Sponsored

Why not buy a full size truck for the same price?

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Part of it is the market. Those who don't like the "features" are VERY vocal about it, shaming those of us who do like those features.
Get into the OTHER Jeep models - Grand Cherokee, Compass, etc. - and they are included.
But as the other companies add that stuff and make it standard (Ford - it's hard to buy a Ford anything without all the bells and whistles) Jeep will have to make some changes.
Your first point is exactly right; there is a large segment of Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator buyers who want bare bones. The simpler, then better = less things to break.

As to your second part, I don't think Jeep will ever change their pricing/packaging model due to your first part. They may add more creature comforts, but they will always be options (IMHO). VW does the same thing; check out their build and price pages: low base prices to get people in the door, but once optioned with "must-haves" for that buyer and they get pricey quick.
Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I didn't even realize when I bought my truck that it didn't come with all the new safety equipment.
<snip>
I think I'll trade it in next year for a 2022.
Who buys a $40K-$65K vehicle and does not find out beforehand what is included and what are options?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Why ask why?

A 4-wheeled automobile/truck costs what it costs and sells for what the market will bear.

Why do people buy tiny roller skate cars? Well, we know why...

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I have owned many Rams and liked them all, but my first Jeep had to be a Gladiator. The utilitarian look is what sold me on one. Always wanted an H1, but the JT is a fabulous all around vehicle and serves all my needs and wants and of course is a blank canvas to modify

IMG_3078.JPG

Snzzbry_Ovrlnd

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Army
Vehicle Showcase
Who buys a $40K-$65K vehicle and does not find out beforehand what is included and what are options?
I guess I was star struck by the 70 lines of things on the standard and optional equipment. To be honest, I was unsure of what some of it meant. Don't get me wrong, I do love my JTO. I just wish I had been given the option to add something to the list before they completed the build.

You see, when I bought it, it was at another dealership. Well, we thought it was. In reality, it was at the factory but the system showed it at the dealership. Had we known it was still being built, I would have had other stuff added. Maybe then I would have realized I didn't have the Safety Package.

Sponsored

Snzzbry_Ovrlnd

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Army
Vehicle Showcase
then the new base price is the new equipped price. Making features mandatory doesnt make the new price the lower price, it makes it the higher price.

toyota plays the game in reverse, and you may find more value there. All the things you want are standard on the toyota now, at the cost of a cheap weak engine, an antiquated transmission, a weak c channel frame, drum rear brakes, and horrible infotainment. And they let truck models age 10-15years. But they know to a certain market, safety sells, so theyll make that standard instead.

the “trade offs” rule is always in effect. Jeep likes the prices high because its been proven that people attach increased value to things that are more expensive. If you negotiate down you feel good about the brand because you “got a great deal” And of course you had all the latest tech and the premium features you wanted built exactly the way you wanted. And theres a ton of wiggle room. I still got 12% off sticker for a Mojave, and my woman’s GC limited i think we got around 30% off sticker. At toyota, the price is the price.
I guess my point was the added features at the same price. Just including safety features in all models.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Those who don't like the "features" are VERY vocal about it, shaming those of us who do like those features
By definition, you're hearing only the vocal ones, and you won't hear non-vocals who don't like the features but have no problem with feature-wanters wanting their features, because they are, well, not vocal.

I like having choices. Pay for what options you want. Except when it comes to the toothpaste aisle at the supermarket or the drive-through menu at KFC or Dunkin Donuts - OMG way too many choices! But I suspect that's more of a marketing thing ;)

Gobi-Wan Kenobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
I guess my point was the added features at the same price. Just including safety features in all models.
But some people do not want those options and would not buy the truck at the new higher price if they were included.
Part of it is the market. Those who don't like the "features" are VERY vocal about it, shaming those of us who do like those features.
Get into the OTHER Jeep models - Grand Cherokee, Compass, etc. - and they are included.
My wife had a list of must-haves when we traded her 2018 Grand Cherokee for a 2021 - we presented the list to find all but one was standard and the full-sized spare came with the towing package, so I had them add that, but all of the stuff like lane departure, ACC, park assist (unlike the JT, the Grand Cherokee will park itself - and is thousands LESS)
So the GC comes loaded as it sits, costs less, maintains its trade-in value and get this - has a 6200 pound tow rating while my Overland JT - a TRUCK - has a 6,000 pound tow rating. Yeah, we could tow more with my wife's cheaper Grand Cherokee, have all of the features as standard equipment, same engine, etc. - but you can't haul a load of plywood or sheetrock or bags of concrete in the back of the Grand Cherokee as easily.

People who buy the Grand Cherokee EXPECT the safety features, and those things are nearly indestructible, they handle crashes extremely well - while the truck buyers aren't as interested in such things especially in the Sport or Rubicon versions.
But as the other companies add that stuff and make it standard (Ford - it's hard to buy a Ford anything without all the bells and whistles) Jeep will have to make some changes.
The automotive world is very fluid and always has been.
There are lots of us that don't want the options but don't care if you get them. We just like to have the choice to pay less and not have the things we don't want. Jeeps are all about customization. I'll take my stripped down Gladiator with only utilitarian options and someone else can have one with a bunch of safety stuff, and another person can get leather and heated seats and a big touch screen. Not making everything standard allows all of us to get everything we want and nothing we don't want.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
But some people do not want those options and would not buy the truck at the new higher price if they were included.

There are lots of us that don't want the options but don't care if you get them. We just like to have the choice to pay less and not have the things we don't want. Jeeps are all about customization. I'll take my stripped down Gladiator with only utilitarian options and someone else can have one with a bunch of safety stuff, and another person can get leather and heated seats and a big touch screen. Not making everything standard allows all of us to get everything we want and nothing we don't want.
Yes.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I just wish I had been given the option to add something to the list before they completed the build.
I don't think it works that way. I thought of something else I wanted after I had ordered. This was only a couple weeks after I ordered, and months before my JT was built (covid shutdown). But it had already been "scheduled for production", so I could not add even just one little item.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think it works that way. I thought of something else I wanted after I had ordered. This was only a couple weeks after I ordered, and months before my JT was built (covid shutdown). But it had already been "scheduled for production", so I could not add even just one little item.
There are likely some "it depends" involved, but yea, you can change the vehicle after the VIN is assigned, a build date assigned and before it enters production.
If you are told "it can't be done" - it's likely a dealer thing.
We ordered my wife's 2021 Grand Cherokee - and figured we had everything included.
A few days later we started talking about our past Jeeps and talking tires, etc. and I mentioned that it was sure nice to have that full sized spare and matching wheel when we had a screw go through a tire about an inch from the edge of the tread - hmmm, I checked and I didn't have that on the list but ASSUMED (incorrectly) that since our past GCs had the full-size spare, this one would, too.
Well, the reason our others had it was because they had the tow package. We left that off this one. I looked at the build your jeep site again and sure enough - tow package includes the full-sized spare and that was the only way to get it.
Crap - the VIN was assigned....... we were told the build was to take place at xx time.
I also had found that the GC had a BETTER tow number than the JT Overland so figured maybe the tow package would be a "should have this" thing.
I contacted the dealer, he said he'd have to check with is regional rep, get permission and see if it could be done. A couple of days later got an email "it's added".
Maybe our date wasn't set in stone, maybe there were some other "if's" or "maybe's" in there, I don't know, but we got a tow package added to a vehicle that wasn't yet build, but had a vin assigned, etc.
I know they can add sales codes to existing vehicles, such as if you add the passive entry like I did - you can get that sales code added to your VIN and the dealer then grabs that and flashes your system so that it actually shows up in your vehicle and in the future if an update is done, you don't lose the passive entry setting.

Did you not see this part of my post? ->
People who buy the Grand Cherokee EXPECT the safety features, and those things are nearly indestructible, they handle crashes extremely well - while the truck buyers aren't as interested in such things especially in the Sport or Rubicon versions.

Tacobuster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2020 LT1 Camaro
My brother-in-laws stupid, lame, base f150 is twice the truck and half the price of my gladiator. But no doors and no top trump all other things.
EDIT:
Wow, I just posted in a million year old thread. What do I win?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My brother-in-laws stupid, lame, base f150 is twice the truck and half the price of my gladiator. But no doors and no top trump all other things.
EDIT:
Wow, I just posted in a million year old thread. What do I win?
Nothing - the thread was started in 1863 but there was over a page of recent and current posts.
Sort of like "What did you do to your Gladiator today" or "what did you do WITH your Gladiator today" threads - both started in the 1800s, originally over the telegraph wires.

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
I am still trying to figure this out. I am on my 5th Wrangler and I get the fun of top off and doors off and wheeling. I live in Colorado, one of the best off road places around! My last truck was a JLU Rubicon. I was very interested in the JT, particularly when I heard about the towing capacity. But as I do my price shopping I have hit the wall. Basing pricing assumptions on the JL gets us pretty close to guess what this truck will sell for. Optioned well it just isn't gonna be less than 50k, and probably several thousand more. A Sahara optioned well is north of $52,000.

And yet, the new redesigned half ton full size trucks with much more capability from the big three are all about the same price, or even cheaper, including the off road equipped with factory 2" suspension lift trucks like the 2019 Silverado which I just "build and priced" at around $56k MSRP. I am not thrilled about a full size truck as a daily driver, its hard to park, costly to insure, poor visibility etc. But after looking around I am fast losing interest in the JT. Maybe I will buy a used JL for the DD and the full size truck for towing. much as I hated the idea of buying two new vehicles. (I have an '01 Silverado 2500HD with the 8.1L (yes, 8.1!) that gets around 7 mpg towing a 5000 lb trailer).

Help me out boys and girls, I just don't get Jeep's justifying the pricing of these. They are mid-sized trucks priced like full size in my view.
All of the big 3 are just blah, double blah! I'm a Nissan guy true and true(90 hardbody, 93 hardbody, 95 hardbody, pathfinder x2, xtera x2, titan, 300zx na, 300zx TT). My Titan with 11" lift and 37" is bad ass(gen 1). I;ve eyeballed hummer for years, almost bought H2, H3T.. I just hate most GM products..
Gladiator is everything the H3T was not, I saw the AEV brute and almost pulled the trigger but wow $$$$$...
Very Happy with the Gladiator, I'm only 27 days into Jeep ownership.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Funny thing - if not for AMC, Jeep, and thus AM General, likely would not exist today.

Kaiser bought up Studebaker's General Products Division in Indiana.
1970 - AMC purchased Jeep from Kaiser - and got their Jeep General Products division in the process.
AM General was started by American Motors when they spun off their Jeep General Products division to form AM General.
In 1983 AMC was forced to divest itself of AM General after Engulf&Devour, or was it rape and pillage - ok - sorry, I mean Renault, took over a controlling interest of AMC. Government regs said nope, you have foreign blood now, can't do that and supply the military.

Think about it - if not for Renault's bloody take-over, when Chrysler took over AMC/Eagle/Jeep, they'd have gotten AM General and Hummers could be a Chrysler product.
Sponsored