AEV 2” spacer lift vs Mopar 2”

tonywin

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I asked this question and was surprised by some responses.
I thought basically any aftermarket lift that included control arms would allow far more articulation than the OEM rubber clevite bushings, and be superior for crawling. OEM isn’t bad for NVH suppression.
Somebody showed me a pic of their spacer lifted jeep totally flexed out so it’s not like OEM arms won’t do it, just not quite as extreme as like a Metalcloak or Johnny joint or advanced bushing design like teraflex alpine or RK adventure pro, etc.
I’ve got an AEV spacer lift and geometry brackets and am very happy. I want to upgrade from the Rubicon shocks, so my next decision is either stick with spacers and upgrade shocks, or also upgrade arms and springs as well. To be honest I probably would be perfectly satisfied with just spacers and upgraded shocks.
This is what I did. I kept my spacers but got Fox 2.0 external reservoirs for a 2-3" lift and got rid of the shock extensions. Rides fantastic.

I am contemplating moving to a coil lift just because I want a little more lift to 3" instead of just 2.
Sponsored

Tart_Cart

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 STI, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Travel HCW
I asked this question and was surprised by some responses.
I thought basically any aftermarket lift that included control arms would allow far more articulation than the OEM rubber clevite bushings, and be superior for crawling. OEM isn’t bad for NVH suppression.
Somebody showed me a pic of their spacer lifted jeep totally flexed out so it’s not like OEM arms won’t do it, just not quite as extreme as like a Metalcloak or Johnny joint or advanced bushing design like teraflex alpine or RK adventure pro, etc.
I’ve got an AEV spacer lift and geometry brackets and am very happy. I want to upgrade from the Rubicon shocks, so my next decision is either stick with spacers and upgrade shocks, or also upgrade arms and springs as well. To be honest I probably would be perfectly satisfied with just spacers and upgraded shocks.

This is exactly what I was thinking and realistically how many of us REALLY need that extra articulation that the other kits offer? I sure won't and for 2k+ for a quality full lift you can count me out. I'm very much a beginner and this aev kit will be perfect for my needs.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
This is what I did. I kept my spacers but got Fox 2.0 external reservoirs for a 2-3" lift and got rid of the shock extensions. Rides fantastic.

I am contemplating moving to a coil lift just because I want a little more lift to 3" instead of just 2.
Do you know what part number shocks you have?

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
my one question is those who say if you go wheeling you should get a real lift, would the spacer kit not retain the oem suspension flexing abilities? I absolutely plan to wheel more and the spacer kit with 37s is my plan to get a solid beginner's wheeler.

I would think the spacer kit and bigger tires would simply allow me some more ground clearance, without hindering the trucks current offroad performance. Correct?
That is my question as well, did you ever get an answer?
I started typing one a couple days ago then chose not to reply since I don't have my Gladiator yet, and I don't have first hand experience with the suspension geometry. I'm also not a professional. But I have installed both fully adjustable and budget suspensions on TJ/XJ/ZJ/MJ/JK and wheeled many of them.

Every suspension setup has a limit to up travel and a limit to down travel. It depends on what your limiting factor is. On older Jeeps like my TJ, the factory arms were so short and stubby that a spacer lift meant you had less down travel from control arm binding alone. Better articulating joints were a requirement, and even then you had interference with parts all over. There were a lot of things that would get in the way.

I suspect on the Gladiator the limit to down travel in stock form is probably the shocks. And if you space them down 2" along with the springs, my guess would be the shocks would still be the limiting factor, thanks to the much longer arms on these new Jeeps. And if you use the control arm drop brackets, then that eliminates that possibility as well. Assuming you have enough brake line, of course. I just don't have first hand experience.

Up travel should be limited with your bump stops. And bump stops should be set to prevent whatever contact comes first- generally fully collapsed shocks, coil bind, or contact between tire and fender. And on a well set up suspension all of those will happen at about the same time.

My gladiator is on order and I have 37s and a 2" IRO spacer lift in my garage for it. But if it doesn't ride/drive/wheel to my liking, I'll be planning on Johnny Joints all around and new springs/shocks or whatever it needs to get what I want.

TLDR: I suspect the shocks will still be the limiting factor for both your up and down travel when using a spacer lift for both, and total articulation will remain unchanged.

Last edited:

Sponsored

tonywin

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
This is exactly what I was thinking and realistically how many of us REALLY need that extra articulation that the other kits offer? I sure won't and for 2k+ for a quality full lift you can count me out. I'm very much a beginner and this aev kit will be perfect for my needs.
It's a great lift and very high quality. With AEV, you know you're getting a good product. I have no complaints in ride quality and no squeaks etc. It should fit your needs just fine and at a fraction of the cost.

bhadfield

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Ditto... May look at the longer shocks when I need to replace them but for now running the AEV 2" spacer on a Rubicon and it has been great.

Ar4130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, JT
Ditto... May look at the longer shocks when I need to replace them but for now running the AEV 2" spacer on a Rubicon and it has been great.
Same here. AEV spacer kit. No issues/noises. Also run a JKS adj front track bar and the longer Mopar LCAs for now. I plan on going back to stock length LCAs and adding geo brackets soon tho.

Holes

Banned
Banned
First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Driver / Welder / Father
I went with the AEV spacer kit. I like it just fine. I have the AEV 3.5” DS on my JKUR and love it. I really don’t need more spring on the JTR. It has the articulation I need. The spacers raise the belly enough for me. The JK needed more lift, so the full kit was needed. I like my JT Rubi springs and shocks and didn’t like the idea of tossing them.. I’m happy with the choice. Good luck with yours.

Before and after shots with stock tires and wheels. Bigger tires coming when I spot the next good sale.

4AF49463-2EAC-4B41-B566-720AA22C423A.jpeg

EE63CF70-C223-45B1-8C54-A2EBECCDE58E.jpeg
I don’t think AEV has a 3.5” lift...

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4,,, '14 Wrangler JKUR
Occupation
Done with it
My thoughts of my Frankinlift for now is Synergy 2 ich springs and adjustable CA's. F & R adj track bars. A rear track bar axle mount. Then I'll contact Accutune for the correct length shocks so I don't have to add a bunch of stop spacer and loose travel. I'll fine tine it with spacers if needed. Synergy says their 2 inch springs add exactly 2 inches to a Rubicon, front and rear.

leopardprey

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Martial Arts Teacher /Semi-Retired
Been debating myself between the AEV spacer kit and the Mopar kit on my gladiator Rubicon.
Sponsored