Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And if they bring back the Dakota what is the point , they got rid of it for a reason . Further why would they take sales away from the gladiator if it's the same frame...that is a stupid decision. Just improve on the gladiator
Because mid-size trucks are having a resurgence now that full-size trucks have gotten so insanely large/expensive. I don't see the Dakota (or any other mid-size truck for that matter) competing directly with the JT. A Jeep is it's own thing... rugged 4x4 with solid axles, etc. Nobody else does that (in a pickup anyway).

Closet Jeep guy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd gen tacoma

Closet Jeep guy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd gen tacoma
Because mid-size trucks are having a resurgence now that full-size trucks have gotten so insanely large/expensive. I don't see the Dakota (or any other mid-size truck for that matter) competing directly with the JT. A Jeep is it's own thing... rugged 4x4 with solid axles, etc. Nobody else does that (in a pickup anyway).
I just hope they don't discontinue the gladiator, I really want one but I have to wait until later this year

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Not disagreeing that there has been talk about it, just that - motorbiscuit?
I'd find some authoritative sources. I've found so much incorrect info on those top two lately that it's spooky. They are obviously "new school" "journalists" and I use the latter term quite loosely.
Even Motortrend has hired some goofs in recent years.

Now maybe there's a reason they have "stories" and got some good info, but I hardly consider especially a couple of them a "reliable" source of solid information.
I certainly don't rely on them for solid accurate specs or info on how things work.

But to the other thoughts - yeah, I can see it - competing with Toyota and VW and Ford's Maverick - I can see that.
Hurt Jeep sales - yeah, it could. There's a lot of reasons people buy the JT - contrary to what the purists insist.
I wanted a TRUCK, I wanted a smaller truck. I didn't want a Toyota and VW - forget it. Ford, perhaps, Chevy - meh, ok, maybe (all PERSONAL OPINIONS, nothing more!!!) but my brother has for years had "Jeeps" like the CJ7, various Wranglers and so on. And yeah, I admit there was a bit of envy there. So when I saw the JT - there's my answer, I can be like my little brother and have a "Wrangler" but satisfy my NEED for a truck at the same time.
Had there not been the one part, I'd have looked at a different smaller truck.
But once I got my first JT - everything changed and now "I have no choice" in my mind, it MUST be a Gladiator. If mine was totaled and I was told "go buy a new truck of your choice and we'll pay" I'd go back to Gladiator.
Years ago - not necessarily.
Things changed, my thoughts toward the whole thing, the truck thing and so on changed.
But I can see a lot of people waffling and deciding "I don't need the crazy expense of a Gladiator, I now have another choice" and looking at the Dakota.
Will it impact JT sales "a lot" - I have my doubts. But for sure a few will migrate toward the Dakota to keep it in the "FCA family".
That was part of my reasoning, too - we've had nothing but great luck with Jeep vehicles since I bought my Comanche way back when - so it was another "pro" in in the list - it's a FCA vehicle, a Jeep, even better.

We all like to believe we are typical consumers and others think like we do - or even should if they don't, but it's not the case. Most here are the niche, not the majority.

Sponsored

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can google myself, it also doesn't confirm it is actually coming out in 2024 like it states . Until stillantus actually confirms it coming its just a article on the internet
Great... maybe you should have before you said there hadn't even been any talk about bringing the Dakota back. Was just showing that there has. A LOT of it actually.

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
Agreed.. I suspect the majority of the market for crossover based pickups - maverick, VW, etc, are sedan/crossover owners pulled by the perceived benefits of pickups without the actual need to justify the expense of going for the real deal.
In other words, looks like a pickup and has a usable bed holds more weight than unseen elements like frames, axles, lockers etc.

98% of those on this site are enthusiasts.

Joe Gladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
IMO the lack of info on future Gladiators and all the talk around the new Dakota is not a good sign

Charles 236

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Jeep technician
No point in worrying prematurely. There are probably as many "Dakota" rumors floating around in the internet as there were "Cuda" rumors a few years ago. We know how that turned out.

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Manufacturing
Stillantis wont increase their ESG rating putting a V8 in the gladiator. They definitely wont increase their rating making low mpg 4x4's.

Sponsored

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
IMO the lack of info on future Gladiators and all the talk around the new Dakota is not a good sign
It is disheartening but there could very well be a legitimate reason-- the Dakota and next JT are being designed alongside each other to debut as new models, maybe 24 and 25 respectively.

If that's the case, they get to share R&D costs as well as the parts bin increasing profitability. The Dakota may siphon off a few sales from the JT but as many have said, the JT is a lifestyle vehicle, a Wrangler with a usable bed. A Dakota will go after the non-off road enthusiast owners, daily drivers, and the fleet market. There's no reason why they can't offer a stripped down Tradesman Dakota that takes sales from the GM/Ford/Toyota dealers that weren't buying JT's in the first place.

It is plausible to me that the Dakota/JT would then have a Hurricane and 4xe/hybrid option.

And I'd be really happy if Jeep offers an entry level and High Output (see what I did there) Hurricane, too.

KX L

First Name
KX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CVO Street Glide; 2022 JT Mojave with 6MT
Occupation
Retired
It's the brand separation. Not everyone is willing to buy a Jeep, or knows that they are made by Chrysler. GMC rolled the same trucks out of the factory for decades under two different brand names, each of which had die-hard followers.
Check. Back in the 70's I worked on the line at the St Louis GM plant on Union Blvd and we built both Chevy and GMC trucks on the same line at the same time.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Educational reminder in link below. Yes we are still awaiting a due date and yes there is always a chance these JTs could be a short run like the 04-06 Unlimited two door. The I6 below is as short as some 4 cyl.

Stellantis Media - Stellantis Debuts Hurricane Twin-turbo I-6 Engine That Cuts Emissions, Increases Fuel Economy <em>And</em> Is More Powerful (stellantisnorthamerica.com)
Your statement is not factual and I have explained this in another thread.

The 3.0tt I6 uses the same architecture as the 2.0t I4. What does that mean, they took the 2.0 I4 and added 2 more cylinders to it. That how they can use the pistons and rod. If they share the same cylinder spacing........6 cannot go into 4

3.0 I6 / 6 = .50 liter per cylinder
2.0 I4 /4 = .50 liter per cylinder

REF from the article:
New Member of the Stellantis Propulsion System Family
The 3.0-liter Hurricane twin-turbo I-6 shares design features, including bore and stroke and cylinder spacing, with the globally produced turbocharged 2.0-liter I-4. In North America, the 2.0-liter engine is currently available in the Jeep® Wrangler, Wrangler 4xe, Cherokee and recently launched Grand Cherokee 4xe.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Agreed 100%

I was set on buying a new Silverado ZR2 until I drove my buddies '21 Trailboss.........its too fuckin big for a daily driver that's not going to be used daily for towing and hauling materials........Price wise was only about 10k, because JTs are not cheap for a midsize.

But for $51k for a brand new '23 that does everything I need......done.

I have almost 3500 miles on it now and not one complaint........the turn signal stalk makes me giggle every time I use it....because so many complain about it LOL

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
Jeep JT 8xe LMFAO. The 4xe platform is nice but the range is miserable in EV only. Who knows teh JT will probably die before that happens.
Sponsored