Sponsored

Would you buy a base gladiator if you couldnt do any mods?

db305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Max Tow
not a chance only because of the stock tires. everything else i could deal with, but the stock tires are hilariously undersized that it makes the entire vehicle look out of proportion until they're swapped out.
Sponsored

Tarantularock

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 f150(sold) 2021 Gladiator Sport
No absolutely not - I bought a stock sport knowing I could / was going to add 20k in mods. I could get a whole lot more vehicle for my money if I was not build it for what I wanted.

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yes
No.

I'd absolutely not buy a base model if I couldn't mod it. In fact, that's why I purchased the Rubicon - I've gone down the path of mods, and didn't want to again. I wanted a vehicle I'd be happy with as-is, and for me that meant the Rubicon.

If I purchased a base model Sport, I'd immediately be unhappy with any number of things with it, and then the mods would start. No thank you.

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
I could do it, I've done very little to my Sport-S actually, and I've rolled before with radios that were way sub-par to what would come in the base Sport model. I'm rolling with the tires I got from the factory, I just can't justify in my head paying for a new set when I'll get at least 3 years out of these. I'm not as gung-ho to start modding everything on my Gladiator, as some of you guys lol :D

Sponsored

joejoethetireman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Just curious how many people would still buy the base gladiator if you didnt have any additional funds to mod anything, you would have to drive it stock. I dont mean the rubicon or majave either lol. Base, i will let you have power door lock, windows and ac though. I personally would not buy it. I wonder how many would agree?
Yes. It's the only truck you can take the top off.

Mezak

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Yes, bought a base sport with max tow in October 2019.. got LE rims.. 7inch radio..rubicon rock rails.. Mojave rear bumper/tow hook.. all under like $2k.. it’s my weekend vehicle so I don’t mind having manual locks/windows .. might sucks if it’s your daily

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I would if I could get a Willys, since you said Rubicon and Mojave were off limits.

AlxCZ

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Artist
I definetly would buy base. I suspect somewhere along the line the auto industry realized that add ons would bring more money. Base = unnecessary expense. If you lived most of your life without, you make do.

smw17gladiator

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Max Tow
Rare indeed. I had to special order, and wait 9 weeks for a base model. Options were: green paint, trailer hitch, limited slip, and floor mats.

Now I am adding running boards (mahogany) and wood half-doors.
Sounds pretty cool - pics please!

Sponsored

JDMRN81

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Nurse Practitioner
Personally, no. The base model looks awkward with how low it sits and their scrawny tires. If I could only afford a base model, I’d save up for a spacer lift and pick up some Rubi/Mojave takeoffs.

usnavycdr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys Sport S, 99 WJ
Occupation
Psych RN
The way you frame the parameters, that is probably a 1% or less market right there. Given that base sports are rare as hens teeth in most dealer lots, that is probably a self correcting thing.

I could not imagine a customer that would not want to mod unless they are just a hen pecked beta male or just only see their Gladiator as just point A to point B transportation and in that case, Gladiator is a piss poor buy to begin with.
I just watched a video of the TFL guy buying a pretty base Willys Sport JL. He sprang for Red paint and AC but nothing else. He's going to off-road it but wanted to keep weight down with all those doodads adding dead weight.
I'd buy a base Gladiator.

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
Rare indeed. I had to special order, and wait 9 weeks for a base model. Options were: green paint, trailer hitch, limited slip, and floor mats.

Now I am adding running boards (mahogany) and wood half-doors.
Can you post some pictures of that?

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
I have a base sport s with max tow. No mods so far. The only thing I want is more aggressive looking tires. I think you could probably sell the stock max tow rims and tires for $500 and pay $1000 for rubicon or Mojave take-offs. I could do without the power Windows and locks if I absolutely had to

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
The power windows and door locks would not be a deal braker for me. I have had way more vehicles with manual windows than power. I looked at a base Sport, the reason I passed on it was because the dealer had added enough extras that it was 8K more than the Sport S with 10K in options I bought.
Sponsored