Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
re read his post….. 🤦‍♂️

though to counter his post. We have a 2006 crd Liberty with 140k miles- diesel was made by the same motori as the 3.0 only issue is the EGR gets gummed up every 40k miles….. (oh wait- so does almost every diesel egr….. just not as quick)
That's great. And good for you. Ya got lucky. Sometimes fate lands on your side.

The fact is that Italian engines are pale in comparison to USA or German or Japan.

Now for racing ? Well gotta love the Italians. But if you need your ice cream to make it home from Costco, life is better with a pentastar.

In most cases. Not edge cases.
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Where do you see that, not finding it
It is on your window sticker bottom right in the "Parts Content Information" box

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Trenton, MI is what google shows
There is more than one plant building Pentastar engines. Like I said, look at your window sticker or pull up any Gladiator or Wrangler window sticker with the Pentastar and it will show Mexico as country of origin for the engine.

Attachments

Sponsored

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
There is more than one plant building Pentastar engines. Like I said, look at your window sticker or pull up any Gladiator or Wrangler window sticker with the Pentastar and it will show Mexico as country of origin for the engine.
Well the design isn’t Italian, if it’s assembled in Mexico doesn’t mean it’s designed there

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Well the design isn’t Italian, if it’s assembled in Mexico doesn’t mean it’s designed there
The question was about where it was made and the ones in our Gladiator is made in Mexico. Someone else posted about the diesel that are designed and made in Italy but that has nothing to do with the Pentastar and the original thread premise.

If anything, the Pentastar design actually goes back to late Daimler/Chrysler era and has both USA and German inputs into its original design and architecture layout.

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The question was about where it was made and the ones in our Gladiator is made in Mexico. Someone else posted about the diesel that are designed and made in Italy but that has nothing to do with the Pentastar and the original thread premise.

If anything, the Pentastar design actually goes back to late Daimler/Chrysler era and has both USA and German inputs into its original design and architecture layout.
It does actually because he was referring to his Diesel engine being that much more reliable, reading comprehension, bro

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
It does actually because he was referring to his Diesel engine being that much more reliable, reading comprehension, bro
I first replied to your reply on where someone states the 3.6 is made in Mexico. Nothing more, nothing less.

Pisshead.jpg

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I first replied to your reply on where someone states the 3.6 is made in Mexico. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jeep Gladiator Beware 3.6 Penstar Pisshead
touché well, 68% of the parts come from the US at least. 😂

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bamaprof

Bamaprof

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
This was taken from a thread on a facebook group. This is a 2020 Gladiator with original everything - has over 200k miles. Not discrediting the OP's bad experience but regular 5k mile oil changes go along long way. By 3000 miles I already had did my 2nd oil change, 6k miles my 3rd
Jeep Gladiator Beware 3.6 Penstar Pisshead
I’ve done 3 oil changes in first 10,000 miles so doubt that is the problem

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got unlucky I guess, but no more unlucky than the majority in comparison that have had issues with the ecodiesel

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve owned numerous Jeeps - including 392 and diesel. My latest purchase was a brand new 2021 Mojave and I foolishly opted for the 3.6 motor due to it’s length of production, assuming all the bugs were worked out long ago. At 3,000 miles after the first oil change, the oft-reported “ticking” noise began due to faulty lifters. At 10,000 miles it sounded like a diesel! I took it back to the local Jeep dealer. Had to make an appointment and bring it back 10 days later. Now 2 weeks later, they still have not had the time to look at it, much less work on it, nor to order parts. Granted, they did give me a loaner, but after spending $80,000 (with considerable modifications), my jeep is greatly depreciated (carfax will reflect engine work), can’t be driven, and who knows when I will get it back? The lesson to all this is: read about the class action lawsuit against Jeep for defective 3.6 engines with lifter design flaws before making my mistake!
I have a 2020 Gladiator Rubicon with over 55,000 miles with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

jwolfejt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Not saying it was - just saying the 3.6 is inherent with a design flaw that causes this. Most of the issues with the 3.6 are due to assembly snafu's. I've had 2 other vehicles with pentastars and they were both trouble free. I personally seen a Ram 1500 with over 250k miles (with the pentastar) that had a hard life of towing and hauling. Many people have put tons of miles on these engines - its true that some have had issues but its not because of a design flaw. You can look up vehicles with pentastar v6's everywhere - you will see plenty with well north of 150k miles - original engine without a fault. They've built countless 10s of millions of them. Many people buy FCA/Stellantis products and Prefer/choose this engine over others - Hemi's have their share of issues, as does the LT chevy v8's as do the new coyotes with laser welded bores. The main competition i see here is the 2GR-FKS and i'd take a pentastar over that anyday. Within our local Jeep group we have a few JK's with the 3.6 and over 130k miles - 0 engine issues - sure some have had oil coolers fail - but that isn't the end of the world (or uncommon on other engines even). I've seen 22RE's blow headgaskets with less than 30k miles on the clock - it does not mean the 22RE is a bad engine (they did have faulty Headgaskets on some of them) and many regard that engine (as myself) as one of the most reliable engines ever made.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
The fact that he thinks something like this designed in Italy is more reliable than something made in the US is laughable.
My 2020 gladiator needed a top end. It was a 3.6L it was rough running threw misfire codes when it sustained any high rpm and multiple dealers said it was normal. It didnt even make it to 40k miles before i had to trade it in after multiple dealers looking at it saying its normal.

My 2015 2 door wrangler 3.6l also had cylinder head/lifter issues and got the heads redone prior to 30k miles and then started ticking again right at the 35k mark before i traded it off.

My 2022 diesel has been perfect. It only has 10k miles but I doubt there will be any issues with a good maintenance schedule and knowledge on how the emissions systems operates. It idles so much smoother than the 3.6L and doesnt have that terrible throttle response or torque dip that plagues those engines. People with simple minds always say diesels are less reliable but if that were true then all heavy industry would be using gas engines. Not to mention the fuel economy, drastic power increase, and simplicity of the diesel motor itself over the gas. I wish i never purchased the 2020 3.6L. I would have saved thousands in fuel costs alone not to mention actually being able to accelerate up hills :)
Sponsored