call it a day.
I have the aux panel, and currently have 4 switches available lol.

Plumbing in a permanent air up/down system is another one of my fun projects that I think I might do someday. I guess that would be one switch used. What are you using all yours for?

Sponsored

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I have the aux panel, and currently have 4 switches available lol.

Plumbing in a permanent air up/down system is another one of my fun projects that I think I might do someday. I guess that would be one switch used. What are you using all yours for?
8 switch pod now runs: Front light bar, front pods (white), front fogs, rear fogs/chase, rear pods/backup (white), front e-locker, winch power isolator, air compressor.

Factory aux: Toggle for Diode Dynamics headlights off-road function, GMRS radio, and my latest addition - one switch to turn on/power blind spot cameras/monitors and one switch to flip them to rear view.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
The, “Performance Wipers.”
They’re really slick, and do a great job of cleaning the windshield, but the hose system implementation is terrible, and doesn’t hold up. And I have yet to try and find replacement blades, but I’ve little hope there.
I still have to try the hose-through-the-cowl, but I may just abandon the whole system.

Kevin

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
The Poision Spider front exhaust loop skid, my fault should have down loaded instructions before ordering, works great but you have to remove the transfer case skid support bar to fit it in. I am planning on a full belly skid sometime in future then it will fit, second regret was Rough Country contoured steps, worked fine for wife and kids to get in but hang too low for even mild off-reading, replaced with Mopar performance steps that still work as steps but actually look like a pretty good rock sliders and the stones from my tires don’t hit them at all.
This forum has helped a lot with info on mods and such, like the performance wipers above I thought wow that is great but guys here said not so great, others have called out poor powder coating on bumpers that rust, suspension system problems , rear sway bar brace need. All in all pretty happy with my modded sleeper Mojave….Jack

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Cheaping out on Amazon special ditch lights. Long story short, great deal on fantastically bright lights that look good and perform good. Down side, the LED emits so much interference my HAM radio gets knocked out when they’re on.

I replaced them with the ones I was going to purchase at 3x the cost andhave had zero issues.

OP
OP
AverageOverlander

AverageOverlander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Cheaping out on Amazon special ditch lights. Long story short, great deal on fantastically bright lights that look good and perform good. Down side, the LED emits so much interference my HAM radio gets knocked out when they’re on.

I replaced them with the ones I was going to purchase at 3x the cost andhave had zero issues.
Thanks for the info, actually good to know. And that one made me laugh. “Got some sick lights off Amazon, only downside is they knock out my radio when I turn them on. “😂

Sponsored

Puch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Electronics technician
I've got my truck pretty much where I want it for my required mods, lift/shocks/disco sway bars, winch, tires, compressor, recovery gear etc... It'll do as my name suggests, average overloading. Rock sliders and skid plates would still be on my wish list, but haven't been a necessity so far.

There's unlimited amounts of mods we can make and enjoy according to our different needs... but my question is, what are mods that you thought would be great that you'd be hesitant to do again?
Too many to list….
Wheels
Bumper
Switch boxes
Spacer lift with shock extension
…to name a few.
I guess the most expensive regret is full belly aluminum skids for $2000+. The oil skid broke twice. I ended up replacing it with steel.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I've said it on here before and I'll say it again. If you haven't purchased the same part twice because you thought you could get away with the cheaper option only to have to purchase the more expensive one later anyway, can you really call yourself a real jeeper?

Everyone learns "buy once, cry once" at some point. It's like a right of passage where you transform from Jeep Boy into Jeep Man.

OP
OP
AverageOverlander

AverageOverlander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Falcon shocks...biggest waste of $2000 ever spent
How come?

When I was test driving, there was one with aftermarket RC shocks, the salesman asked me what I thought, I was turning and not fully paying attention to him or the conversation, and just kind of muttered, "Yeah this one isn't worth the effort, I'd rather just stick stock because I'll be replacing the tires and suspension anyway." He was shocked and explained that this one had aftermarket wheels/shocks already. I felt a bit bad and didn't want to insult their custom build... but with those cheap shocks and cheap MT's, I'd sooner have bought a shopping cart.

Too many to list….
Wheels
Bumper
Switch boxes
Spacer lift with shock extension
…to name a few.
I guess the most expensive regret is full belly aluminum skids for $2000+. The oil skid broke twice. I ended up replacing it with steel.
I just watched a video on a guy being very disappointed with the aluminum skids.
What was the issue with your bumper?

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Warn 101335 Elite full width bumper. It claims to clear 37’s with a 2” lift. I have a 3” lift in front. It clears fine, until you disconnect the sway bar and go off road. Now I’m cutting the hell out of it to redesign it.
Sponsored