Sponsored

Building a Mojavicon: Adding Lockers and Swaybar to a Mojave

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
You said, "Different stock springs and shocks, iron steering knuckles instead of aluminum, and a slightly beefed up frame."

Stock springs - springs are cheap and any spring can be purchased aftermarket.
Shocks - Aftermarket offers far better options
Higher tow rating - No one needs to buy a Mojave to get "higher tow rating"
Higher payload - Doubt this is even worth talking about but how much more?

You've convinced me even more that going Mojave isn't worth the cost for what you get and if you modify it you've wasted your money. IMO
I wasn't trying to convince you to go Mojave at all. I was just listing the differences and the rubi or max tow are the higher payload higher towing trims the Mojave is lower on all 3 because it has the softest springs and ride.

I actually agree with you that the Mojave is the perfect add 35s and call it good trim. Once you want to lift or build it out though a max tow or a rubi seem like a better platform to me personally. I think the hardest thing is swallowing the 3k price for aftermarket adjustable shocks and hydro bumps but once you do youre in a better spot.
Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Ok so has anyone seen a thread on putting Rubi lockers in a Sport S Ecodiesel?

RyderGear

First Name
Ryder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave (Manual)
Occupation
CEO Ryder Gear LLC
You said, "Different stock springs and shocks, iron steering knuckles instead of aluminum, and a slightly beefed up frame."

Stock springs - springs are cheap and any spring can be purchased aftermarket.
Shocks - Aftermarket offers far better options
Higher tow rating - No one needs to buy a Mojave to get "higher tow rating"
Higher payload - Doubt this is even worth talking about but how much more?

You've convinced me even more that going Mojave isn't worth the cost for what you get and if you modify it you've wasted your money. IMO
I still think you do not understand what you are talking about AT ALL. The Rubicon and the Mojave have the same MSRP.... and the suspension on the Mojave isn't just springs, its custom built with remote resivoirs, not an easy install at all. IMO the Mojave is a far better deal for a more rugged and robust high speed desert offroad vehicle with very straightforward ways to add all the capability of a rubi.... but indeed thats my opinion.

Also has not been discussed but Mojave comes stock with rear locker thats available in 4H for dune running. This is impossible for a rubi unless you remove the electronic rear locker and install a rear air locker. Something no one would ever do.

i think time will tell..... but I can see the mojave edition making its way into the Wrangler models and being very popular. The more solid frame and the iron knuckles on the mojave are far superior to the rubicon.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I still think you do not understand what you are talking about AT ALL. The Rubicon and the Mojave have the same MSRP.... and the suspension on the Mojave isn't just springs, its custom built with remote resivoirs, not an easy install at all. IMO the Mojave is a far better deal for a more rugged and robust high speed desert offroad vehicle with very straightforward ways to add all the capability of a rubi.... but indeed thats my opinion.

Also has not been discussed but Mojave comes stock with rear locker thats available in 4H for dune running. This is impossible for a rubi unless you remove the electronic rear locker and install a rear air locker. Something no one would ever do.

i think time will tell..... but I can see the mojave edition making its way into the Wrangler models and being very popular. The more solid frame and the iron knuckles on the mojave are far superior to the rubicon.
The Rubicon also gets the rear locker in 4h I use it all the time off road. Put it in 4h, hit off-road+ hold esc until the dash says it's off (5-10 seconds) lock rear.

I'd argue it's much harder to install a front locker than the 8 bolts and 4 screws for fox remotes or 8 bolts for falcons. The shocks on the Mojave are great but it's not hard to add them on after and with extended travel and adjusters.

Sponsored

ToJTornottoJT

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1997 Jeep XJ
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser/Broker
Why not go with ARB lockers, that way you can turn them on and off any time you want.

Wyofuy069

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jt Mojave
Occupation
Sales
My rd245 ARB locker, air compressor, and ARB diff cover all shipped today. Iā€™ll hopefully have them put on in two or three weeks. Lt3 studded Hakkapeliitta tires will be next. Should be all ready for winter.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
The more solid frame and the iron knuckles on the mojave are far superior to the rubicon.

Yeah, every Rubicon owner regrets their decision because of the amazing "more solid frame" and iron knuckles.

Unfortunately Rubicon owners can't upgrade their frame and those iron knuckles aren't an aftermarket option (yet :CWL: )

I don't see the Rubicon ever being sold again :facepalm:

Last edited:

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Self Employed
Yeah, every Rubicon owner regrets their decision because of the amazing "more solid frame" and iron knuckles.

Unfortunately Rubicon owners can't upgrade their frame and those iron knuckles aren't an aftermarket option (yet :CWL: )

I don't see the Rubicon ever being sold again :facepalm:
OMG šŸ˜±

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
Different stock springs and shocks, iron steering knuckles instead of aluminum, and a slightly beefed up frame.

There are pro's and con's to which one you start with. If you start with a rubi you have to spend ~ 3K on shocks and hydro bumps and if you want the iron steering knuckles i think its like between 600 and 1K. The beefed up frame you wont ever get.

If you start with a mojave, you're limited to a 2 inch spacer lift, or else you'll have to get rid of the bypass shocks and springs which is really what makes a mojave a mojave. You also will always have lower payload and tow ratings compared to the rubicon.

It really comes down to what (if any) lift you are adding. No lift, or good with a 2 inch spacer lift, go mojave. If you want a coil lift, adjustable shocks, higher tow rating, or higher payload go rubi.
Psstā€¦ my Rubi has the beefier iron knuckle, stock, from the factory.

Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
The more solid frame and the iron knuckles on the mojave are far superior to the rubicon.
Psstā€¦Iā€™ll put my stock Rubi knuckles up against a Mojave. Mine are the same iron.

Iā€™ll grant you the frame.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Sarge Mojave, ā€˜21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
Psstā€¦ my Rubi has the beefier iron knuckle, stock, from the factory.
If so then someone messed up your build, kinda like those Jeeps that show up with the wrong fenders. Rubicons should have the aluminum knuckles. Be happy with your accidental upgrade!

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
If so then someone messed up your build, kinda like those Jeeps that show up with the wrong fenders. Rubicons should have the aluminum knuckles. Be happy with your accidental upgrade!
Every diesel Rubi has them.
Only thing I lack are frame reinforcement, hydraulic bump stops, and fancy shocks.

I donā€™t run desert, so frame isnā€™t a big deal. I lifted more than 2ā€ so Mojave shocks arenā€™t a big deal. The bump stops would be cool to have, but my off-roading is slower, rocks, technical where I appreciate the 4:1 and Uber-cool bump stops donā€™t matter much.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Only thing I lack are frame reinforcement, hydraulic bump stops, and fancy shocks.

I donā€™t run desert, so frame isnā€™t a big deal. I lifted more than 2ā€ so Mojave shocks arenā€™t a big deal. The bump stops would be cool to have, but my off-roading is slower, rocks, technical where I appreciate the 4:1 and Uber-cool bump stops donā€™t matter much.
I actually believe the diesel is reinforced as well due to the extra weight.

I know you have some reinforcements in the front at least due to things like the sector shaft brace requiring gusset cutting on the diesel and Mojave.

Makes you wonder if the Mojave wasn't partially a product of the diesel frame/knuckles being thrown on a gasser

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Sarge Mojave, ā€˜21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant

Huh, I hadnā€™t realized the diesels got those. Nifty.

I wonder what the real cost/weight savings is for the aluminum ones that makes it worth having both?

I used to be a slow rock crawler (and had a series of Rubicons over the years) but thatā€™s just not my style these days, and my wifeā€™s back canā€™t take the back and forth rocking anymore unfortunately. I do miss it sometimes though, and it was always fun to drop it into that crazy low range and let it idle over obstacles.
Sponsored