Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) For Gladiator Manual Transmiss [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel and 2021 Wrangler 4xe
Yeah I don't think they would. Just being a cellular tech I know trouble shooting and I know nobody ever tells me their cell tower is working fine... So you start to notice the patterns of known issues. I was wondering what they could think of it being off the top of their head or if they recognize the experience.

I hope it's something with the dual Mass flywheel and not the Asain transmission. It's just strange that I only ever experienced it in 3rd gear. That I am certain of.
I donā€™t really think so, the clutch is long past engaged and cruising down the road with a steady foot. I figured it was engine tuning. But who knows. I though third gear was just a coincidence, enough load for the issue and enough gear reduction to feel it ... perhaps it does it in 6th, but canā€™t feel it since engine is loaded down.

i donā€™t know.
Sponsored

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
But the root of their issue seems to be air in the clutch lines or clutch cylinder causing the clutch to not fully disengage and constantly slip although the pedal is fully pressed down, causing the overheating. They've had stuff done to their clutch lines.
Seems to me the test for that (dragging rather than slipping, while disengaged) would be to simply put it in 1st, put the clutch pedal to the floor, rev the engine with the brake off and see if it moves at all.

They're also talking about a test that's being done for the recall where their Jeep is Reved to 4000 and the clutch is dropped in fourth to check if it slips or stalls.
That strikes me as a test to see if the clutch is slipping/not clamping while engaged.

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
@jimbom Found it

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCRIT-20V124-1465.pdf

4. Fully depress to the clutch pedal and move shift lever into 4th gear.

5. Raise the engine to 4,000 RPM (Revolutions Per Minute).

6. Engage the clutch rapidly and simultaneously move the accelerator to wide open throttle.

If the engine stalls immediately without the engine RPM increasing, the clutch heath test has passed, no further service is required return the vehicle to the customer.

NOTE: Allow a minimum of 5 minutes for the clutch odor to dissipate before returning vehicle to the customer.

ļƒ˜ If the engine RPM increases (indicating clutch slippage) and then stalls the clutch health test failed, follow section C. Replace Clutch Procedure.

ļƒ˜ If the engine RPM increases (indicating clutch slippage) but does not stall the clutch health test failed, follow section C. Replace Clutch Procedure"

Maximus Meridius

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S , 2018 Jeep Compass, 2016 WRX
YES!!! How the heck do you describe it without the service writer looking at you like a retard???

ā€œ It feel like the throttle is being blipped, i blamed myself for the first 1000miles, but i am convinced that the truck is doing it on its own. its slight but its there. and its always 3rd when i detect it. is seems to always be shortly after shifting with light throttle.ā€

Your correct.
Mine does it in other gears, but mostly 3rd. It did it a LOT early on but still does once in a while now, with 7600 miles on it. Iā€™m sure it is the variable cam timing doing itā€™s thing even though it occasionally feels abrupt. Must be when the computer matches up all the xā€™s and oā€™s and the timing shifts. My JKU did it too but I had hoped they would have fixed it by now. Guess not. I donā€™t know if it does it or how it feels on an automatic.
It feels like an old carburetor with a bad accelerator pump, if you ever drove one, back when. Goin back a while!!!

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
It feels like an old carburetor with a bad accelerator pump, if you ever drove one, back when. Goin back a while!!!
I don't know about that, I would say it's closer to the feeling of an automatic that's shifting hard because it's low on transmission fluid. I had a Mazda tribute that was very low on transmission fluid and when it shifted in low gears it would slam you forward. The Jeep is just a gentle bump forward and I've only seen it in third, not shifting...

You think it's the engine not transmission? Was your JKU a manual?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't want to get this thread off topic too much, so how does any anybody else feel about the clutch test?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...tch-pressure-plate.47887/page-28#post-1111420

Sponsored

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
No way am I going to let some idiot do a 4th gear, 4000 rpm clutch dump on my gladiator.
Lol.

"B. Clutch Health Check Procedure

NOTE: The clutch health check procedure requires a technician that has experience in driving manual transmission vehicles.

NOTE: Limit the test to one time, to prevent excessive clutch odor.

Doesn't make you feel any better?

Djkemeneur

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Iā€™ll buy my new Gladiator next week from a stock local dealer. Do you tink is better to ask for change pressure plate?

mojocho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ll buy my new Gladiator next week from a stock local dealer. Do you tink is better to ask for change pressure plate?
If the dealer is selling it from their lot, they theoretically have done the test and any necessary recall work. So your request would probably be denied as in their eyes, it is unnecessary.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
That is not going to happen.

Sponsored

Maximus Meridius

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My last 3 were manuals. 2 JKā€™s and a CJ.
Yes, I think what I am feeling when it bumps in 3rd is the variable cam timing doing itā€™s thing. My JKU was a 3.6L and it bumped and jerked the same. Mine, when you are accelerating up the street pulling out of the driveway on a cold start has jerking as your winding out 1st gear. It is not severe but noticeable. Itā€™s like it is giving you the timing in spurts. My JKU basically drove exactly the same as this JT.

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
My last 3 were manuals. 2 JKā€™s and a CJ.
Yes, I think what I am feeling when it bumps in 3rd is the variable cam timing doing itā€™s thing. My JKU was a 3.6L and it bumped and jerked the same. Mine, when you are accelerating up the street pulling out of the driveway on a cold start has jerking as your winding out 1st gear. It is not severe but noticeable. Itā€™s like it is giving you the timing in spurts. My JKU basically drove exactly the same as this JT.
Same 3.6L v6 pentastar? Anything to fix about that variable cam timing?

Maximus Meridius

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same 3.6L v6 pentastar? Anything to fix about that variable cam timing?
Yes, basically the identical engine except for a few new enhancements. My truck has the Gen 2 engine in it that came out for the 2020 launch. I believe it is mostly emissions related. There wasnā€™t a fix for the jerking on my JK and the dealer constantly said it was normal. The same as my JT. Iā€™m sure it is software related. Also I think ambient temperature and the oil viscosity come into play as the cam phasers advance and retard the cam timing. I think the jerk is when the solenoid cuts the oil loose to activate the phaser and it snaps the cam and gives a noticeable jerk as the engine responds to the timing change.
Just my opinion. I think the majority of drivability complaints are software related. And these truck engines are detuned compared to other vehicles in the FCA line up that run the same 3.6L Pentastar.

Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Explorer Sport Track, 04 Suzuki VL800, 06 Lincoln Zephyr, 16 Jeep Renegade
I took my truck in for the recall service last week and was disappointed at their response.
When I asked the service manager what was done he said the tech's notes are on the work order, I think he adjusted the slave cylinder sleeve. WTF???????

Jeep Gladiator Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) For Gladiator Manual Transmiss [overheating clutch pressure plate] Service Descriptio

Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Explorer Sport Track, 04 Suzuki VL800, 06 Lincoln Zephyr, 16 Jeep Renegade
After driving for a week post service I will say the clutch feels better than before. I can ease the clutch out in first without giving it any gas and it doesn't stall. Reverse is a lot smoother also. It still feels too light for my tast and gives little feedback.
Sponsored