First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Yes it does but one doesn’t become a rich old man by being a stupid young man!
Sponsored

Last edited:

CDJeeps25

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep WJ, 2007 Jeep WK CRD, 2018 Jeep WK2 EcoDiesel.
This pretty much sums it up for me! And that wasn’t the largest gap I saw tonight. At one station gas was $1.99 and diesel was $3.09.

D7C39CE2-A95D-4F92-8603-AD4CF9D86CC6.jpeg
Diesel is upwards of $4 a gallon here in CA.

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
My only hesitation with the EcoDiesel is reliability...I know there were plenty of issues initially with them, any body know how they've been fairing in the more recent models?

Plus the ones in the JT will be a whole new generation...so old issues fixed, but potentially all new ones. We'll see I guess.

hopefully you guys will have done all the beta testing before we get it;)

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
My only hesitation with the EcoDiesel is reliability...I know there were plenty of issues initially with them, any body know how they've been fairing in the more recent models?

Plus the ones in the JT will be a whole new generation...so old issues fixed, but potentially all new ones. We'll see I guess.
The reason the EcoDiesels were frequently locking up and required full engine replacements had something to do with the way the camshaft gears were machined. There was no keyway to keep them locked in place, so when they spun free they'd wipe out the engine. Reputable sources at dealerships have said that the problem was very widespread, particularly at around 70,000 miles and beyond.

Since this is an internal failure, how will anyone know whether FCA has addressed this issue or not? You won't be able to see it unless you disassemble the top of the engine, and there isn't a service department or FCA representative anywhere that's going to have the answer to that question if you ask, "Has the cam gear issue been addressed?"

Buying an EcoDiesel is going to be risky until somebody has the guts or necessity to open one up.

Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I'm fairly certain the early ecodiesel engine problems were due to rod bearing failures - I have read from bad bearing material to faulty bearing cap bolts/torque. Actually know a guy who went through this w/ his Ram pickup. Pretty sure they changed the bearing design, that's why Jeep changed the spec on the engine oil too. It still seems crazy to me to change the oil in a diesel at ~10K miles, don't care if it's synth or not, I change mine at 8K.
I have read about the cam gear issue you describe, I would file it under 'design flaw'. As I understand it, on the passenger side of the engine the end of the cam has the timing gear on it = the end of the shaft is tapered, and the gear is simply bolted on, it is held in place by friction alone applied by the torque of the bolt. Not pinned/keyed at all. What could possibly go wrong, right? :facepalm: Hopefully they improve this w/ the Gen II version of the 3.0

Kay9Cop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 Cummins
There is a current lawsuit banning the sale of FCA's ecodeisel due to emmisions.. i'm surprised they even mentioned it will be offered.... maybe they are being optimistic.
The law suit is against 2014-16 Eco diesels. The ED was upgraded in 2017 and the newer ones are emissions compliant.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
So, the MPG of the diesel will have a big effect on these prices. If my Petrol JT gets 20 MPG and it costs 2.30 a gallon (around the cost here in CO for 85) and the Diesel JT gets 30 MPG and it costs 3 a gallon (around the cost here as well), the range on the diesel becomes ridiculously good... and the cost per gallon really drops for the diesel. That being said, we haven't seen any numbers for the efficiency of the Ecodiesel... if my above numbers are accurate then it seems like it'll pay for itself kinda quickly... oh i guess unless they tack on a 5-10k price tag for the option.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
So, the MPG of the diesel will have a big effect on these prices. If my Petrol JT gets 20 MPG and it costs 2.30 a gallon (around the cost here in CO for 85) and the Diesel JT gets 30 MPG and it costs 3 a gallon (around the cost here as well), the range on the diesel becomes ridiculously good... and the cost per gallon really drops for the diesel. That being said, we haven't seen any numbers for the efficiency of the Ecodiesel... if my above numbers are accurate then it seems like it'll pay for itself kinda quickly... oh i guess unless they tack on a 5-10k price tag for the option.
Don't forget extra maintenance costs.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Don't forget extra maintenance costs.
Yah, that part I'm unfamiliar with. I would worry that I don't know how to maintain one... if it's tricky. I sure wish they'd at least announce numbers for expected MPG on everything.

Sponsored

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU
I would like the diesel but living in CA the cost of diesel fuel is crazy (not to mention the cost of the diesel engine itself). So most likely sticking with the 3.6 but heard it was modified for the JT.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
I would like the diesel but living in CA the cost of diesel fuel is crazy (not to mention the cost of the diesel engine itself). So most likely sticking with the 3.6 but heard it was modified for the JT.
The 3.6 was updated in 2018, no specific updates for the JT

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
My neighbor has a '14 Ram Bighorn with EcoD, he said he gets 27mpg.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase

I’ve 65k trouble free miles on my 2015 GC Ecodiesel. I see the Ecodiesel Gladiator as its replacement.