8 Speed Automatic Regrets?

BGH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Finance
Why yes-it was a Tacoma 2020 OR LB auto and I hated it. Traded for the rubicon 6 speed and am now much, much happier. I drive this in a place with lots of steep streets and traffic jams and I still love it. Makes me smile every time I drive it.
Sponsored

J3colt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon
After 35 years of driving a manual, I've been loving the 8 speed slushbox...of course muscle memory has me looking for a clutch every now and again. No regrets here.

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
I refuse to drive a manual transmission in a Jeep or truck that doesn't have a granny low first gear.
On another note. Does anyone remember when a manual transmission would last forever if it wasn't run dry? Since about 1990 manual transmissions seem to need rebuilding just like an auto. The T-4 and T-5's in CJ's were terrible.
How low is low enough? The NSG370 in my TJ has a 4.46 first, then the 4:1 tcase and 5.13s, it's pretty slow. I love idling through shit without a torque converter, it just feels so determined. You can full on stand on the brakes and the 4.0 doesn't change idle a bit. Obviously not that inifnitely low automatic crawl ratio, and in the end not as capable, but I find a manual to be waaaay more fun in the rocks.

Also, I've had several AX15s, NSG370s, and T56s at this point and none of them were ever rebuilt or needed rebuilding, aside from the tower springs in one of the AX's.

Not to mention the countless whatever brand manuals I've had in my old Toyotas, MR2s, Celicas, a Corolla, 4 Runner... none ever needed work. But those were all '92 or earlier.

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Low enough? I would say as long as the engine won’t die in first gear in 2-hi idling. I would be happy with that. In 4-low I would like it not to die in first no matter what. You really can’t compare Japanese cars to American trucks as far as manual transmissions go, Apples to Oranges. The AX Jeep transmissions, Getrag’s and NV’s behind Cummins motors have all given me problems. I love standards, have more than I do autos. However, Rock crawler has a T400 and JL/JT are both autos. No manual option for diesels.

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2021 BMW M2, 2012 Monster 1100evo
Occupation
Business Intelligence
I have a manual Mojave; slow AF and gets 13-14 mpg.
My friends dad let me drive his automatic Rubicon; felt quicker and noticed he gets 20 mpg on the highway somehow.

I'm a manual enthusiast so there is no way I was going to pass on that, but after driving the auto I kind of regret not getting it. Not enough to trade in mine for one, but like yeah that might have been worth $2k.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Granny gears are super underrated and the one thing I hope the Bronco forces back into the market. Having access to a super low gear on the fly is so effing nice and it's way more functional than doing the reduction in the transfer case like the Rubi does. Outside a twin stick, I can't think of a better combo.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Jeep Gladiator 8 Speed Automatic Regrets? 1655913198494

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Granny gears are super underrated and the one thing I hope the Bronco forces back into the market. Having access to a super low gear on the fly is so effing nice and it's way more functional than doing the reduction in the transfer case like the Rubi does. Outside a twin stick, I can't think of a better combo.
I was curious so I looked it up and for anybody else wondering, 6.59 crawler gear in the Bronco.

I'd take that plus the 4:1 tcase thank you very much. I wish there was room in my TJ for double boxes

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I was curious so I looked it up and for anybody else wondering, 6.59 crawler gear in the Bronco.

I'd take that plus the 4:1 tcase thank you very much. I wish there was room in my TJ for double boxes
The atlas 4-speed is probably what you want though I'm sure the price is not.

Sponsored

Wilber7

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Ive had manuals all my life (8 wranglers) and loved them all esp my rubys. I've gotten older and my new DD is a Ruby gladiator 2021. I love it. Good power and great tranny. If I am using 4x4 low it block down to a low gear.

Wilber7

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Funny thing about the new manual clutch. It seems as though they have gotten weaker. to me it is hard to sense it engaging. All my others felt strong and had a great push to the pedal. I had an 18 just before this gladiator and I had little confidence in it. On my new Ruby gladiator I chose an automatic and feel its better.

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
i love the 8 speed especially with the Borla i have. I think it sounds super cool.

Dusty Rag

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
I know you’re asking for people who bought the auto but I went with the manual this time around. I had a 2019 ram 1500 5.7 auto before this which I think has a similar transmission . I had no complaints with the auto as it did its job well. But it was as boring as boring gets with an auto. But maybe that’s what you want out of a DD. For me, I did not and it just didn’t have that soul that a manual has. So when I ordered my gladiator I got the manual. For me I just wanted a manual Jeep truck so that’s what I got. I’ve had manuals all my life and I actually think this manual is by far the best I’ve ever had. My only regrets is that Jeep didn’t sell the diesel with the manual ha. The 3.6 has been great though. Honestly having the simplicity of the gaser and manual transmission makes me glad I went this route too. Saved money up front and have less stuff to worry about going wrong in the future. Anyways, my advice is this. Buy what makes you happy. If that’s the auto, get that. If it’s the manual, get that. The most important thing is that you actually like to drive it. Not all the numbers associated with the different options. For me the manual puts a smile on my face and is a joy to drive. No regrets.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got a ride in a Pinzgauer. Its lowest gear was so low the speed was measured in feet per minute!!

It also had a hand throttle so you could set a speed and take your foot off the gas. I believe the super low gear and hand throttle were intended for agricultural use. Like pulling a reaper.
Sponsored