First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
mechanic
How long is it taking every one to get the gear installed once it is ordered? Took it in a week ago and the part was ordered. Moving in 3 and a half weeks. I would hate to have to start all over with a different dealership.
Sponsored

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
Well, went in about a month ago, they checked it out, ordered a part and scheduled the service for today (after they told me the part came in). Dropped the Jeep off at 8am this morning... They just called and said that they never ordered the part and I need to come back in another two months maybe more... super happy about that......... Not to be "that guy" but i wonder if someone "more priority" got given the part (they said was in stock 3 days ago) instead of me... oh well just an entire day wasted and an hour trip both ways.

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I called my local dealership last week and left a voicemail with the service department expressing my experience with my Gladiatorā€™s steering and mentioned the TSB number as a fix for it. I was expecting to have the typical dealer response of ā€˜prove itā€™ to get the steering box replaced. When the dealer service employee called back I had a short conversation with her where she verified the TSB. She noted my concerns, addressed them, and to my surprise, put me down on their backlog of JTs waiting for steering parts (Iā€™m 4th on the list) and repair work, all over the phone. She was honest about the slow down in parts and let me know they would tackle the work once my replacement had arrived. I can honestly say that was the easiest dealer repair conversation Iā€™ve ever had! So far, Nyle Maxwell in Austin, TX. really went above and beyond with their efforts to make my Jeep right!

atxatxatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK2Grand Cherokee,Gladiator Mojave
I called my local dealership last week and left a voicemail with the service department expressing my experience with my Gladiatorā€™s steering and mentioned the TSB number as a fix for it. I was expecting to have the typical dealer response of ā€˜prove itā€™ to get the steering box replaced. When the dealer service employee called back I had a short conversation with her where she verified the TSB. She noted my concerns, addressed them, and to my surprise, put me down on their backlog of JTs waiting for steering parts (Iā€™m 4th on the list) and repair work, all over the phone. She was honest about the slow down in parts and let me know they would tackle the work once my replacement had arrived. I can honestly say that was the easiest dealer repair conversation Iā€™ve ever had! So far, Nyle Maxwell in Austin, TX. really went above and beyond with their efforts to make my Jeep right!
I wonder how that "list" works. As I was placed on the list last week and I was told 9th on the list at the same dealership.

Let's compare notes and see when we actually get called, for when the parts come in.

Sgt. Pepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
These are all new, or nearly new Gladiators, so I can't imagine how a mechanic could possibly damage the pitman arm, unless he used nothing but a hammer to try and remove it. Removing the part isn't difficult or rocket science, it just requires the right tools.

Was the vehicle up in "salt winter" country? What gives here?

that is all I was told, that they can't remove it, they ordered a new one and installed it with new steering gear ā€

Sponsored

Front Runner

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Insurance
I was put on the list for the part and told they can only order so many every 7 days. It would likely be 3-4 weeks before they had the part for me with the others ahead of me.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Made an appointment last week at the local JEEP dealership and today was the day. Dropped it off in the AM and 2 hours later I got the call: We've ordered the part under the TSB. Their guesstimate is sometime in December based on what they've seen so far.

It should be great to get the cast iron steering box installed instead of the existing aluminum box

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
DO NOT try to band-aid it. GET IT FIXED. What happens when warranty runs out and you still have the old steering gear and have issues? It's on your dime, then. Get it fixed, no band-aids actually fix this, some MAY, and that is a MAY, mask it, but that's it. Nothing fixes it except the new steering gear.
IF it's a July build it has the aluminum goofy steering gear.
2021 model year and it seems some mid to late August build 2020s have the new gear but it's EASY to tell.
Go to page 1 of this thread, download and PRINT the TSB.
The PART NUMBERS are on it.
As already stated hjdca, the faulty gear is aluminum - a gray to silver/gray color. The good one is BLACK, cast steel and you will see a sticker with the PART NUMBER on it.
I'd bet a Big Mac yours has the old bad gear.
What angle of the car do you look into to see it? I never looked to see my new one or the old one for that matter. Do you need to fold back the wheel liner at all?

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
All hope is not lost - my dealer returned my JTR back to me cleaner than it was when they got it. Its unfortunate that there are lazy/poor customer service at some dealerships, but some still take pride in a job well done.
Same here, my tech was great, even lowered tire pressure when they did the alignment. No problems since.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What angle of the car do you look into to see it? I never looked to see my new one or the old one for that matter. Do you need to fold back the wheel liner at all?
Left wheel opening, ahead of the center of the axle, above the frame, you can pull back the plastic liner - it's really thin, and can see it there.
Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 20200904_110435_HDR

Sponsored

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
I went by my local dealer to have mine inspected and get the part ordered. Dealer said I would have to leave my truck 3-4 days to get the inspection. They would not schedule the inspection. Another dealership farther away did schedule the inspection.

Such crappy service by dealers will cost Jeep my future business. Iā€™ve bought a lot of Jeeps over the years and I believe my ā€œnewā€ Jeep days are over. The dealer has made this the most troubles new vehicle purchase of my life. I do hope this is the last thing I ever need from the dealerships.

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Has anyone posted video of the issues this TSB addresses?

The descriptions I have read have been anywhere from ā€œlife-threateningly dangerous drivingā€, to ā€œmaybe the steering wheel has too much play?ā€

Iā€™m curious if I have any subtle symptoms of this issue that I have just been compensating for in my normal driving.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
My part was ordered last week and came in yesterday and dropping my JT off tomorrow for the replacement.

DaleG

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 Infiniti QX50, 2015 Cruisers Yacht 45 Cantius
Occupation
Self Employed
I'd love to see a video of the steering wheel now. I had the TSB done, and although the steering is improved and tighter, there is still a dead zone. About an inch left or right from center.
I have the same issue after having TSB performed Friday....one inch n both directions....

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
Picked up my truck yesterday after they completed the TSB work. They also did a computer update, oil change and tire rotation. Went for a little drive afterwards to check it out. First impression is that the steering is improved with less wheel play and feels much tighter as highway speeds.
Sponsored