Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What exactly does the solenoid do? Just makes it so the engine has to be on?
The solenoid is an electric switch. There's a coil in it that when energized by a small switch inside, it pulls a bar or disk down to make contact with the terminals inside to complete the circuit.
It's a big heavy-duty electric switch.
The only reason MY engine must be running is because I used the Jeep factory "aux switches" to power the solenoid.
They can be configured to run either any time, or when the ignition is on.
I programmed #3 on mine to operate only with the ignition on. So engine running, I turn #3 aux switch on, it energizes the solenoid under the hood and that give my winch power.
So you can use a manual switch, or a solenoid which is an electric switch.
A solenoid is basically like a relay - it allows you to use lower power to control (switch on or off) heavier power.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BringTheLightnin

BringTheLightnin

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
The solenoid is an electric switch. There's a coil in it that when energized by a small switch inside, it pulls a bar or disk down to make contact with the terminals inside to complete the circuit.
It's a big heavy-duty electric switch.
The only reason MY engine must be running is because I used the Jeep factory "aux switches" to power the solenoid.
They can be configured to run either any time, or when the ignition is on.
I programmed #3 on mine to operate only with the ignition on. So engine running, I turn #3 aux switch on, it energizes the solenoid under the hood and that give my winch power.
So you can use a manual switch, or a solenoid which is an electric switch.
A solenoid is basically like a relay - it allows you to use lower power to control (switch on or off) heavier power.
So if I get the solenoid, I just wire it and don't have to touch it right? It'll just work when I turn on the winch?

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
I would say that you need a disconnect of some sort.
A plug in socket, a 400 amp switch or a solenoid type circuit are three options. There is nothing wrong with any of these. It comes down to your needs or desires. Hooking up the winch directly to the battery is not the way to go and I see already that you acknowledge that.

Large disconnect plugs are a sure way to isolate power from the winch. If located under the hood, leaving the hood up while winching adds an extra safety measure to any occupants.

Large contact switch is about the same. It will isolate the power from the winch and if placed under the hood you could leave the hood open while winching. The switch however eliminates the chance of debris getting into a plug-in type disconnect. I've used plug-in type connectors before and the covers for the plug go missing after some time.

The solenoid circuit type setup requires a little more work like running a control switch to turn power on to the winch. The control switch can be installed in the cab or under the hood. Either of these option have a chance of the switch being activated during an accident. A toggle switch with a guard is a good option.

I went with the S-Tech 4 switch set-up located in the lower cubby hole of the center console, oem location. It was a bit cheaper than the oem install and no programming is needed. The switch panel does give you more options for other modifications such as lights.

If you need help post it here, someone will tell you if you are doing it wrong, for sure! That is a good thing, to have that kind of help.

OP
OP
BringTheLightnin

BringTheLightnin

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
I would say that you need a disconnect of some sort.
A plug in socket, a 400 amp switch or a solenoid type circuit are three options. There is nothing wrong with any of these. It comes down to your needs or desires. Hooking up the winch directly to the battery is not the way to go and I see already that you acknowledge that.

Large disconnect plugs are a sure way to isolate power from the winch. If located under the hood, leaving the hood up while winching adds an extra safety measure to any occupants.

Large contact switch is about the same. It will isolate the power from the winch and if placed under the hood you could leave the hood open while winching. The switch however eliminates the chance of debris getting into a plug-in type disconnect. I've used plug-in type connectors before and the covers for the plug go missing after some time.

The solenoid circuit type setup requires a little more work like running a control switch to turn power on to the winch. The control switch can be installed in the cab or under the hood. Either of these option have a chance of the switch being activated during an accident. A toggle switch with a guard is a good option.

I went with the S-Tech 4 switch set-up located in the lower cubby hole of the center console, oem location. It was a bit cheaper than the oem install and no programming is needed. The switch panel does give you more options for other modifications such as lights.

If you need help post it here, someone will tell you if you are doing it wrong, for sure! That is a good thing, to have that kind of help.
Awesome thank you!

Sponsored

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
So if I get the solenoid, I just wire it and don't have to touch it right? It'll just work when I turn on the winch?
The winch 'on' (or rather the in/out buttons) is separate from the solenoid. the solenoid solely provides power to the winch when the solenoid switch is activated. You don't want to wire the solenoid to the winch activation buttons themselves as that would defeat the purpose of the solenoid.

But yes, you wire it up (to one of the aux switches for example) and essentially forget about it other than making sure nuts are tight during routine maintenance. It requires no opening of the hood, and manually turning anything - which is why many choose this route. And when 'off' the solenoid prevents electrical current from going all the way to the winch making it safer.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
https://www.autozone.com/electrical...2YSsjbHN7ra2uwVamqRoCPI0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

So this would work, right? Just run the winch to it and then the switch to the battery. Was gonna mount it under the hood to turn it on when I need it.
Yes, this switch will work. When you need the winch, you would open the hood and prop it up, turn on the switch. Then you can use your winch remote to operate the winch. When finished with the winch, turn the switch off and close the hood.

Joe Gladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You need to have a switch somewhere - most of us have one in the cab.
You turn the switch on to power the solenoid. The solenoid then engages and gives power to the winch. You can then operate the winch.
Turn the switch in the cab off, the solenoid disengages, killing power to the winch.

The switch like Joe Gladiator posted is what I had originally and it works FINE. It's heavy-duty, simple as heck to install.

https://www.autozone.com/electrical...2YSsjbHN7ra2uwVamqRoCPI0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

So this would work, right? Just run the winch to it and then the switch to the battery. Was gonna mount it under the hood to turn it on when I need it.
Absolutely. Simple to install, simple to use. Turn it on to use the winch, turn it off when done winding the rope back up in the winch. Cheap, easy to wire, few parts to mess with, wiring is extremely simple.
Red cable from battery + terminal to the switch, then another wire from the switch out to the winch power input.
When you connect the winch negative/black cable, make sure to connect it to the top of the IBS (intelligent battery sensor) on the battery negative post and not below the IBS.

Jeep Gladiator Winch disconnect switch? 1675264607972

Winch ground/black cable in the green area, not the red x area ->

Jeep Gladiator Winch disconnect switch? 1675264737742

SIG551-A1

First Name
Stazi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Engineer
There are a a few threads on this very topic.

YES - use a switch or a solenoid.
That switch would work, some use the Warn solenoid (or better) and some use the switch that comes with the Badland Apex 12000 winch.

On my 2020 I used the big switch that came with my winch, when I moved things over to my 2022, I used the Warn solenoid on one of my aux switches.
Some like a switch, some like a solenoid.
One reason a member said he liked the switch was because it forced him to open the hood - and an open hood could be protection against a broken rope/cable/other part lashing back at the driver or passenger in the vehicle. Not a bad point, I guess.
I like the solenoid controlled by a switch inside the cab because I can power it up from in the truck when it's really icy or mucky out and not have to reach up to open the hood.

Your call, your choice. Switch is fine and I like Bulldog stuff personally.

In any case, YES to a switch of some sort of other means of cutting off power to the front of the Jeep in case of accident, etc. - you won't have battery power up there on a cable that could get crunched, short, and cause a fire.
It's a safety thing. Why run full battery power to the front bumper - just waiting for a deer hit or other calamity to cut into that wire HOT. No power up there, the worst that happens is you need a bumper or some body work. With power, you could lose a lot more.
I put in the disconnect that came with the Badland Apex. It's super easy to do with the supplied switch and extra lead provided and ensures I don't have a live power wire always going to the winch. My fear is that over time, and you never know, the power cable could rub on some part of the engine, frame or accessories and then expose a bare wire and cause an arc that could make the battery explode or start a fire. I don't see a reason NOT to do it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BringTheLightnin

BringTheLightnin

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
You need to have a switch somewhere - most of us have one in the cab.
You turn the switch on to power the solenoid. The solenoid then engages and gives power to the winch. You can then operate the winch.
Turn the switch in the cab off, the solenoid disengages, killing power to the winch.

The switch like Joe Gladiator posted is what I had originally and it works FINE. It's heavy-duty, simple as heck to install.

Absolutely. Simple to install, simple to use. Turn it on to use the winch, turn it off when done winding the rope back up in the winch. Cheap, easy to wire, few parts to mess with, wiring is extremely simple.
Red cable from battery + terminal to the switch, then another wire from the switch out to the winch power input.
When you connect the winch negative/black cable, make sure to connect it to the top of the IBS (intelligent battery sensor) on the battery negative post and not below the IBS.

Winch ground/black cable in the green area, not the red x area ->

Awesome. Thanks. I'll probably just order one of those for now and then when I get my lights and aux switches I'll wire it to them

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I put in the disconnect that came with the Badland Apex. It's super easy to do with the supplied switch and extra lead provided and ensures I don't have a live power wire always going to the winch. My fear is that over time, and you never know, the power cable could rub on some part of the engine, frame or accessories and then expose a bare wire and cause an arc that could make the battery explode or start a fire. I don't see a reason NOT to do it.
One reason I removed the air/filter box (gas engine) on mine was to see the path I was taking the power cable through. And I strapped the heck out of it. About all that it's close to is the electric PS pump - and you have to watch things around that area because that's moving parts and that would grind the insulation off a cable quicker than you could react.
There are "safe paths" - but nothing is perfect so the disconnect ensures it's safer. A tie strap could break, a branch could poke up in there and shove the cable against the PS pump pulley - lots could happen.
I've rewired vehicles in my past life - the fires or burned wiring could have been avoided.
And it's not just "us" out there. There's people out there not paying attention, smoking that whacky tabacky, a little much celebrating "I'm fine to drive home, give me my damn keys" and worse. Heck, a perfect driver heading toward a stop light could have a heart attack (it happened here, he took it to the right and went off a bridge instead of into traffic)

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
These are what I used for a quick disconnect, works great, fast, easy to use, no worries about draining batteries or shorts.

I used the same on my XJ, 2 reasons I could use winch front or rear and could jump start with them but still had a solenoid with flip up rocker switch in cab. I happen to have one on front of LJ and one at rear of JT too. ;) Easy to jump start other vehicles or rear winch in latter case.

PW45

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Dad, Veteran, Electrical Engineer

billfraley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
At least their wiring diagram is perfectly not confusing at all.

B- to battery POSITIVE... ok sure. minus to positive why not.
B+ to winch? negative? WTF is going on here

Jeep Gladiator Winch disconnect switch? 1675469644649
I thought the same. This is a standard relay so it doesn’t matter how they label it. It just matters that the posts are connected correctly. There is plenty of info on these using google. Lol
Sponsored