Sponsored

All differences between Rubicon and Sport with Max Tow?

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Correction, you and ACAD_Cowboy made it specifically about the 40s. I stated in the opening post that 40's are part of what I'm aiming for, as part of the question on which direction (trim level) to go with. You turned it into a debate by insisting I'm fundamentally wrong for wanting to eventually upgrade whichever trim I get to the stated specs.
ā€˜Can I ask you a couple of questions and I understand if you donā€™t want to provide them on a public forum...

1. How old are you?

2. What do you do for a living?

ā€˜Thanks.
Sponsored

SgtMajTomahawk

First Name
Lawren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Correction, you and ACAD_Cowboy made it specifically about the 40s. I stated in the opening post that 40's are part of what I'm aiming for, as part of the question on which direction (trim level) to go with. You turned it into a debate by insisting I'm fundamentally wrong for wanting to eventually upgrade whichever trim I get to the stated specs.
Honestly man it's your Jeep and you can do whatever the hell you want to do with it. It's none of my business or anyone ele's. If you can afford Dana 60s and 40s then good for you man go for it!

As far as getting a Rubicon vs a Max Tow I will say this. I have the Max Tow because I couldn't afford the Rubicon, but I knew I would be adding 35s right away and couldn't afford to re gear for 37s, which is MY goal down the road. I came from a 2011 JKU Sport S with 3.73 gears and the dog of a 3.8l V6. After going to a 4in lift and 35s on my JK I had to go to 5.13 gears just to push 35s. (It only had a 4 speed auto)

Move ahead to my JT Max Tow and the sole purpose for getting the max tow was the 4.10 gears with the 8 speed auto. What I was able to do was hit the local online yard sales and get take off Rubicon parts and basically add all the Rubicon stuff like fox shocks and rock rails for very cheap. My advice is if you are planning on stripping your Jeep down and building it up to D60s and 40s you do not need to waste money on a Rubicon. The only thing I don't have that the Rubicons have is the E lockers and I knew I would be putting in air lockers eventually anyway. It all comes down to what you can afford and what kind of wheeling you plan on doing. I live in Florida so we don't get to slam our rigs on rocks so D60s and 40s are not a big deal here. What is a big deal is a good winch because we have a lot of mud and I see dudes running 37s and 40s still bottoming out needing a strap or winch.

You really have to build your rig according to your needs and if you want something for looks then that's ok too. I have found that both my Sport JK and JT have been more capable offroad than I thought they would be. With all the electronic training wheels on these new Jeeps I have friends with Rubicons tell me they rarely if at all use their lockers. They use the E sway bar disconnect more than anything and difference is I have to get out and disconnect mine, but I actually get more flex doing it manually. Anyway, you see where I am going. If money was no object I would have gotten a Rubicon, because it's a status thing and it has some cool stuff like the hood and the bigger screen, etc. 90% of the people who buy Rubicons will never in the life of that vehicle do anything more than sit at the burger joint on a Friday night and feel good about their Rubicon sticker on the hood. The ones that are out actually wheeling don't give a shit about some hood sticker. Just my 2cents.

BTW that badass EVO JT with the 40s and D60s and all those bells and whistles? It started out as a Max Tow for the exact reason I stated. Why by a Rubicon if you are just going to waste money by stripping it all off anyway?

OP
OP
Elanachan

Elanachan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep TJ Wrangler Sport, 2014 Toyota Prius
Vehicle Showcase
I would have gotten a Rubicon, because it's a status thing and it has some cool stuff like the hood and the bigger screen, etc. 90% of the people who buy Rubicons will never in the life of that vehicle do anything more than sit at the burger joint on a Friday night and feel good about their Rubicon sticker on the hood. The ones that are out actually wheeling don't give a shit about some hood sticker. Just my 2cents.

Why by a Rubicon if you are just going to waste money by stripping it all off anyway?
Thanks for bringing things back on topic. I personally think of the Rubicon trim's status and think "neat, do you ever leave the pavement?". Around where I am it's actually quite common to see stock 4x4s, be it jeeps or other manufacturers, that show evidence of recent offroading (mud splatter), even if it turns out to be an unpaved driveway. I'm often tempted to roll my eyes when I see a spotless Rubicon, or anything with an obvious lift on it, especially if it's in the city where the chances are higher that the owner is using it's appearance to compensate for something completely unrelated to what it was designed to do...once or twice I've even seen one that had been given 22 inch rims, low profile tires and spinners. :facepalm:

Despite pouring over both trims on Jeep's site, I was having a hard time finding a complete list of the standard features included in both trims. I wanted to know if there was anything included in the Rubicon that could not be gotten aftermarket, and had to be ordered from the factory. As stated much earlier in the thread, there are some small things like the 110 outlet on the back of the center console that are unavailable with the sport model. Other than stuff like that, my main motivation to get the Rubicon trim is probably to get some of the options I want installed at the factory instead of getting them after the initial construction, namely the steel bumper (which I still like more than the aftermarket options out there, atleast until AEV finally released their's) and the trailcam.

It's possible that with modifications, the Rubicon hood could be made more functional with modifications to provide better cooling, and might be something to look into to help it's performance more in high temperatures. My second reason to pick the Rubicon trim would be for greater bone stock capability so that I could go play on some of the more challenging trails while I bide my time saving up for the upgrades. Unless we figure something out through a offroad shop, like was mentioned earlier regarding building it up and making it part of the payment plan for the vehicle as a whole, there would be a significant period of time between the initial purchase and installing the upgrades, which would likely be done in stages.

SgtMajTomahawk

First Name
Lawren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Thanks for bringing things back on topic. I personally think of the Rubicon trim's status and think "neat, do you ever leave the pavement?". Around where I am it's actually quite common to see stock 4x4s, be it jeeps or other manufacturers, that show evidence of recent offroading (mud splatter), even if it turns out to be an unpaved driveway. I'm often tempted to roll my eyes when I see a spotless Rubicon, or anything with an obvious lift on it, especially if it's in the city where the chances are higher that the owner is using it's appearance to compensate for something completely unrelated to what it was designed to do...once or twice I've even seen one that had been given 22 inch rims, low profile tires and spinners. :facepalm:

Despite pouring over both trims on Jeep's site, I was having a hard time finding a complete list of the standard features included in both trims. I wanted to know if there was anything included in the Rubicon that could not be gotten aftermarket, and had to be ordered from the factory. As stated much earlier in the thread, there are some small things like the 110 outlet on the back of the center console that are unavailable with the sport model. Other than stuff like that, my main motivation to get the Rubicon trim is probably to get some of the options I want installed at the factory instead of getting them after the initial construction, namely the steel bumper (which I still like more than the aftermarket options out there, atleast until AEV finally released their's) and the trailcam.

It's possible that with modifications, the Rubicon hood could be made more functional with modifications to provide better cooling, and might be something to look into to help it's performance more in high temperatures. My second reason to pick the Rubicon trim would be for greater bone stock capability so that I could go play on some of the more challenging trails while I bide my time saving up for the upgrades. Unless we figure something out through a offroad shop, like was mentioned earlier regarding building it up and making it part of the payment plan for the vehicle as a whole, there would be a significant period of time between the initial purchase and installing the upgrades, which would likely be done in stages.
Truth is if someone wants to buy a Rubicon and slap 22in wheels on it and a bunch of lights just to be a show Jeep then by all means they should go for it. Everybody has their own likes and dislikes and nobody should ever tell someone else they are wrong for what they like. Now we all have opinions based on what we personally like, but they are just that, opinions.

I think the big items you won't get with a max tow versus a Rubicon are the lockers and the sway bar disconnect. Besides that it's cosmetics really. The fenders are nice, the power dome hood with the fake air vents looks cool, but not functional at all. You can get the 8.4in infotainment system in the max tow if you want it. When you really think about it there isn't one thing in the Rubicon you cannot get aftermarket for your Jeep on any trim level. Aftermarket parts, assuming you are buying quality stuff, are going to be way better quality and handle way more abuse than anything from the factory.

So it boils down to price. A Rubicon is somewhere around $55k for a brand new JT Gladiator and I think I got my Max Tow for around $36 after all the negotiating and discounts and I got a pretty decked out Sport S it wasn't bare bones. That's what? almost $20k difference for fake hood scoops, lockers, and electric sway disco? Imagine what $15k or $20k can buy aftermarket?

Get what puts a smile on your face. That's what matters.

OP
OP
Elanachan

Elanachan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious how you were able to get the price that low. When I go through the build site for both trims, minus the active safety group and the adaptive cruse control, the Sport S comes out to an MSRP of $47,350, with the Rubicon coming to $57,560. That's the dual top group, tan interior (leather on the Rubicon), the 8.4" audio group, windshield tiedowns, all weather mats, tow package (max tow on sport), cold weather group, aux switch group and cargo management w/trail rail. The trim specific addons are the convenience group on the Sport S, and the steel bumper and trailcam on the Rubicon, which also mandate the addition of the LED headlights.

Sponsored

SgtMajTomahawk

First Name
Lawren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I'm curious how you were able to get the price that low. When I go through the build site for both trims, minus the active safety group and the adaptive cruse control, the Sport S comes out to an MSRP of $47,350, with the Rubicon coming to $57,560. That's the dual top group, tan interior (leather on the Rubicon), the 8.4" audio group, windshield tiedowns, all weather mats, tow package (max tow on sport), cold weather group, aux switch group and cargo management w/trail rail. The trim specific addons are the convenience group on the Sport S, and the steel bumper and trailcam on the Rubicon, which also mandate the addition of the LED headlights.
You're doing the build through the Jeep web page. That's all MSRP. You have to go to a dealer and negotiate with them. There's a trade in if you have one, cash rebates, etc. When I built one through the Jeep page it came out to $46000. I found a Sport S at a dealer for $42 and got it down to $36000. You have to shop around.

Matt84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I looked on cars.com and found a new rubicon with 17 miles on it for $39k. Granted that is pretty much base rubicon but still $4k less than Jeepā€™s MSRP

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer

I don't think you can get LEDs on the sport s, and that was one of the required options for me - the others being tow package and 8.4 uconnect. The 110 outlet is kind of useless, you have to have acc on which shuts off automatically after 20-30 minutes. You could put the leds in aftermarket but I wanted everything under warranty - I'm done doing any repair work on my DD. If anything breaks it's up to Jeep to fix it.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I don't think you can get LEDs on the sport s, and that was one of the required options for me - the others being tow package and 8.4 uconnect. The 110 outlet is kind of useless, you have to have acc on which shuts off automatically after 20-30 minutes. You could put the leds in aftermarket but I wanted everything under warranty - I'm done doing any repair work on my DD. If anything breaks it's up to Jeep to fix it.
I thought you could get all those in the Sport S now?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Elanachan

Elanachan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have yet to have a vehicle equipped with LED lights that weren't standard, what's more, all of the previous offroad vehicles I, or my family have had, including rentals, were either halogen or even incandescent bulbs, as such I personally don't actually mind having halogens, but I also haven't seen much in the way of comparison between them and LED lights.

Matt84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I have yet to have a vehicle equipped with LED lights that weren't standard, what's more, all of the previous offroad vehicles I, or my family have had, including rentals, were either halogen or even incandescent bulbs, as such I personally don't actually mind having halogens, but I also haven't seen much in the way of comparison between them and LED lights.
Everything Iā€™ve read about LED lights says they are brighter but donā€™t necessarily project light any farther than Halogen. Personal preference definitely comes into play with them.

I donā€™t have a JT yet, so everything I post is based on research Iā€™ve done. I have 4 kids, with my oldest heading to college next year so the time to buy isnā€™t right for me yet.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Everything Iā€™ve read about LED lights says they are brighter but donā€™t necessarily project light any farther than Halogen. Personal preference definitely comes into play with them.

I donā€™t have a JT yet, so everything I post is based on research Iā€™ve done. I have 4 kids, with my oldest heading to college next year so the time to buy isnā€™t right for me yet.

LEDs make a huge difference on jl/lt jeeps. I definitely have led envy. Most important thing a Rubicon gets is the 4-1 transfer case. That's probably going to run 3500$+ second hand. That plus 2 lockers is all that's important.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I found my Max Tow Sport on the dealers lot for $33,000 brand new. Only had 3 miles on the OD. I was out the door at just over $36,000 after paying $1,000 for out.of pocket for one of the warranties, which they just took it off the amount I sold them my JKU for. Ended up leaving with $10,000 in my pocket.

As far as LEDs go I added Hakari Led Bulbs for the headlights and Loyo full replacement leds for the Foglights and swapped out the running lights for Led Sylvania Bulbs. They are definitely brighter than halogen and project farther than Halogen as well, or at least the stock Halogens. I was able to maintain most of the stock look of the lights by doing this and stayed around $85 for everything.
MVIMG_20200313_211207.jpg
MVIMG_20200313_212614.jpg
Foglight replacements below. About as close to stock as I could find, cost $30 for a pair
MVIMG_20200302_185013.jpg

OP
OP
Elanachan

Elanachan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
LEDs make a huge difference on jl/lt jeeps. I definitely have led envy. Most important thing a Rubicon gets is the 4-1 transfer case. That's probably going to run 3500$+ second hand. That plus 2 lockers is all that's important.
Thankyou for reminding me about the transfer case, that might be one of the primary reasons to consider the rubicon despite the modifications I have in mind.
Sponsored