Sponsored

Any reason to avoid Manual Transmission?

elarse1

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
I was warned by local dealership that I should go with automatic transmission because manual transmission may be experiencing some issues? Sounded fishy.. Any truth? I'd love to get manual! I miss driving it!
There is an open recall on the manual about overheating if the torque/temperature is too high (solution pending), but I've never experienced any issues. Other than gears 5 & 6 having zero power, I really like my MT, very smooth shifting and very solid feel. The MT was the reason I went Jeep!

-Erik
Sponsored

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
There is an open recall on the manual about overheating if the torque/temperature is too high (solution pending), but I've never experienced any issues. Other than gears 5 & 6 having zero power, I really like my MT, very smooth shifting and very solid feel. The MT was the reason I went Jeep!

-Erik
Please know that if you have bought a MT Gladiator in last few months, it has already had the recall update. I got mine in late March and it already has it. Not sure when the cut off began, but the dealer can tell you.

Mojave Gladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave | Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Purchased mine 3 weeks ago, the software had been re-flashed as well. The build date on my Mojave is October 2020.

Sponsored

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
As much as the thought of a manual 6 speed intrigues me, I have to say I'm very happy with the 8 speed automatic transmission, its smooth as butter and I've not had it slip or high-rev once. Whoever built it seems to know what they were doing.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
if you have to go auto you can't go wrong, the pentastar 8-spd is one of the best set up auto vehicles i have ever driven, i put about 145k kms on my 2014 ram and always impressed by it and always praise it, always will, you can't go wrong in your choices with gladiators, the manual is simply for a different experience that is so much more for dirving enthusiasts who crave so much more engagement and connectivity to the vehicle, the manual engages all hands and feet, it engages you to the entire driving experience so much more...anyway, good to have choices, i would have paid 2k extra for the manual and i'm not alone, i wish i could always have a manual option

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Simply put in this day and age auto's are better than manuals in every way.

There is no quantifiable reason to "want" a manual.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Not in every way. They aren't as much fun!

!

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...

Can you push start your automatic if the battery dies? Nope. Not saying it would be easy BUT I can do it. Also - driving the 6MT keeps me involved. I can't eat, play with my phone etc. I have to drive. Those are good enough for me. My kids will learn to drive stick too. When they buy their own cars they can do whatever they want but if I'm supplying the vehicle it will be a manual. Finally - with a 6MT you get to have this which just makes me smile:

Jeep Gladiator Any reason to avoid Manual Transmission? 1620330051583

Sponsored

OVERLORD

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I tow, so I went automatic. Drove a stick JT, just to see. It did not feel like a good match to the power characteristics of the engine. Some articles support this. Take one for a test drive and see what you think. There is a recall on JT manuals for clutch overheating and fires. Good luck with your choice.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd

interesting quote, you have a motorbike in your avatar, is it an auto? here your avatar shows a passion machine that is useless for moving anything other than yourself, requires all four hands/feet to operate and you're dismissing the desires and passions you have for two wheeled experience for those with four wheels? interesting viewpoint, but a wrong one lol, i sold my motorbike once i was able to engage with 4 wheels like i enjoyed with 2 wheels, and since i rode v-twin i used the money from the bike to put a better soundtrack (equally important to me) in the jeep and there's a couple thousand watts and some subs under backseat, as the magnaflow exhaust is pretty good....not quite as good as a v-twin but now with exhaust and stereo that i can hear with t-roofs off...par....and now i'm only insuring and parking one machine and my smiles per mile are just as maxed if not more, and being canadian only could use the motorbike for but mere hours per year in comparison to this manual jeep unicorn freedom machine which i get to drive every day and take everyone and everything with me...so my annual smiles per miles are in another league compared to what motorbike gave me

so there's that...never discount a manual transmission again Sir...you just plum got that one wrong, and your hypocrisy in your statement was instant having that motorbike right there in your avatar beside your words ;)

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)

Crawling off road with a manual, with its solid transmission of power to the wheels that allows you to do so with your feet off the clutch and brake, is so much better than in an automatic where you're contantly fighting its slipping and surging torque converter.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Having had a XJ 5sp for 20 years, the 5 speed is fine for regular trails, but when you start getting into nasty hill climbs, crack straddling, steps, ect, then it can become a handful, and you will wish you could grow a 3rd foot. Nothing like trying to feather a clutch, with the nose pointed skyward, and the drivers door leaned over good while the other foot try's to keep pressure on the brake and work the gas..... There are obstacles where you will have to stop and regroup at and restart a different line, that is where a manual sucks.

a 4:1 transfer case really helps and with such low gears lets the truck walk up and down stuff at idle giving you plenty of time to watch your lines.

If you plan to rock crawl get a auto, if you are doing basic trails have fun with the 6 speed.
Sponsored