Sponsored

Would you choose to write off your vehicle…??

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
If you were in a position of enjoying your life and truck and all is good, ….and all of a sudden out of nowhere and no warning smoke comes out from your wheel wells and maybe you might even smell smoke in the cab and you have the ability to pull over, grab the extinguisher and stop the beginnings of a fire….would you? Or would you let it burn to the ground and just write it off and start over?

Start over knowing you’d get a higher value for your vehicle writing it off as a pose to trying to sell it (before catastrophic event).

For me personally and is my opinion, I know I’m not bound to put myself at risk if the vehicle was going to burn to the ground but I also know I’d get a higher value payout if it’s written off (as this is what happened when an elk ran out onto the highway, destroying my last truck, back in last October) Insurance looked at what my vehicle was selling for at dealer lots to establish its value.

On the other hand, I could spray the extinguisher all over the engine and have it towed to some dealership to wait for parts and repairs to be done…
Sponsored

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Take the 5th.

I don’t look good in orange.
You’ve done nothing illegal. A pre-fire has happened as you’re driving. You pull over and you have one minute to decide if you put it out or just let it go and write it off.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Tough question but I get real attached to vehicles I've put work into and built to my liken, I'd probably have to put it out. I guess what it would come down to is how bad it was when I grab the fire extinguisher, if it looked salvageable I'm putting it out.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Tough question but I get real attached to vehicles I've put work into and built to my liken, I'd probably have to put it out. I guess what it would come down to is how bad it was when I grab the fire extinguisher, if it looked salvageable I'm putting it out.
I'd add to that that as a mechanic who has repaired many vehicles with burn damage - I'd QUICKLY assess the fire - location, size of the "fire" and other factors. I can't answer such a question with one definitive answer because in my case, I'd have to say "it depends".

You also have to think about what you've put into that vehicle - modifications. Unless you have given your agent a list of modifications and/or kept all receipts, you are likely to get what the vehicle itself was worth, not counting more expensive wheels and tires and any internal mods.
THAT VARIES with insurance companies. My own gave me a fatter check by far than what our Grand Cherokee (WJ) was worth when I totaled it on ice. I was ready for a battle but the adjuster saw the running boards, expensive mats and several other mods and gave me credit for that and the fact I'd cared for it like a baby (until that fateful day) so again - I can't give a blanket answer.
My agent told me to keep all receipts and send him a list of mods with photos and numbers. Since I'm covered for vehicle and contents - I suppose knowing Jeff, he'd list all of those things as vehicle contents to cover it all. He's clever in how he writes things up.

JetSkiJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 2011 Ford Crown Vic (work car), 2020 Mojave Gladiator as of 10-24-20.
Occupation
Retired LE
No emergency like a vehicle fire is worth anyone's life or even serious injury over a piece of Property. I have 3 other vehicles one which is another Jeep I can use any of them until the Insurance Process completes.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No emergency like a vehicle fire is worth anyone's life or even serious injury over a piece of Property. I have 3 other vehicles one which is another Jeep I can use any of them until the Insurance Process completes.
That is absolutely true - but like I've repaired in the past - he said "smoke" - could be anything from overheating brakes easily dealt with, or any number of things a basic quality fire extinguisher would take care of. A full blown fire along the interstate also risks lives - and property other than your own.
Maybe it's mouse nest debris on something, brakes, a wheel bearing..........

So for me - it's assess the situation. If it's safely doable, put it out. If you can see it's into fuel or there's no way your one extinguisher will do it - a call to 911 is in order after you ensure everyone is safe.

Many fires can and are easily put out in the first seconds, even minute or two as I can attest to personally with my first wife and our car at that time. A quick thinking bank employee saw the smoke and starting of a fire and grabbed and extinguisher and put it out.
And it was a good thing in that case - it could have been a disaster had a fuel line been compromised.

Now if the OP had said "there are flames several inches high coming from area xxxxx" - time to think again. Smoke - not necessarily a fire - yet.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has had to take some training due to their jobs - so maybe that's part of my feelings on it?? And then we have fire and rescue members here who are likely better suited to give the best answers.

Sponsored

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
If you were in a position of enjoying your life and truck and all is good, ….and all of a sudden out of nowhere and no warning smoke comes out from your wheel wells and maybe you might even smell smoke in the cab and you have the ability to pull over, grab the extinguisher and stop the beginnings of a fire….would you? Or would you let it burn to the ground and just write it off and start over?

Start over knowing you’d get a higher value for your vehicle writing it off as a pose to trying to sell it (before catastrophic event).

For me personally and is my opinion, I know I’m not bound to put myself at risk if the vehicle was going to burn to the ground but I also know I’d get a higher value payout if it’s written off (as this is what happened when an elk ran out onto the highway, destroying my last truck, back in last October) Insurance looked at what my vehicle was selling for at dealer lots to establish its value.

On the other hand, I could spray the extinguisher all over the engine and have it towed to some dealership to wait for parts and repairs to be done…
I think you already know the answer to your question.:like:;)

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Lets see, when this happens, is the extreme recon rubicon JT available for order? Hahaha

I got two kids and no time.
I'm so tired of working on my own truck. Just want a turn key solution nowadays. So yeah, burn it!

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Way to follow up your other thread https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/burned-to-the-ground….48078/unread

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
My knee-jerk reaction would be to try and save it. If the fire's bad enough, I'd get myself and everyone else out of harm's way and watch the fireworks. I have a lot of blood, sweat, and tears invested in mine because I've turned every wrench that ever touched it. It would suck to see that go up in flames........but at least I'd walk away to build my next one. Good luck.

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
This actually happened to me.

I started my 2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins one morning, backed out of the garage and all this smoke start pouring out from under the hood and I could smell it from the cab.

When it happened it I didn't really think about it. I just put the fire out. I had just finished building my swimming pool and I had several 5 gallon buckets right next to the pool because I was adjusting ph every day, so I just ran to the backyard and scooped up a bucket of pool water and put it out with one bucket.

In my case all it needed was a new wiring harness and my insurance covered about half of it after deductible. I drove it another 2 years without an issue but I never really trusted it after that. I also never let the grid heater pre-heat anymore.
Sponsored