Sponsored

Anyone have a JKU and a Gladiator - i am thinking of going back

coalcracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2007 2-door Wrangler X
Thanks to everyone for input - i have had jeeps from cjs on up. I guess the bigger (wider)and more comfortable they get i start looking back at older models longingly. I think i need to drive a JLU and a JKU again. I actually went JKU to xterra pro4x and JT overland.
I think that’s a good idea. I think about my older Jeeps from time to time. I had a ‘97XJ that I still regret selling, but I had to do it at the time. I think that’s why I wanted to hold on to my JK because I’m at a point in my life where I can afford to keep it In addition to my JT.

Now I will say something that will make some Jeep purists angry: Sometimes I think about a TJ or another XJ. I drove a friend’s TJ fairly recently and that was enough to put those thoughts aside, at least for now. Not saying I hate TJs, but I also don’t think I’d want one of those as my primary vehicle anymore. Horrible on-road characteristics (I know it was never meant to be comfortable) and at least for the kind of off-road trails I do, I don’t need the short wheelbase and tiny size where you can fit barely any gear and you have to make trade-offs between things like camping and recovery gear or dogs.

So … yeah. I’ll stick with my JK and JT. I’m getting older now so I care more about comfort on the road to get me to my off road destinations. :)
Sponsored

Dog Dad

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler ,2023Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
My wife has a 2021 Geco green 2 dr. Wrangler and I have a 2023 Sting Gray Gladiator I wouldn't trade either one for anything!!

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Well, i'm going to go from a JT to a JL 2 door

jcarbs

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tahoe
I've had a "14 JKU and it was nice, but had to trade it in for a more family friendly vehicle. i.e. Had to haul grandkids. Later purchased a 2010 2 door Jk which because of major mechanical issues was eventually traded in on the Gladiator. I'm extremely happy with the Gladiator and would not trade it for a 4 door JK or JL. I wish I had the space and money that I could afford to have a 2 door manual TJ just for the fun of it, but don't think my wife would go for it.

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Here's a pic of "the Girls":
Jeep Gladiator Anyone have a JKU and a Gladiator - i am thinking of going back 00_TheGirls

From left to right: my wife's "mostly stock" 2018 JKUR, my 2016 JKUR (2" lift on 35's) and our 2020JTR (2.5" lift on 37's). As @ShadowsPapa alluded to already, you are kinda comparing apples and oranges (or maybe Granny Smith's to Honey Crisps).

My wife DD's the 2018. I'm retired, so on a day where I'm willing to put on pants and leave the house, I'll drive either of the desert (paint colors are Mojave and Gobi) Jeeps depending on my mood. If we are running trails with my buddy, we take the two JKUR's; because they are a bit more maneuverable and usable on harder trails. The JTR is primarily used for overlanding adventures; but I'll stretch her legs and wheel her on local trails occasionally.

I used to have the 2016 set up for overlanding and it was great but certainly love the space of the Gladiator. Admittedly, the Gladiator has a nicer interior and drivetrain (thanks to the sweet ZF8(?) transmission) than the two JKU's but it's newer too and was bought with better options.

Bottom line for me: I would choose the Wrangler if I wanted to wheel (see note below) and the Gladiator if I needed the space to carry anything. I do still love them both.

NOTE: before anyone gets all puffed up and jumps down my throat saying "my Gladiator will out-wheel any Wrangler...", I'm simply stating that with better breakover and departure angles, shorter wheelbase, etc., the Wrangler handles things a bit more efficiently given the same lift and tires.

Sponsored

audibahn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT, 2013 JKUR
I have both a JKUR and a JT. The JKU is for getting in trouble on offroad trails. The JT is my daily driver with towing duty and little dirt time. If I had to pick only one, it would be the JT as it does a bit of everything without being great at any of it. I have considered many times selling the JKU and getting back into an LJ.

AlpineChip

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 2013 JKU Rubicon
Good thread and a lot of different reasons for having both (or more) Jeeps!

We have a 2013 JKU (Rubicon) and set up nicely for our uses on the trails and having fun. It was and still is a towed vehicle with our RV setup. For the last couple of years our RV travels including a lot of nice mountain excursions and we found ourselves thinking about spending a night or two away from the RV and staying in the beautiful places the four wheeling took us. Thus, we now have a 2023 JT (ecodiesel) and roof top tent setup. The JT has been awesome and as most have mentioned, drives so much better than the JKU but, each serves a purpose for us.
Now if I can only work in the Harley for some of the trips as well...

Toro34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 JKU Sport, 15 JK Sport, 23 Mojave
I still have my JKU (09, Auto - its still for sale, i was trying to sell it before i got the JT) and I have gone back and forth in my mind plenty of times about my Gladiator.

It's nice to have a newer vehicle, the interior amenities are great, the truck bed is handy, but overall, my JKU is definitely more capable off road, even though it's nowhere near as comfortable.

While the Gladiator is great, ultimately, to me, it wasnt worth the price for the upgrade. Especially since im basically making the same additons to the JT all over again

I went with the Mojave and was pretty disappointed in the shocks and overall suspension feel compared to the Falcon adjustables i have on my JKU (stock vs aftermarket, not a fair direct comparison, but i expected the Fox remote res to be more capable than they are) Im lucky to have both for now, but if push came to shove and money was an issue, the Gladiator would be the first to go

TLDR - the jku is a pig, the 4 speed auto and the 3.8 suck, but to me, the Gladiator isnt worth the $$ to upgrade

Stan H

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon 2021
Occupation
Safety Consultant
Okay so I am gonna blow ya all outta the water. I liked my 15' JKU it was actually a better vehicle. Gas Mileage was barely any different. The 3.6 in the original was stronger and had ever bit as much pep as the JT because the JT is heavier. The amount or space available to keep things dry on trips such as camping was better. The stereo was better It played CD's I haven't been able to play any of my CD's in 3 yrs. The 6 speed was smoother than the 8 speed which Jerks the guts out of you if you get on it to much especially on an incline. The JKU did not drag in the rear on a steep departure angle. The seats were more comfortable and the front seat went back further for me. The workmanship of the steering wheel was better as the black is coming off my buttons and the chrome off the center of the steering wheel emblem. The rubber is wearing off the window buttons. The transmission oil was able to be checked and added and changed and maintained easily. The only thing better about the JTR I have is the front axle and higher Payload and tow capacity. I hate the FAD though and will eliminate it . The JKU never had 4 wheel engagement problem. I really regret getting rid of it. If I was in your shoes and had the doe ray me . I would get another JKU TOMORROW .

insanitize

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Commando, 07 Rubi JKU, 2024 MINI, 21 Gladiator+
Occupation
NYC-DOT, Retired
My 2007 JKUR is more of a toy now bought it with 18 miles on it first new vehicle I ever owned about 99000 on it now.
JT is a 2021 Sport S Max Tow is only the second new vehicle I've ever owned.
I have owned about 50 vehicles in my life and there were more Jeeps than anything else.

20210630_162348.jpg

20230906_140455.jpg

RacerAV

First Name
Adamo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Jeep Lover
I had a '14 JKUR then a '17 JKUR Recon, now a '23 JT Mojave... I do miss the trunk area of my JKs, but man, my JT on 35s (OEM Mojave suspension) is just so smooth... LOVE the interior. (Hated leather, slipper). My cloth Mojave seats with the side bolsters, my full Topliner (just installed last weekend...) I feel like I'm driving a luxury Jeep lol... Tough call... I want to build this one up more, but I might just save that money for my dream LJ build...

I do think about the future tech issues I'll probably have, but that's all new cars now... everything is trying to be a tesla and I hate it... I miss the simplicity of my JKs... at least my JT doesn't have TOO many bells and whistles.. all that tech stuff is frustrating. I wanna change lanes without a blinker sometimes in the middle of nowhere and nobody around, LET ME DAMNIT lol
Sponsored