Sponsored

Won a Performance check on a dyno- To do or not to do? What do I need to know?

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
Hi all!

We just won a free round on the dyno (specially adjusted also for 4x4) with a very reputable jeep importer and mechanic. They do all sorts of cool stuff, like hellcat swaps (freaken magicians getting that past German bureaucrats), exhausts, lifts, etc...

Now, as far as I know, they will not tune or do anything but check performance.
Should I take advantage of the offer or pass? Is there any benefit (like finding out that something is not quite right)?
Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Go for it. You'll find out just how much HP and torque you have at the rear wheels. They normally do it in a gear that's 1 to 1. So it could be that they do it in 4th gear if that is 1 to 1. Get the engine rpm on the graph, not the mph if you can. Find out if they do the SAE or the Smoothing 5 test. It should be printed on the upper right hand corner of the graph sheet. Also is it a hub dyno or rollers. Make sure you get a print out of the graph and post it.

My car has been on a dyno about 30 times tuning it.

OP
OP
PlayfulBird

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
@Rusty PW
Not my Gladiator, but this is the setup they use.
Jeep Gladiator Won a Performance check on a dyno- To do or not to do? What do I need to know? 1659606908185
Jeep Gladiator Won a Performance check on a dyno- To do or not to do? What do I need to know? 1659606878255

SAE or the Smoothing
I will find out what exactly they do and will share all the info online. Will likely be in metric units though :)

While the vehicle is there, I might also ask them to do an oil change and a check... I mean, if they already have it at their shop.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It sounds like fun. I'd do it.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
@Rusty PW
Not my Gladiator, but this is the setup they use.
Jeep Gladiator Won a Performance check on a dyno- To do or not to do? What do I need to know? 1659606878255

I will find out what exactly they do and will share all the info online. Will likely be in metric units though :)

While the vehicle is there, I might also ask them to do an oil change and a check... I mean, if they already have it at their shop.
Roller dyno. Find who makes it too. Different dyno companies calculate HP and torque differently.

Sponsored

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Will be a cool experiment to find out exactly how underpowered the JT is!! lol
Nothing wrong with running on a dyno, I've had plenty of corvettes on the dyno, albeit for tuning, but it wont hurt anything just to put it on the rollers.

OP
OP
PlayfulBird

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
Roller dyno. Find who makes it too. Different dyno companies calculate HP and torque differently.
>It is a dyno by MAHA, MSR 500/2 PKW Allrad , they specialize so your wheel is only in contact with one roller so up to 2000 Herseperse with very little risk of slippage and lost power and get more data directly over the obd and is OEM certified(according to the advertisemnent ;) )

TheOpa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber stuff
If the mechanic areas are that clean I would feel good about having them work on my stuff. It isn’t the only thing to consider, but typically when a shop is that immaculate it’s not a bad sign. I used to have different motorcycles worked on at either a Vance & Hines shop in California or the Fast by Ferracci shop here in PA before they closed and they were clean like that because they took so much pride in their work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PlayfulBird

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
If the mechanic areas are that clean I would feel good about having them work on my stuff. It isn’t the only thing to consider, but typically when a shop is that immaculate it’s not a bad sign. I used to have different motorcycles worked on at either a Vance & Hines shop in California or the Fast by Ferrari shop here in PA before they closed and they were clean like that because they took so much pride in their work.
They are, let's call it, premium. They are expensive, but their shop is clean, well organized and they definitely know what they are doing. Unlike 90% of the Jeep dealerships :) I reckon that is why they do not bother being affiliated. They import, build insane rigs and people come to them if they expect stuff you can't get in Germany or have a hard time getting it legalized. Peter Pauli and ORZ are 2 of the big names, ... if I had known that sooner I would not have purchased our import from the person we did.
€70+k on the table and when I saw scratches and dinged up tow ball or shite wiring, oohhh but it is a fun mobil, why should you care if your just gonna scratch it yourself, and we don't know it just is that way. Damages done when importing. Stupid when you find YT videos of him taking off road joyrides in our Gladiator, when confronted, but I was just showing what it can do(so why the f do you damage it and why don't you tell us about it and wait that we find it ourself). Also leaking rear window, guess what... a month later still has not responded to my email.
Idiots...

sry I needed to vent...

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
PlayfulBird

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
I can’t believe you found a video of your importer taking joyrides! And also showing them damaging your Gladiator! That’s crazy.
Well the one on Company YouTube he took down a day after we signed, but forgot the one on his private account and facebook, so I saved it and showed them. Went off the road up a steep slope and scratched the tow-attachement once on the concrete, once in the dirt. Now someone obviously took them down for him... doubt he knew that he had multiple uploads. His private one was only like 6 views. He took one corner too sharp into some bushes. Left rear fender scratched. His boys tried taking out the scratches with a heat gun after I pointed them out and discolored the dark plastic black/gray to a shiny light gray with still all the scratches to be seen. Importer then came out with some black polish and was like good as new.... ahem no!
Funny the tow attachment was in the rear foot well in a plastic bag, still had the dirt and grass on it from his 5 min of stupidity and guess what,.... rust under the attachment and in the receiver. I mean I bought it Jan 2022 and it is a 2020...

OP
OP
PlayfulBird

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
Was just sent an email that they do not have a place for me to wait?

I do not like leaving my vehicle where I am not allowed to observe. What's your opinion?

Last edited:

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Was just sent an email that they do not have a place for mew to wait?

I do not like leaving my vehicle where I am not allowed to observe. What's your opinion?
That's wild. Some shops have what they call Dyno Days. Everyone comes and takes video's of the cars on the dyno.

OP
OP
PlayfulBird

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
@Rusty PW @cmb396 @TheOpa @dcmdon '

A little pissed off. Asked them about specifics, no real answer. Asked them to be a part of it. No, safety not allowing it. Asked them if they would also do an oil change (of course I pay for and asked for a quote) they quoted (for everything including the dyno which should be free and)me 0w-40 Ravenol ???

MOP68191349A-Mopar Ölfilter Jeep JK 2014-2018 JL JT 3.6L
17,64 €

40 RAV1111108B200 RAVENOL Super Synthetik Öl SSL SAE 0W-40 8,50 Ltr. 221,34 €

Now I am very confused what is what? I am not an expert and these guys are, but why are they wanting to use 0w 40 and that filter is way cheaper than anything I can get my hands on.
Thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited: