Sponsored

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
https://www.motorauthority.com/news...-tbd-performance-v-8s-dead-for-grand-cherokee

While Morrison wouldn't directly confirm the plug-in hybrid 4xe Gladiator is coming, or when, he said, "Well, we have said it (electrification) will come with all our vehicles. Yep, By 2025." Expect the Gladiator 4xe, likely for model year 2024.

Anyone waiting for the 392 V-8 in the Wrangler to be shoved into the Gladiator is about to be disappointed. "I don't know that we'll ever see a 392 in the Gladiator, to be honest," Morrison said. It's a tougher business case, according to the executive, as Gladiator is only about a third of Wrangler's volume. Same deal for the idea of a Gladiator Xtreme Recon package with 35-inch rubber from the factory. Though, Morrison did note the automaker will continue to offer larger tires and different wheels through the Jeep Performance Parts division.
Not altogether unsurprising that the JT won't get the 392 or XR. Wrangler has volume and direct competition on it's side. I wonder if they're even seeking to compete with Ranger Raptor?

On the 4xe and the ICE component. While the pentastar is used in the Pacifica, if I'm not mistaken, a 4 cylinder is used in each 4xe (2.0 in JLU and GC, 1.3 in Renegade/ Compass).

Jeep has implied that cooling while towing is why the 2.0 wasn't available in the Gladiator. So how does that change for a 4xe?

It was speculated on the Wrangler forum that the 20th Anniversary Rubicon concept may have previewed a new grille for the mid cycle refresh.

Jeep Gladiator 392 and Xtreme Recon Gladiator not happening; but 4xe likely... D256F879-9CCC-4E71-AE36-E59FE0537E8E

While the "slots" appear a bit shorter, eliminating the sheet metal between may yield more cooling area overall.

Could this be how they make the 2.0 work?
Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Xtreme recon was already a poor answer to Sasquatch. Only Rubicon automatic 4drs first, then barely expanded to willys automatic 4drs? Please. It's a joke. If xtreme ever comes to gladiators, it'll be the same restrictions. Automatic only. Rubi and willys only.

Also why stop at 8 inch wide rims? Would 8.5s really have been that hard? Jeep doesn't even want to try to touch the value of a base 2dr bronco sasquatch, and I don't understand why. Maybe once Ford stops fucking up their entire production line and demand and supply are more in line, jeep might have to answer for someone eating their lunch. For now? Ford as a threat is a whisper on the edge of hearing. But eventually growing pains and supply constraints will pass.

As for the 392, it's too rich for my blood. If someone can explain why a v8 is a $3000 option on a ram and a $30000 option on a wrangler, I'm all ears. Is the extra 27k the special intake?

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Xtreme recon was already a poor answer to Sasquatch. Only Rubicon automatic 4drs first, then barely expanded to willys automatic 4drs? Please. It's a joke. If xtreme ever comes to gladiators, it'll be the same restrictions. Automatic only. Rubi and willys only.

Also why stop at 8 inch wide rims? Would 8.5s really have been that hard? Jeep doesn't even want to try to touch the value of a base 2dr bronco sasquatch, and I don't understand why. Maybe once Ford stops fucking up their entire production line and demand and supply are more in line, jeep might have to answer for someone eating their lunch. For now? Ford as a threat is a whisper on the edge of hearing. But eventually growing pains and supply constraints will pass.

As for the 392, it's too rich for my blood. If someone can explain why a v8 is a $3000 option on a ram and a $30000 option on a wrangler, I'm all ears. Is the extra 27k the special intake?
I'd like a factory extreme recon with 5.13 gears, 37s, and an available MT. But otherwise, the 392 doesn't do anything for me, and I couldn't afford it anyway. But I already have a gladiator, so it's easier/cheaper to just mod mine when I need to (to make it more like the XR, I'll never be able to afford a 392 haha)

willhonkforparts

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD & 2008 JKUR
Occupation
Self-loathing
At least part or the reason that JT sales are a third of THE JL is the pricing. "Niche" to Jeep apparently means prohibitively expensive.

Sponsored

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
I mean, I know they did a lot more to the JL platform to accommodate the 392 than just the hydro-glide whateverthefuck, but yea... there's no way the relatively minor tweaks they did account for a 30k price hike.

I can't imagine paying $90k for my Mojave just to make it go a little faster a little quicker, and get way shittier MPG.

Closet Jeep guy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd gen tacoma
https://www.motorauthority.com/news...-tbd-performance-v-8s-dead-for-grand-cherokee

Not altogether unsurprising that the JT won't get the 392 or XR. Wrangler has volume and direct competition on it's side. I wonder if they're even seeking to compete with Ranger Raptor?

On the 4xe and the ICE component. While the pentastar is used in the Pacifica, if I'm not mistaken, a 4 cylinder is used in each 4xe (2.0 in JLU and GC, 1.3 in Renegade/ Compass).

Jeep has implied that cooling while towing is why the 2.0 wasn't available in the Gladiator. So how does that change for a 4xe?

It was speculated on the Wrangler forum that the 20th Anniversary Rubicon concept may have previewed a new grille for the mid cycle refresh.

Jeep Gladiator 392 and Xtreme Recon Gladiator not happening; but 4xe likely... D256F879-9CCC-4E71-AE36-E59FE0537E8E

While the "slots" appear a bit shorter, eliminating the sheet metal between may yield more cooling area overall.

Could this be how they make the 2.0 work?
They already said the Inline 6 would be a hybrid platform as well . So it won't be the 2.0 they use 🤷‍♂️

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator

Just saw an ad for a 2022 392 here in Canada for 140,000$$ like wtf?? Where's the cash going.?

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
2022 is as bad as 1972

That being said, the XR package is actually a good deal when you factor in price of wheels, tires, gears, labor, etc

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ

the Rubicon nameplate is a money printer for Jeep and they're not going to change it until they have to. The Bronco is popular but the queue is still 27 miles long so it's not pulling away buyers who haven't planned far in advance. That will likely change in a few years but Jeep is enjoying their head-start.

Hopefully the mid-model update will bring the Hurricane and some new strategy more akin to Ford... the ability to add the off-road goodies to the lowest of trims has always been a strong point for them.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
I couldn't afford a 392 JT and have no interest in a 4Xe JT.

Hey Jeep! How about make the 5.7L Hemi a $2-$3K option across all the JT trim levels? I would trade mine in tomorrow for one and I'll bet you would sell a ton of them.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red

Jeep doesnt give a shit that a 2dr base sasquatch is 40K and a 2dr rubicon is 43K. The rubicon has so much extra equipment comparitively and the market for stripper 2DR's is so small, that they're not missing out on much of anything.

Ford's best job with sasquatch was convincing people that offering it as a package on "any model" was one hell of a deal! Realistically you're buying a Bronco Rubicon with different options and exterior accents.

As for which engine the JT gets with the 4xe, who knows? Because the 4xe replaces the torque converter with an electric motor, basically any engine that can use the 850 tranny are compatible. The bigger issue is more around packaging the ancillary equipment and then getting all the certs pushed through with the new config. I wouldnt be shocked to see the 3.6 4xe version in 2024 which would be pretty great as the 3.6 is a good base engine that would really benefit from an electric supercharger.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Jeep doesnt give a shit that a 2dr base sasquatch is 40K and a 2dr rubicon is 43K. The rubicon has so much extra equipment comparitively and the market for stripper 2DR's is so small, that they're not missing out on much of anything.

Ford's best job with sasquatch was convincing people that offering it as a package on "any model" was one hell of a deal! Realistically you're buying a Bronco Rubicon with different options and exterior accents.
sasquatch on most models isn't really a great idea. big bend or black diamond or outer banks you're just better off getting a badlands without sasquatch than those models with sasquatch. badlands it's a $2500 35 inch wheel and tire package with a .43 inch lift. Most people would spend at least that on their own 35s and rims so it's actually not a bad deal, assuming you like the rims and dont want larger than 35s. But on base, it's a monster value.

But your 40k to 43k comparison isn't exactly apples to apples. for starters 40k base 2dr sasquatch is including an automatic, whereas your stripped rubi base isn't, so we're already up to 45k. Secondly the base sasquatch is once again more in line with the xtreme recon, which isn't available on a rubi 2dr, but if it were it'd still be a 4k package. so apples to apples it's 40k without a sway disconnect vs what would cost from jeep if available 49k with a sway disconnect.
Sponsored