Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Maybe it’s a regional thing? I didn’t order mine. I bought it brand new off the lot a day after they got it and i live in northern MN. Actually went to the dealership looking for a JLU but the JTM caught my eye.
Possibly . I live in Montana. Not unusual to see -20 temps
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm. I just checked where it goes behind the compressor and it's not there. I do have the cold weather package. According to the owners manual

"The engine block heater and heater cord are factory installed options. If your vehicle is not equipped, engine block heaters and heater cords are available from an authorized Mopar® dealer."

So I will have to ask my dealer if they can put one in. Darn. I was hoping it would have been in already. Taking apart new vehicles is not a fun thought.

EDIT : this statement was under the diesel section, my mistake. No statement about block heater mentioned in the gasser section. Parts department at Jeep said their system does not show a block heater for the 3.6
There is a block heater available. I ordered one from @AllMoparParts.com for my gas engine. Due to the amount of effort required, I have not installed it yet.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
It is my understanding that all Motori 3.0 diesels have the block heaters already installed from the factory. When ordering from Mopar factory, all you are getting is the cord for the $100 fee. You can but them all day for under $30. I bought the cord on line and installed it and saved the other $70.
This is how it was during the first model year JT diesels. Now, it is no longer included and has to be ordered.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
It is my understanding that all Motori 3.0 diesels have the block heaters already installed from the factory. When ordering from Mopar factory, all you are getting is the cord for the $100 fee. You can but them all day for under $30. I bought the cord on line and installed it and saved the other $70.
They dropped the block heater for the diesel in late '21. i tried to order one when i ordered my JTRD in Jan. The dealer said that Jeep dropped the option. I checked to see if I had the heater installed anyway. It's just a brass plug sitting there.

Sponsored

Butch-R-Vols

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland 3.0 Diesel, 2011 Honda CRV
Occupation
Retired
Gotta make the all mighty dollar somehow, ya know. Must have figured they could charge twice as much for it if they made it an option. LOL

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I grew up in Montana. You always order the engine block heater. I now live in Western Washington but still ordered it. You never know where you may end up someday. Heck, it was only $85.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Restarting this thread. I know @bailer shared his install link above. Curious what everyone thinks about the functionality of this being a 'dry' block heater. I asked my dealer about it last week when they replaced the trans pan (still leaking tho) and they were very confused themselves and didn't understand. So, I'm curious how well it actually works and if it's worth having the dealer install. Probably would be couple hundred bucks installed, so want to make sure its a valuable option. Temps are starting to freeze overnight already.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
They dropped the block heater for the diesel in late '21. i tried to order one when i ordered my JTRD in Jan. The dealer said that Jeep dropped the option. I checked to see if I had the heater installed anyway. It's just a brass plug sitting there.
I realize this is dated...
But
Wondering if I am in the same situation. I have a 22 JTRD, so built in the tailend of 21... I thought I remember adding a block heater to the build, I do have the cold weather package... I recently looked at my window sticker, a block heater wasn't listed. I was trying to locate the plug, but couldn't find it.

Is the brass plug where the actual heater should be located on the passenger side, kinda where the top of the trans mates to the motor ?
I guess that is the only way to know for sure... is to look.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I realize this is dated...
But
Wondering if I am in the same situation. I have a 22 JTRD, so built in the tailend of 21... I thought I remember adding a block heater to the build, I do have the cold weather package... I recently looked at my window sticker, a block heater wasn't listed. I was trying to locate the plug, but couldn't find it.

Is the brass plug where the actual heater should be located on the passenger side, kinda where the top of the trans mates to the motor ?
I guess that is the only way to know for sure... is to look.
Yeah, the plug is on the passenger side. It's best to remove the tire.

Here's the best install thread on it.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/ecodiesel-block-heater-installation.63131/

Jeep Gladiator Block heater? 1703123156600

Jeep Gladiator Block heater? 1703123237773

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Yeah, the plug is on the passenger side. It's best to remove the tire.

Here's the best install thread on it.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/ecodiesel-block-heater-installation.63131/

1703123156600.png

1703123237773.png
Thanks

When you installed yours, did the antifreeze continue to leak out until you put the new plug in or did it eventually stop on its own ?
ALSO
Im tring to figure out the old vs new plug.
If I just have the brass plug... can I screw in the new style heater into it ? Or do I have to swap it out with the old style heater and replace it completely ? I'm not sure what the requirements are for either one. I was hoping someone with the new style would have posted pics of how it attached to the brass plug/installed.

Edit:
I was already following the other thread you suggested, but thanks.

I ran the part#(68523853AA) the new style and it states dor the 22/23. So my thinking is, when they decide to not include the "internal" style heater, they used a brass plug that accepts the new style heater to make installation easier/less messy.

I know people mentioned performance between the two, but the new style should work as well IMO. because if you look at the plug versus the internal heater, they both extend inside touching the coolant about the same amount... so if tbe new style plugs in and conducts enough heat transfer, it should be very similar, it would be nice to know if the wattage/amp is the same on both styles or even better, slightly higher on the new style. 🤷‍♂️
I know thats alot, hopefully makes sense... lol

Last edited:

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Thanks

When you installed yours, did the antifreeze continue to leak out until you put the new plug in or did it eventually stop on its own ?
ALSO
Im tring to figure out the old vs new plug.
If I just have the brass plug... can I screw in the new style heater into it ? Or do I have to swap it out with the old style heater and replace it completely ? I'm not sure what the requirements are for either one. I was hoping someone with the new style would have posted pics of how it attached to the brass plug/installed.
It stopped on it's own. Figure that I lost about a 1/2 gallon.

If the you have the one on the left. All you need is the cord. If you have the one on the right. You either replace it with the left one. Or use the new style that goes into the one on the right. I'm thinking since you have a '22 build. You have the one on the right.

Jeep Gladiator Block heater? 1703127652347

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
It stopped on it's own. Figure that I lost about a 1/2 gallon.

If the you have the one on the left. All you need is the cord. If you have the one on the right. You either replace it with the left one. Or use the new style that goes into the one on the right. I'm thinking since you have a '22 build. You have the one on the right.

1703127652347.png
Cool, do you by chance have the part# for the new style... seems like it would be an easier install without loosing coolant. I live in Alabama, we get in tbe low teens regularly but not sub 0 for any length of time, so it seems the "dry" heater would work as well as the "wet" heater in my climate ??

EDIT:
I believe the correct part # is 68523853AA seem they are around $120 shipped...

Now to hunt down a decent cord, I wonder if the old and new style heater uses the same plug ?

Last edited:

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Cool, do you by chance have the part# for the new style... seems like it would be an easier install without loosing coolant. I live in Alabama, we get in tbe low teens regularly but not sub 0 for any length of time, so it seems the "dry" heater would
The old style block heater # 56044738AA.
The new style blocker heater # 68523853AA. You will need the matching cord.

This thread has more details.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/ecodiesel-block-heater-installation.63131/page-3
Sponsored