Sponsored

6.4L V8 Hemi (392) possibly "real world" testing for future Gladiator model

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I'm recalling the rumors about Ford putting a flat plane crank engine in the GT 350. Almost everyone online was saying it was impossible. No way. Can't do it. For just many reasons.

Then the new GT 350 came out. The engine had a flat plane crank. And it pulled to 8,000 RPM.

Thus, if Jeep wants to put a Hemi into a Gladiator, they can make it happen. All they require is the will.
Sponsored

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2022 JLU 392
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
This is stupid - why in the world wouldn't FCA put the practical 5.7 in both the Wrangler and the Gladiator? Sorry all - I own a 392 SRT Durango and while it is great.....I don't want to run Premium fuel in my tank AND get 13 MPG on my DD. Not to mention.....it makes zero sense in the Wrangler being that you can never use that power/torque to haul much more than the current rated weights.

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
+1 on delivering the 5.7 hemi to the jeep lineup. Its 100 horse stronger than the 3.6 and will get decent mpg with cylinder deactivation

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Like I posted in another forum, FCA almost certainly will do this for Wrangler. They have every reason to. First of all it would help them in the fight against the new Bronco. Secondly they've had wild success with stuffing Hemi power into everything else they make. Thirdly they've already got all the R&D finished so it's a simple matter of packaging it and getting it to pass crash testing.

For the Gladiator, it's a totally different can of worms. You notice that the Hurricane engine that's offered in Wrangler is NOT offered in Gladiator, right? That's because towing produces heat, and heat is hard to evacuate from the tight Jeep engine bay. I suspect this is also why the EcoDiesel has been seriously detuned for Jeep use. So, will they attempt to stuff a big V8 into the JT knowing tht people are going to tow with it? I doubt it. I really doubt it.

Having said that, IF and that's a big if...but IF Jeep confirmed 100% that they were going to offer the 392 Hemi in the Gladiator I would be first in line to order one. To hell with the EcoDiesel at that point. 392 Hemi with equal torque, double the horsepower, and none of the expensive maintenance or fuel? YES please, where do I sign?
Curious: at what price point what you say, "Nope, never mind"?

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT shopping
Occupation
Technology
I'm recalling the rumors about Ford putting a flat plane crank engine in the GT 350. Almost everyone online was saying it was impossible. No way. Can't do it. For just many reasons.

Then the new GT 350 came out. The engine had a flat plane crank. And it pulled to 8,000 RPM.

Thus, if Jeep wants to put a Hemi into a Gladiator, they can make it happen. All they require is the will.
And now the fantastic GT350 Flat Plane crank motor is dead. :crying:

A V8 option in the Wrangler/Gladiator would make sense. But it would be better if it was a less specialized (read: uses regular gas) version, and not a $70,000+ "TRX Fighter" high end vehicle.

Sponsored

Buckin

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 1997 TJ 1982 CJ8 Scrambler 1969 K5 Blazer 1968 GTO list goes on
Occupation
Bum
I have about 5,000 miles on my 6.4L hemi powered JTR, including several long trips.

in my opinion, this chassis was made for this Powertrain (yep, includes an 8spd ZF tranny). Fast, smooth and will go anywhere. Jeep would be foolish not to go ahead with this option, but their average fleet fuel mileage will drop!

The three biggest problems with electric are speed of charge, electrical storage and electric generation inefficiencies. These will be solved and when they are watch out, this will be the Powertrain to have!
Wondering who did your conversion? Any overheating issues? Also do you tow with it?
I tow a small enclosed trailer which can hold snowmobiles. When I do tow it( had one Triumph motorcycle in it), I was getting 10 mpg. I have 37’s and 4:88 gears. On hills it will run at 4000 rpm! Most of the time at 3200 rpm. The six has to go!!!

#HuckleberryJeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flowcode.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 5.7 Hemi, '21 JLUR 392, '84 CJ7, '69 CJ5
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Realtor
I'm living with a 5.7 Hemi-swapped JT now and loving every minute of it, but if the 6.4 actually becomes a factory option, I might consider a trade somewhere down the road. Full factory warranty and probably a few minor option upgrades in the next 2 years could potentially be tempting.

#HuckleberryJeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flowcode.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 5.7 Hemi, '21 JLUR 392, '84 CJ7, '69 CJ5
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Realtor
I would lose a bet with wife if they ended up putting a v8 in the gladiator.

The bet was I was done switching vehicles and wasn't going to buy anymore. She gets a 2 door bronco if I lose.
I lost that bet when I said "I'd never sell my JT," then a hemi-swapped one sitting on a lot in Myrtle Beach hit my feed 2 days later :LOL:

unixxx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave, Grand Cherokee SRT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
This is stupid - why in the world wouldn't FCA put the practical 5.7 in both the Wrangler and the Gladiator? Sorry all - I own a 392 SRT Durango and while it is great.....I don't want to run Premium fuel in my tank AND get 13 MPG on my DD. Not to mention.....it makes zero sense in the Wrangler being that you can never use that power/torque to haul much more than the current rated weights.
My guess is they'll go with the 392 until the 3.0L I6 turbo is ready. Likely the 3.0L will replace the 5.7L in many applications. The 5.7L appears to have the worst power to displacement ratio of the lineup right now. It's also the oldest engine in the lineup. It's probably not worth engineering it in if it's on the way out. Whereas the 392 will likely remain for some time in SRT models. The 392 is also detuned and dropped into the 2500/3500 Ram. It could end up being the standard V8 going forward.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Curious: at what price point what you say, "Nope, never mind"?
I've heard a lot of rumors of Jeep pricing the 392 Wrangler at $80k or beyond. I don't see that happening. What would be the point? They already get hate mail over JL pricing as it is. If they double the price just for an engine option they won't do anything except shoot themselves in the foot.

The EcoD is already a $4k upgrade...$6k if you otherwise would have gotten a stick shift. I don't see the 392 Hemi being much more than a loaded 2021 model. The whole point, I think, is to steal thunder from Ford and they aren't going to do that if the JL 392 is $30k more than a nicely equipped Bronco with the 2.7L EcoBust making close to the same power, and more power with a simple tuner.

Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Wondering who did your conversion? Any overheating issues? Also do you tow with it?
I tow a small enclosed trailer which can hold snowmobiles. When I do tow it( had one Triumph motorcycle in it), I was getting 10 mpg. I have 37’s and 4:88 gears. On hills it will run at 4000 rpm! Most of the time at 3200 rpm. The six has to go!!!
Rubitrux in Boone, NC. Yes, I tow in fact I’ll be towing my ‘64 Corvette from Atlanta to NY in a few weeks.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Totally agree. If I wanted a sporty car, I couldn't make a worse choice than a Gladiator with a hemi. I love sports cars, but have precisely ZERO interest in big 4x4 trucks with ultra-hipo engines. It's like putting a 426 in your forklift. Sure, it can be done, but really, you're battling its nature.

Diesel and the 4xe drivetrains are my interest for a truck. The diesel (for obvious reasons, TQ, range, etc) and the 4xe because I def do NOT want a full electric (far too limiting) and the 20+ mile EV-only range of the 4xe means I could do the occasional around-town errands and only visit the gas station when going off-road or out on the highway.

If they'd offer the 4xe in the Gladiator, I'd buy one tomorrow, but knowing Jeep's glacial speed, we probably won't see one until 2024, so don't hold your breath.
There is a huge difference in speculating on paper and driving in person. It has nothing to do with a sports car, that’s laughable. It is all about power to match the frame, towing, torque management and road manners. Yes, it is expensive to make the conversion and operate given the best mpg I’ve achieved is 15 on the highway. However, for me these are not detractors.

The torque Range is perfect for Towing with the gearing in the 8spd ZF a perfect match for the 4.10 rear and 37s on my JTR. It was purpose built, has an upgraded radiator and aux tranny cooler and on the hottest days in Texas, the temp gauge stays solidly in the middle of the range. I can take a significant grade towing 5000 pounds at 65, stay in 8th without losing speed or straining the engine.

The speculation on the Dana 44s and drive shafts being weak is just that with little reason for worry. Yes, shock during rock crawling or sever off-roading may break things, but that is no different than the risk with the 3.6 if you know what you are doing.

Anyway, we are all entitled to our opinion, but the speculation and bold statements without empirical evidence are not helpful. They are also not aligned with my real world experience.

Last edited:

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
These are great points. Yes in my posts on the 6.4 i was thinking about breaking under high load offroading situations. I’ve had a car with that motor and its a monster. Hellcat gets all the press but 6.4L is a beast of an NA motor.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2015 911 C2S
I could see them putting the 6.4 from the HD 2500, which I had and its a beast as well but is built to handle abuse from towing. Putting the 6.4 from the SRT vehicles could take away from the point of the gladiator, which is still a light-duty truck. Not saying I wouldn't love one, but its already well over the competition price point, a big V8 only adds to that separation.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I could see them putting the 6.4 from the HD 2500, which I had and its a beast as well but is built to handle abuse from towing. Putting the 6.4 from the SRT vehicles could take away from the point of the gladiator, which is still a light-duty truck. Not saying I wouldn't love one, but its already well over the competition price point, a big V8 only adds to that separation.
To me a powerful V8 in the Gladiator is a novelty. As Kent5 said, the EcoDiesel and 4xe make more sense, to me. I would have gotten a turbo 4 gas if 1) they offered it in a Gladiator, and 2) if they paired it with the MT. Since neither are likely to happen, I am perfectly content with the V6.

However, as Factoid said, these are just my opinions.

In the final analysis, I think if Jeep can offer the 6.4 along with other engine options, and sell them at a price point that people will buy, it's all good.
Sponsored