Sponsored

Why does JT have poor throttle response?

rconkin

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Chemical Operator
Anyone out there try these guys? I almost bought for my Ram 1500 with the 5.7 before I unloaded it but never did. Seem to be just like the others that tap in at the pedal, but with positive results based on the reviews I've seen.

https://www.ultimate9.co/#tab-year
My SIL has one on her Gladiator. My brother says it made a good difference. I almost bought one but still trying to decide.
Sponsored

Sweetums

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 LJR, '21 JTDR, '00 VFR800, RSV4, '11 MTS 1200
I probably should clarify what I mean by throttle response.
Its not mash it down and see how long it takes to light up the tires.
Its response to on off on changes. The manual transmission highlites
the poor response. The engine takes a moment to drop revs when
shifting or with ESS off its hard to precisely control the spin.

The banks device alters the pedal signal although its sophistated.
I wonder if one of the diag tools would show the throttle servo signal
and response.
I believe the computer holding higher RPM for a moment after lifting off is an emissions function to prevent unburned fuel being dumped into the exhaust. It's a common complaint of all modern cars by enthusiasts.

It's one of the reasons I like the LJ's old cable-operated throttle.

LouisvEarlleJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Willys Earl
As someone who came to the JT from a mid 90's full-size truck, 8600 GVWR, 210 hp and 4.10 gears. . . .I think the throttle response is fantastic.

All about perspective I guess

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
As someone who came to the JT from a mid 90's full-size truck, 8600 GVWR, 210 hp and 4.10 gears. . . .I think the throttle response is fantastic.

I feel similar, and my other driver is '15 SS Camaro - so it has the power.

I generally find my Sport (Max Tow w/ 4.10s and stock Rubi tires) to run really well for the marginal amount of power it has. I kind of like the docile way of how it operates. If I need it to run I just give it the beans and it gets up and goes fine. Maybe I'm getting old :LOL:

OP
OP

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer

To clarify Im speaking of the MT where throttle response during shifting is very annoying.

Sponsored

SpeedNeed

First Name
Speed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon, S4, Panamera
For those with an automatic and a 4-Auto setting, try this:

When on pavement in “4-Auto” the pedal response and acceleration seem to be quite a bit faster than when in 2WD.

This is just a “seat-of-the-pants“ judgement by yours truly, so big grain of salt, but I have spent some good gas money trying it out over and over. It doesn’t seem to be a traction thing, It feels to me like the throttle mapping is significantly different or something.

I started testing this after a a brief comment in a YouTube video:
”4H Auto vs 4H Part Time Jeep Wrangler 4x4” by Brandon Haneline.

This could be well known, it could all be in my head, beats me. Anybody have a view?

dajudge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2001Cherokee XJ
Occupation
Network/Server Admin
My issue has nothing to do with the power, it has everything to do with how slow it responds when you try to accelerate from a stop. I don't mean going slow, I mean it doesn't do anything. You start pushing the pedal and by the time it does finally recognize that I pushed the pedal down I have it too far down and it jumps. Basically it is impossible to take off smoothly. It is really annoying.
I think the computer must forget it supposed to be monitoring the gas pedal. "wait, there's a signal coming in, what do I do about it?"

Last edited:

exfil offroad

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator-Willys /18 Wrangler JLU-Rubicon
Whats the actual reason the 3.6 JT has poor throttle response?
Slow throttle servo motor response ? ECU signal or processing speed?

When ESS is off the response is just too slow to manage well.
The pedal signal modifiers seem more of a work around.
I think its the gearing well at least on anything lower than the Rubicon. I re geared and the thing jumps off the line

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My issue has nothing to do with the power, it has everything to do with how slow it responds when you try to accelerate from a stop. I don't mean going slow, I mean it doesn't do anything. You start pushing the pedal and by the time it does finally recognize that I pushed the pedal down I have it too far down and it jumps. Basically it is impossible to take off smoothly. It is really annoying.
I think the computer must forget it supposed to be monitoring the gas pedal. "wait, there's a signal coming in, what do I do about it?"
Then yours is operating weird. Mine goes - with the exception of traction control when you wish there wasn't any. I can take off very smoothly.
It is trying to control torque if you want a jackrabbit start, may not always happen. You don't get that with the 4xe in 4H auto. It gives you all the torque you want because it knows you can't spin just the rear wheels and slide sideways (which I have done in my JT - the rear end will swing out badly if I nail it on less than perfect traction)
If you ramp into the pedal, it takes off smoothly and quickly. But it will prevent - or TRY to, wheel spin and loss of traction.
Try it in 4H auto if you have that option in your Rubicon I've not tested to see how much difference there is.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
When on pavement in “4-Auto” the pedal response and acceleration seem to be quite a bit faster than when in 2WD.
That's VERY noticeable with the 4xe, I'd bet it's similar with the JT and 3.6 as well. In that case, it's traction control/stability control trying to prevent wheel spin and the rear end swinging out.

Sponsored

dajudge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network/Server Admin
Then yours is operating weird. Mine goes - with the exception of traction control when you wish there wasn't any. I can take off very smoothly.
It is trying to control torque if you want a jackrabbit start, may not always happen. You don't get that with the 4xe in 4H auto. It gives you all the torque you want because it knows you can't spin just the rear wheels and slide sideways (which I have done in my JT - the rear end will swing out badly if I nail it on less than perfect traction)
If you ramp into the pedal, it takes off smoothly and quickly. But it will prevent - or TRY to, wheel spin and loss of traction.
Try it in 4H auto if you have that option in your Rubicon I've not tested to see how much difference there is.
Thanks! I was wondering if that was different from everyone else's issue. I will see if the dealership can fix it.

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
The reason for the slow throttle response probably has more to do with the traditional uses of a Jeep. No one wants herky-jerky over rough terrain. For that reason I know Land Rover designed the throttle linkage to be slow reacting so when hitting a bump caused your foot to bump the throttle pedal the vehicle would react less. I suspect Jeep is the same.
Very plausible.

For the same reason you might employ two pedal driving in an automatic - to smoothly dole out the torque to maintain control as you surmount the crux of an obstacle. That gradual throttle response is likewise useful backing up over uneven surfaces or navigating a trailer in a tight spot. and in inclement weather.

Since at least I can't manipulate the gas pedal with micrometer precision, I'd rather have the pedal on the slow side more often than not. For the intended purpose of the truck this is appropriate.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Off Road+ makes it awesome! Too bad you can't turn that mapping on full time.

Badunit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 1997 TJ
I saw this thread for the first time today. I wish I'd seen it a few months ago. Mine acts exactly the same way most of the time. It is inconsistent. Sometimes I wonder if it is missing or stalling because there is little response, other times it jack rabbits right as I touch it.

Did they fix yours? What was it?

dajudge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network/Server Admin
I saw this thread for the first time today. I wish I'd seen it a few months ago. Mine acts exactly the same way most of the time. It is inconsistent. Sometimes I wonder if it is missing or stalling because there is little response, other times it jack rabbits right as I touch it.

Did they fix yours? What was it?
They made and a programing change. What a difference, no complaints now.
Sponsored