First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
The real fix may be to reprogram the engine to boost low rpm torque as much as possible in 1st/2cnd gears where its needed, so drivers don't slip the crap out of the clutch simulating an auto.

I guarantee I can smoke any clutch using it like a torque converter. I suspect many drivers have no idea how much stress they are putting on the clutch system and get confused when it burns up.
If you can smell it your doing it wrong.
Sponsored

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
There was some speculation the D478 6spd does not have a pilot bearing input shaft but the new flywheel pictures appears to have one. Did you happen to notice whether the transmission in fact does have a pilot bearing input shaft?

I haven’t seen/noticed or heard anything like that yet.

Sebas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Had the Y07 recall done today.
Strange bug, the dash screen now switches to some language (Turkish?) when I press the Up arrow on the steering.
It is also verry bugged.
No speedo, information page is all empty, Pitch and Roll values stuck at 60.

The dealer said they called customer service and they are aware of this bug. Apparently a dozen other vehicles had this problem and they are working on a fix.
But in the meantime, I'm stuck with this bug, which sucks.

I am due for an oil change and I can't even reset the oil life meter.

I opened a case at Mopar service website, in case the dealer lied to me.
We will see what they tell me...

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Had the Y07 recall done today.
Strange bug, the dash screen now switches to some language (Turkish?) when I press the Up arrow on the steering.
It is also verry bugged.
No speedo, information page is all empty, Pitch and Roll values stuck at 60.

The dealer said they called customer service and they are aware of this bug. Apparently a dozen other vehicles had this problem and they are working on a fix.
But in the meantime, I'm stuck with this bug, which sucks.

I am due for an oil change and I can't even reset the oil life meter.

I opened a case at Mopar service website, in case the dealer lied to me.
We will see what they tell me...
Sounds like the IP reprogram was botched. I'm sure they'll fix it.

JayDee

First Name
Joël
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladitator Rubicon - Sting-Grey
Occupation
Teacher
I just got the software update done yesterday and got the exact same thing. I know of at least 2 other Canadian Gladiator owners with the same problem. One was saying that his dealership ordered a new cluster to replace. It seems that they can't revert back to the old software. I'm bringing mine in this afternoon to see what they can do. I would say WAIT before having the recall done.

Sponsored

Sebas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I just got the software update done yesterday and got the exact same thing. I know of at least 2 other Canadian Gladiator owners with the same problem. One was saying that his dealership ordered a new cluster to replace. It seems that they can't revert back to the old software. I'm bringing mine in this afternoon to see what they can do. I would say WAIT before having the recall done.
At least we there are multiple cases, which means they will need to address this problem.
Let us know if the new cluster fixes the problem for the other guy, if you talk to him again.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
FWIW mine went off without a hitch and I've got one of the oldest JL's.

I think I'd have them give the reprogram another go if there was a problem.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Crap, I need an oil change and am worried they will insist on doing the recall update.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
Crap, I need an oil change and am worried they will insist on doing the recall update.
Its not too difficult to change it yourself if you have a place to work. I ordered an extra cap and drain plug with the filter but needed neither.

I used quaker state ulitmate durability as it meets the mopar spec and tests high on the 540rat.blog

Sponsored

Sebas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
FWIW mine went off without a hitch and I've got one of the oldest JL's.

I think I'd have them give the reprogram another go if there was a problem.
I had them retry programming a second time and it didn’t work. They also told me they could not revert to the previous version…

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Its not too difficult to change it yourself if you have a place to work. I ordered an extra cap and drain plug with the filter but needed neither.

I used quaker state ulitmate durability as it meets the mopar spec and tests high on the 540rat.blog
Yea, I was just trying to take advantage of a couple more free Jeep Wave oil changes. I have always done all the oil changes on all my other vehicles myself. I'd actually prefer that they just hand me the oil and filter. Maybe I'll just blow off the freebies until this recall has the bugs worked out.

hawk14414

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Billet silver JTR 6 speed
It's amazing to me that Jeep continues to screw this up. The issue itself, as well as how it has been responded to, has been poor at best. An arguably under powered.....but let's say "adequately"...powered Jeep mated to a whimpy clutch is not a recipe for success in a vehicle meant to endure harsh conditions. In addition, my MT tranny failed, and was replaced under warranty by Jeep, with only 300 miles on the clock. There is a post regarding it - Jeep handled the replacement well...but a questionable tranny mated to an under spec'd clutch is not confidence inspiring.

My opinion is the entire MT drivetrain is awkwardly configured and connected. It is fairly pleasant to drive when it works....I thought driving mine around town was a blast! I love the concept, and I love the MT availability. But for this sort of vehicle, it needs to be reasonably robust - and my experience was otherwise.

I took advantage of the current used car market, and sold my 2020 MT Rubicon via Vroom. They offered me ~$500 less than what I paid 15 months and 19k miles into my ownership. I still want a modern MT Jeep pick up to drive and work. The product as it stands is not ready in my eyes.

Gobistick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landrover 110 and Gladiator Sport S
Had the software recall done this week. It vastly improve the clutch take-up in first gear from a standstill. There now appears to be noticeably more torque off idle and less need to feed in the clutch using revs. I'm very pleased with the change. I did have the language change problem when I picked it up but the technician was able to return it to English by resetting the language in settings on the touch screen.. It took him two tries to make it stick though. Go figure !

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Two Door Rubicon, 2017 Audi Q5, 2016 Ram, 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Only a few manual transmissions are still offered in the automotive world, especially in suv/trucks and it is a shame FCA botched this transmission. In more ways than one, too.
Sponsored