First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
Am i the only one who is really aggrevated by this latest clutch recall. The fact that a year ago I got notice my 6 month old truck had a clutch recall was upsetting enough. Now to see a second recall is out and the solution isnt to fix the problem but to neuter my already under powered truck is upsetting. I paid $50,000 for a truck with 260 lb/ft of torgue not less. I have said since I test drove the truck the issue with it is it is underpowered. Not more then I could live with and I loved everything else so I could deal with the truck being a little underpowered. When on steep trails I already need to use 4 lo to get enough torque and rpm to prevent stalling without feathering the clutch. I didnt pay all this money for jeep to then lower my power instead of fixing the weak link. Its a cheap work around by a company that charges a premium for there product.

Nope! you are not alone in the frustrations of this. I did pay a hefty premium to get this truck and the stick, knowing it already it was among the least powerful of it's class. And then got the initial recall scare, but thought "early fluke" "no need to spoil the whole truck" kinda deal.

But I'm concerned now that A) this is a very dangerous scenario that is literally happening under my feet, and B) the "approved" measure is an acknowledgement that the overheating is noticed, and occurs because not of a defect, but everything is working to specifications, aside from the motor makes "too much power".

So either it has a very under spec'd friction material to hold the load, or the clamping force is too light to again hold the already underwhelming torque, and done so by design, either to protect a weak trans, or to save a dollar in materials. As the Auto is what sells volume, this is a novelty.

All in all it definitely is leaving a very sour taste in my mouth. As I can try aftermarket clutches, but that would put me in a position to replace the trans out of pocket should something go wrong, because 260 ft pounds is too much for it to take.

I too didn't put near $50k into a jeep, only to find out that the parts I paid a premium for, is anything less than what I the spec sheet said it can handle, the least of which being the engine "too powerful"

:mad:
Sponsored

bgoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport
Build Thread
Link
Am i the only one who is really aggrevated by this latest clutch recall. The fact that a year ago I got notice my 6 month old truck had a clutch recall was upsetting enough. Now to see a second recall is out and the solution isnt to fix the problem but to neuter my already under powered truck is upsetting. I paid $50,000 for a truck with 260 lb/ft of torgue not less. I have said since I test drove the truck the issue with it is it is underpowered. Not more then I could live with and I loved everything else so I could deal with the truck being a little underpowered. When on steep trails I already need to use 4 lo to get enough torque and rpm to prevent stalling without feathering the clutch. I didnt pay all this money for jeep to then lower my power instead of fixing the weak link. Its a cheap work around by a company that charges a premium for there product.
Beyond frustrated. I just had a $2,500 lift delivered and was about to order 37s. Now how do I know the clutch can handle that, even with regearing? And will they just stick me with the bill for a new clutch if I put those tires on and it breaks? (Yes).

This is a little ridiculous. Hardware problem, software solution?? Should've just gone with an automatic. Will have to wait for more details from the dealer I guess.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Recalls happen all the time. I don't like them, but if it doesn't inconvenience me too much I don't get too upset. Besides, they gave me a Gladiator Mojave to drive around for the weekend when they did mine. My JK had a couple recalls over the years, including the passenger air bag charge, and my 2015 Ford Transit has had probably 4 recalls, all for safety related items.

What aggrivates me is that the new solution is now appearing to be a big shit sandwich. I do NOT want my engine detuned in any way shape or form, and If I understand the root cause of the problem, I don't see how a detune will really be a fix. I wouldn't be upset if the recall fixed the problem without changing the Jeep in a way that I will actually feel every time I drive it. That's simply unacceptable.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beyond frustrated. I just had a $2,500 lift delivered and was about to order 37s. Now how do I know the clutch can handle that, even with regearing? And will they just stick me with the bill for a new clutch if I put those tires on and it breaks? (Yes).

This is a little ridiculous. Hardware problem, software solution?? Should've just gone with an automatic. Will have to wait for more details from the dealer I guess.
That sucks. I certainly would have bought an auto on my JL if the engine were less powerful with the manual. What bugs me, though, is that even they bought it back, I don't want this engine with e-torque and its complexity. So if they did that today, I'd probably move from the Wrangler to the Gladiator to avoid e-torque.

I'm going to put my JL on my nephew's company's dyno before this recall and then do it again afterward to see what is lost. My bet is that it will make me look at legal options.

Even if they bought it back at a fair value, they don't sell the lifetime warranty I bought anymore. I'd demand that either they refund that money to me or transfer it to the new vehicle.

The only way they make this right in my mind is to fix the damned thing properly and leave the power as-is, or offer me a very fair deal to swap it for a new one with an auto, transferring my lifetime warranty or refunding it, plus interest. The latter would be fair, but would SUCK. I LOVE my Jeep and no auto would ever be as satisfying to drive, as good as the 8 speed is. And my Jeep has been darned near perfect in fit/finish and reliability and quality. I don't want to give it up and I don't want it degraded. Ugggh.

The thought of a detune on my Pentastar, which I dearly love, makes me sick. Especially when I believe my transmission did not and does not have the problem that caused a few of these things to grenade.

2004blackwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 wrx, 2005 xterra, 2014 durango, formerly 1998 wrangler
Dan I 100 percent agree. Recalls happen. I am glad usually when they do happen because the company is going to fix a mistake they made. However the repair should be a fix and not a work around. I love you are going to dyno before and after great idea. This is very frustrating like you said if i knew beforehand the manual was going to have less power then an automatic I very likely wouldn't have bought the truck.

Sponsored

bgoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport
Build Thread
Link
That sucks. I certainly would have bought an auto on my JL if the engine were less powerful with the manual. What bugs me, though, is that even they bought it back, I don't want this engine with e-torque and its complexity. So if they did that today, I'd probably move from the Wrangler to the Gladiator to avoid e-torque.

I'm going to put my JL on my nephew's company's dyno before this recall and then do it again afterward to see what is lost. My bet is that it will make me look at legal options.

Even if they bought it back at a fair value, they don't sell the lifetime warranty I bought anymore. I'd demand that either they refund that money to me or transfer it to the new vehicle.

The only way they make this right in my mind is to fix the damned thing properly and leave the power as-is, or offer me a very fair deal to swap it for a new one with an auto, transferring my lifetime warranty or refunding it, plus interest. The latter would be fair, but would SUCK. I LOVE my Jeep and no auto would ever be as satisfying to drive, as good as the 8 speed is. And my Jeep has been darned near perfect in fit/finish and reliability and quality. I don't want to give it up and I don't want it degraded. Ugggh.

The thought of a detune on my Pentastar, which I dearly love, makes me sick. Especially when I believe my transmission did not and does not have the problem that caused a few of these things to grenade.
Here's my biggest gripe with this, the problem description is nearly identical across both recalls. From March 2020:

"In some circumstances, the clutch pressure plate may become overheated through friction, which may lead the pressure plate to fracture. A fractured pressure plate may crack or fracture the transmission case, allowing heated debris to contact ignition sources on the vehicle, potentially leading to a vehicle fire. A fractured pressure plate may also lead to a loss of propulsion, or generation of road debris."

And now from Jan 2021:

"In some circumstances, the clutch pressure plate may become overheated through friction, which may lead the pressure plate to rapidly fracture. When a pressure plate fractures, it may result in cracks or holes in the transmission case, allowing heated debris to be expelled from the transmission case. "

The same problem but vastly different solutions? I'm bringing this up to the dealer for sure - not that they'll do anything. Honestly, I haven't noticed anything wrong with my clutch and haven't heard much on here or anywhere else about this. I might just move forward with my plan for 37s, avoid driving like it's a racecar, and pray it all works out 🙏

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's my biggest gripe with this, the problem description is nearly identical across both recalls. From March 2020:

"In some circumstances, the clutch pressure plate may become overheated through friction, which may lead the pressure plate to fracture. A fractured pressure plate may crack or fracture the transmission case, allowing heated debris to contact ignition sources on the vehicle, potentially leading to a vehicle fire. A fractured pressure plate may also lead to a loss of propulsion, or generation of road debris."

And now from Jan 2021:

"In some circumstances, the clutch pressure plate may become overheated through friction, which may lead the pressure plate to rapidly fracture. When a pressure plate fractures, it may result in cracks or holes in the transmission case, allowing heated debris to be expelled from the transmission case. "

The same problem but vastly different solutions? I'm bringing this up to the dealer for sure - not that they'll do anything. Honestly, I haven't noticed anything wrong with my clutch and haven't heard much on here or anywhere else about this. I might just move forward with my plan for 37s, avoid driving like it's a racecar, and pray it all works out 🙏
So what we've got at this point is two different NHTSA documents describing the FCA solution in two distinctly different ways. One just says FCA will do a software update that detunes the engine. That implies a total detune under all conditions. The other says it will only detune the engine when the temps reach a dangerous point. Neither document is from FCA.

At this point, I'm going to chill out and not worry about them screwing up my Jeep. Clearly they are trying to remedy the problem. I will wait until we see the recall documentation from FCA themselves. I am certain they will clear things up and we'll know exactly what the software update will do.

I just can't imagine they would detune the engine across the board. I don't think it would solve the problem, but also I think it is tantamount to a breach of contract due to the published power output of the engine being changed AFTER we bought it.

It DOES make sense, if possible, to trigger the detune when the temps reach the danger point. I would then want the detune to be like a limp home mode and trigger some kind of warning, such as a CEL. Because if those temps are reached, then the danger is clear and present and the Jeep needs to be serviced IMMEDIATLY. The problem won't heal itself. On the other hand, if the temp never gets to the danger point, nothing is wrong and all is good. Let those horses run.

I'm taking this bad boy to Moab in March, recall or not. I'm convinced mine doesn't have the problem, or it would have shown up by now, especially since I drive this thing hard all the time. It feels perfect. Always has. It passed the clutch wear test on the first recall, twice. (Once by me, once by the dealer.) My clutch has not worn, so clearly the friction that causes the heat enough to damage the plate has not occurred in it.

So I will try not to get all worked up until we hear from FCA. I'm telling myself that my Jeep is as wonderful right now as it was earlier today, before I started reading all this and thinking about it.

Dew.J

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Is it possible this is a “new” fix not “another” fix. Perhaps FCA is changing the approach to how they are solving the previous problem for those vehicles that have not been fixed yet??? Dunno just throwing out an idea.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We really need to wait to see FCA's description of the fix. If for no other reason than our own sanity. Otherwise, I'll just sit here and wildly continue to speculate and drive myself nuts. Which I'll probably do anyway, but I needed to say that.

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
If you put in your vin# now at the recall website will it tell you if your jeep is recalled??? Or will it tell you in march??

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or is it def 100% of all the MTs sold?
It looks like all of them, but we don't really know for sure. Remember, too, that this recall, based on the info from the first one, doesn't appear to be something that can be traced to a bad batch or connected to a SN or VIN. Otherwise, it would be narrowed down.

They may not have completely nailed down the cause, either, as they had once thought. This remedy looks like an insurance policy, to me, to prevent another catastrophic failure out in the wild, casuing someone to get hurt or killed.

If it can be done the way I hope, with the detune only triggered by excessive heat, then I'm perfectly fine with it and actually welcome it. But I don't want my Jeeps jewels snipped when the excessive heat has not appeared.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you put in your vin# now at the recall website will it tell you if your jeep is recalled??? Or will it tell you in march??
I think it will show up in March. I tried and it did not show. But that happend on the last round, too. It was weaks after I tried and saw nothing when I tried again and it appeared.

If it is a do not drive until recall situation, then it will appear very soon. Otherwise, it may take awhile. I'd try it once every week or two. Also, if it is a do not drive situtation, we'll probably get notified by phone or mail or both VERY soon. I doubt we'll see that with so few actually getting to the point of blowing apart.

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it will show up in March. I tried and it did not show. But that happend on the last round, too. It was weaks after I tried and saw nothing when I tried again and it appeared.

If it is a do not drive until recall situation, then it will appear very soon. Otherwise, it may take awhile. I'd try it once every week or two. Also, if it is a do not drive situtation, we'll probably get notified by phone or mail or both VERY soon. I doubt we'll see that with so few actually getting to the point of blowing apart.
They said march sometime lol. I guess its not a priority. Why worry? If it torches we get a new one from FCA right?

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dont really care but i think the mods will stop. Shit, if you put bigger tires they might say that caused the flywheel to catch on fire, no?
Sponsored